How the wannabe super-morbidly-obese justify their lifestyle

Started by Brazen, August 24, 2011, 03:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 08:13:49 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 25, 2011, 08:12:54 AM
@raz: from the pic i've seen, he does not look fat at all :mellow:

Raz has to compulsively insult Marty in every thread he posts in.

It's for his own good.  I'm helping him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 08:47:03 AMI'm helping him.

let's pretend you're not trolling again, as it's pretty obvious you hate the dude (and slargos), and this is at least the second time you've recently claimed this while earlier you were adamant about how you only ever attack martinus when he says something dumb. how is it helping him?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on August 25, 2011, 08:35:38 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2011, 05:53:46 AM
If one kept hydrated I wonder how long you could fast before keeling over with that weight? :hmm:

Yes someone wanted to discuss this with me some time ago

That's an interesting way of putting it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: LaCroix on August 25, 2011, 08:32:41 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 08:13:49 AMRaz has to compulsively insult Marty in every thread he posts in.
i know, i was just shooting it down. i mean, really, does he not realize that it makes him no better than the person he thinks martinus is? no one else stalks posters to the degree he does (excepting hvc toward ed, ofc). imo, it's kinda creepy
If you side with Martinus, you'll be counted amongst him when The People finally rise up and pass judgement on him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2011, 09:19:12 AM
If one kept hydrated I wonder how long you could fast before keeling over with that weight? :hmm:

Yes someone wanted to discuss this with me some time ago

That's an interesting way of putting it.

:blurgh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Yes someone wanted to discuss this with me some time ago. I said that as long as you get water you should be alive for a long time, with a caveat about possible trace element shortages or similar which I know very little about that could come into play at extreme fat reserves. Otherwise what would be the point of storing fat? Other mammals are known to be able to fast for months even while active. I don't remember ever hearing about a person dying from starvation while still having significant body fat.
Based on what happened to my son before he was diagnosed with diabetes, I think burning fat cells raises the acidity of the blood. It's called ketoacidosis. I don't know for certain, though, if it is a danger for simple fasting in a non-diabetic.

Iormlund

Yes someone wanted to discuss this with me some time ago. I said that as long as you get water you should be alive for a long time, with a caveat about possible trace element shortages or similar which I know very little about that could come into play at extreme fat reserves. Otherwise what would be the point of storing fat? Other mammals are known to be able to fast for months even while active. I don't remember ever hearing about a person dying from starvation while still having significant body fat.

With fat available your body will cannibalize a lot less protein, but you'll still run out eventually. I've been up to 3 weeks without much sustenance, starting at maybe 5 to 10 kg over ideal weight. In the end I shed a tremendous amount of muscle and pretty much all visible fat, somewhat less than 20 kg loss in total.

Drakken

With sufficient water but no food, the body will start to burn the fat, but also the muscle mass and the organs pretty quickly for energy, and the person will be emaciated within weeks. Humans don't have the ability to slow their metabolism to a crawl like some hibernating animals can do.

The body doesn't pick its energy and protein exclusively from the fat, but from the muscles as well. That is why "cutting" involves slightly decreasing calories into a deficit (to force the body to break down cells to keep up in energy) coupled with resistance training (to secrete growth hormones for the muscles to slow the loss of muscle mass). Otherwise, the person would lose fat AND muscle mass.

People won't die from starvation while having body fat, the body won't allow it. What kills people off quickly is either dehydration or organ failure (when reaching a emaciated state).

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2011, 08:25:53 AM
What the fuck do I care about 'healthy weight'?  I'm married, comfortable, I can engage in sports and other active passtimes without discomfort, and I'm not a model or an actor.  Why in the hell would I care about my belly?  That just means that my wife loves me enough to feed me well.

I think that the key thing to take away from this thread is that Martinus is stupid and unworthy of life.

I <3 you, Neil. :hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Josquius

Eating away at muscle...hmm....that`s an OK sacrifice, they can be trained up again.
But eating away at organs? eww.... :x
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on August 25, 2011, 11:30:10 AM

Based on what happened to my son before he was diagnosed with diabetes, I think burning fat cells raises the acidity of the blood. It's called ketoacidosis. I don't know for certain, though, if it is a danger for simple fasting in a non-diabetic.

Wait.

What?

Your son?

Max - would you care to share a story with the class?

Or do you mean one of Meri's kids (and not to denigrate you or him if you call him 'your son' - thats great if you do).

:)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 08:47:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 08:13:49 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 25, 2011, 08:12:54 AM
@raz: from the pic i've seen, he does not look fat at all :mellow:

Raz has to compulsively insult Marty in every thread he posts in.

It's for his own good.  I'm helping him.

It's alright. I stopped insulting you as much as I did in the past as I don't want to be blamed when you finally kill yourself.  :hug:

C.C.R.

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2011, 08:25:53 AM
What the fuck do I care about 'healthy weight'?  I'm married, comfortable, I can engage in sports and other active passtimes without discomfort, and I'm not a model or an actor.  Why in the hell would I care about my belly?  That just means that my wife loves me enough to feed me well.

I think that the key thing to take away from this thread is that Martinus is stupid and unworthy of life.

Yeah, I can get behind that.

I'm 5' 10" tall & just weighed myself at 174 lbs -- which is honestly the least I've weighed in 20 years.  Some people might say that this is A Good Thing, but given that this is a direct result of getting laid off of my cushy office job a couple of years ago & having to bust my ass at suck-ass factory jobs to put a roof over my kids' heads, clothes on their backs & food on the table until I find something better, I don't take any kind of pride in the weight loss at all.  If I find another Big Kid Job next week I can about guarantee that I'll put 20 lbs back on in three months & not give a flying fuck.

Is Obesity a health issue?  Undoubtedly.  But if Obesity ranks in the Top 5 of your worries then you're a fucktard -- either for letting it get bad enough for you to *HAVE* to worry about it or because there's something else wrong with you that causes you to obsess over it.  Or something...

:ccr

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on August 25, 2011, 09:02:41 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 08:47:03 AMI'm helping him.

let's pretend you're not trolling again, as it's pretty obvious you hate the dude (and slargos), and this is at least the second time you've recently claimed this while earlier you were adamant about how you only ever attack martinus when he says something dumb. how is it helping him?

I don't actually hate him.  Marty suffers from narcissistic personality disorder.  We had a thread on this a while back.  I feel very sorry for him, so I am doing my best to help him.  By berating Marty at every opportunity I hope to rid him of his illusionary feeling of superiority and self-importance.  Also insulting Marty is really, really easy and I'm lazy.  I've never been one to shy away from reaching for the low hanging fruit.  And Marty is nothing if not a low hanging fruit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: C.C.R. on August 26, 2011, 09:26:05 AM
Is Obesity a health issue?  Undoubtedly.  But if Obesity ranks in the Top 5 of your worries then you're a fucktard -- either for letting it get bad enough for you to *HAVE* to worry about it or because there's something else wrong with you that causes you to obsess over it.  Or something...

:ccr

Well said
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".