Google dude: 90% of people don't know how to use CTRL+F

Started by Syt, August 22, 2011, 06:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2011, 09:23:35 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2011, 09:19:11 AM
This thread needs a CTRL + ALT + DEL. :bleeding:
:lol:  You don't actually know what CTRL + ALT + DEL does, do you?

Try it and find out.
You can use ctrl + alt + Delete to get to the task manager and close a program. So I can of work in a round about way.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on August 24, 2011, 09:33:44 AM
You can use ctrl + alt + Delete to get to the task manager and close a program. So I can of work in a round about way.
ALT + F, X will get you there faster.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Try it and find out.
You of all people should remember that once upon a time, that combination restarted your computer directly, without an intermediate screen.  The result of the keystroke may have changed, but the useage in English language remained.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2011, 09:44:08 AM
You of all people should remember that once upon a time, that combination restarted your computer directly, without an intermediate screen.  The result of the keystroke may have changed, but the useage in English language remained.
Whatever, grandpa.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2011, 07:23:27 AM
Not every possible command is implemented or implemented in the same way in every application, so you have to use the dropdowns (or read the documentation) to find out which ones are applicable.  For instance, click on the edit button in your browser.  You may or may not see "replace CTRL + H" listed (it isn't implemented in Firefox; CTRL + H is implemented as "history").

I will ignore the arrogant parts of you post - its the only way really.  And thank you for the helpful part.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2011, 09:44:08 AM

Try it and find out.

I have doubts about how deep that usage penetrated and how lasting it will really be given that it no longer plays such a role.

Sounds more like nerdspeak - an xckd worthy comic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

It still plays such a role to an extent.  If your program freezes up, what do you press?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2011, 11:56:14 AM
It still plays such a role to an extent.  If your program freezes up, what do you press?

There are many other reasons to press that combination now (a menu screen with many options pops up)*. And besides made programs when frozen - if you click the x at the top or right click on the program's entry in the taskbar - pop up with that menu asking you if you'd like to force the frozen program to shut down.

*I've even seen some setups where you have to push that sequence to get the login screen to show up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2011, 11:56:14 AM

I just hit the key board with my fists.  Then the CPU.  Then myself.  Something eventually restarts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017