Google dude: 90% of people don't know how to use CTRL+F

Started by Syt, August 22, 2011, 06:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on August 22, 2011, 04:59:59 PM
I never use the click-click-click method to do any common tasks on a computer, where there is a keyboard shortcut to do the same thing.  ctrl + C, ctrl + v, delete key, ctrl + z, all of these are faster by far than clicking in dropdowns, and easy to remember once you start using them.

You are the poster boy for the modern Geek.  Congratulations. :hug:

Ideologue

What I find hilarious about all these "well, duh, I just click and click and click until I find what I want, rather than using the old-dashioned keyboard shortcuts" posters is that the keyboard shortcuts are right there in the dropdown menu where they are clicking away!  :lol:

It isn't that they are new-fashioned, it is that they aren't paying attention.

I never use the click-click-click method to do any common tasks on a computer, where there is a keyboard shortcut to do the same thing.  ctrl + C, ctrl + v, delete key, ctrl + z, all of these are faster by far than clicking in dropdowns, and easy to remember once you start using them.

I just keep the find box open all the time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2011, 05:13:51 PM
:lol:  So you think efficiency is a "Geek" attribute?  Good luck selling that conceit of yours!  :cool:

But, yes, thanks, I am a poster-boy for using technology tools efficiently. :smarty:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on August 22, 2011, 05:48:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2011, 05:13:51 PM
:lol:  So you think efficiency is a "Geek" attribute?  Good luck selling that conceit of yours!  :cool:

But, yes, thanks, I am a poster-boy for using technology tools efficiently. :smarty:

I was complimenting you on your ability (and pride) to memorize a number of key strokes.  You will look good on the next issue of Modern Geek.  Dont get all upset.

garbon

My mother and aunt can manage ctrl + c, ctrl + v, ctrl +x and ctrl + z after I taught those to them. I don't really think they'd qualify as "modern Geeks". :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2011, 05:50:40 PM
I was complimenting you on your ability (and pride) to memorize a number of key strokes.  You will look good on the next issue of Modern Geek.  Dont get all upset.
Don't burst into tears because your little bon mot got one-upped!  :lol:

Your pride in your inability to memorize a few keystrokes is probably misplaced, given that you are exposed to those keystrokes every time you click on your menus, but if you lack an ability, I won't hold it against you.  You just go ahead and use what you can.  Everyone else can note that the keystrokes appear in the menus themselves, and save some time by using the shortcuts the next time.  The "memorization" isn't an issue for people of average mental capacity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on August 22, 2011, 07:09:03 PM

Your pride in your inability to memorize a few keystrokes is probably misplaced, given that you are exposed to those keystrokes every time you click on your menus, but if you lack an ability, I won't hold it against you.  You just go ahead and use what you can.  Everyone else can note that the keystrokes appear in the menus themselves, and save some time by using the shortcuts the next time.  The "memorization" isn't an issue for people of average mental capacity.

I don't remember when I first stumbled onto this forum from EUOT, probably 2001 or something?

Since that time I've had my varying levels of like and dislike for different posters but I can honestly say grumbler is the most worthless poster on any message board I've ever posted on ever. People like him are why we as a species went from communal living into walled off single family dwellings and why we have guns and guard dogs to keep the rest of society out.

11B4V

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 22, 2011, 09:36:27 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 22, 2011, 07:09:03 PM

I don't remember when I first stumbled onto this forum from EUOT, probably 2001 or something?

Since that time I've had my varying levels of like and dislike for different posters but I can honestly say grumbler is the most worthless poster on any message board I've ever posted on ever. People like him are why we as a species went from communal living into walled off single family dwellings and why we have guns and guard dogs to keep the rest of society out.
I would disagree. Your wrong. Quit being a girl.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2011, 06:16:05 PM
My mother and aunt can manage ctrl + c, ctrl + v, ctrl +x and ctrl + z after I taught those to them. I don't really think they'd qualify as "modern Geeks". :hmm:

I agree.  Probably because they would be unlikely to proclaim how superior they are because of that fact.  Something which truly sets Grumber apart.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 22, 2011, 09:36:27 PM
Thank you!  If you, Gral, marti, and Slargos all dislike my posting, I know I am doing something very right, indeed.

Please, continue this diatribe.

Bayraktar!

C.C.R.

What I find hilarious about all these "well, duh, I just click and click and click until I find what I want, rather than using the old-dashioned keyboard shortcuts" posters is that the keyboard shortcuts are right there in the dropdown menu where they are clicking away!  :lol:

It isn't that they are new-fashioned, it is that they aren't paying attention.

Totally fair & true, IMO.

I have ctrl+c & ctrl+v memorized because I use them all of the time, but similar to what Ide says above I didn't have ctrl+f memorized because I would just use the dropdown for "Find" on the one or two occassions a year that I needed it.  As with anything & everything in Life, YMMV on just about everything.  If teaching keyboard shortcuts to somebody somehow enriches their life, then great -- Power To The People & shit.  If not, well, no skin off my balls...

:ccr

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 11:09:34 AM
I agree.  Probably because they would be unlikely to proclaim how superior they are because of that fact.  Something which truly sets Grumber apart.
:lol:  Where did I claim I was "superior?"  I was noting how simple it was to read and use the shortcuts. 

People who can read are actually the average, not "superior" (to the average, anyway) no matter how "superior" the ability to read may look from your perspective.  :hug:

Bayraktar!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: C.C.R. on August 23, 2011, 11:45:29 AM
I have ctrl+c & ctrl+v memorized because I use them all of the time, but similar to what Ide says above I didn't have ctrl+f memorized because I would just use the dropdown for "Find" on the one or two occassions a year that I needed it.  As with anything & everything in Life, YMMV on just about everything.  If teaching keyboard shortcuts to somebody somehow enriches their life, then great -- Power To The People & shit. 
Exactly.  People will only learn the ones they use, but all you really need to do is teach people to look at the menus as they click on them, so that they will see the shortcuts for the next time they want to use that function (and, if they forget, they just, like you, use the menu again).  This isn't rocket science at all.

I use CTRL + F a lot because I do a lot of research.  People who do a lot of formatting probably use CTRL + T, which I don't recall ever using.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

I use Ctrl-T a lot because it opens a new tab in a web browser.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.