Google dude: 90% of people don't know how to use CTRL+F

Started by Syt, August 22, 2011, 06:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 22, 2011, 08:49:18 AM
Did you see that abortion of fan art he posted in the off topic topic? Jesus wept.
I did, and I read the explanation....someone deserves a cock-punch.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Cecil

Well I suppose you learn something new every day. And I´ve been using computers every day since the 80ies.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2011, 07:24:46 AM
A lot of people don't know what their emergency brake is for, either.  BFD.

It's for making that grinding noise.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

People not using CTRL+F doesn't mean they don't use the find function.  I've never used the keyboard shortcut, I access it from the menu.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on August 22, 2011, 07:21:39 AM
So the solution to poorly designed user interface is training? :bleeding:

This. :contract:

We've known since at least 1984 that requiring a series of arcane keyboard commands just doesn't work well.  Now I do know Ctrl-F (well, Command-F actually :cool:), and several others, but any feature that relies on command keys is going to be a fature that few people use.

As an aside, hands up by everyone who remembers those godawful keyboard layovers showing what all the F commands did in programs like WordPerfect 5.1. :bleeding:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Cecil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 22, 2011, 01:16:52 PM
People not using CTRL+F doesn't mean they don't use the find function.  I've never used the keyboard shortcut, I access it from the menu.

Something like that yeah but I guess that would make for a less condescending article no?  :(

crazy canuck

20 years ago knowing the appropriate keystroke shortcuts was a bit odd (hence the keyboard overlays BB talked about).  Now not knowing it is considered odd.

My how times change.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2011, 02:03:47 PM
20 years ago knowing the appropriate keystroke shortcuts was a bit odd (hence the keyboard overlays BB talked about).  Now not knowing it is considered odd.

My how times change.

I'm not sure I'd highlight keyboard shortcuts as an example of how times change. Really minor when compared to things like smartphones and the like. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

My how times change.

That's not what I said at all.

I think 25 years ago a lot more people know keyboard shortcuts.  Now, thanks to the rise of the GUI, they're much less common.  With the rise of touch interfaces maybe we can finally kill them off for good.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 22, 2011, 02:11:54 PM

My how times change.

I think 25 years ago a lot more people know keyboard shortcuts.  Now, thanks to the rise of the GUI, they're much less common.  With the rise of touch interfaces maybe we can finally kill them off for good.

You are definitely the most literal person I know.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2011, 02:42:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 22, 2011, 02:11:54 PM

My how times change.

You are definitely the most literal person I know.

:yeah: :yeah:

grumbler

What I find hilarious about all these "well, duh, I just click and click and click until I find what I want, rather than using the old-dashioned keyboard shortcuts" posters is that the keyboard shortcuts are right there in the dropdown menu where they are clicking away!  :lol:

It isn't that they are new-fashioned, it is that they aren't paying attention.

I never use the click-click-click method to do any common tasks on a computer, where there is a keyboard shortcut to do the same thing.  ctrl + C, ctrl + v, delete key, ctrl + z, all of these are faster by far than clicking in dropdowns, and easy to remember once you start using them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"