How the wannabe super-morbidly-obese justify their lifestyle

Started by Brazen, August 24, 2011, 03:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on August 24, 2011, 10:07:52 AM
You could well be right.

No doubt.

The whole 'I love people having to help me up' and 'fat people cost less because we die sooner!' are just too absurd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: merithyn on August 24, 2011, 10:03:53 AM
The assumption that all obese people like being catered to, are horribly ill due to their weight, and are overall just selfish people is ridiculous. Just as not all thin people are healthy, not all overweight people are unhealthy.

Well put. 100 per cent agree.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on August 24, 2011, 11:01:25 AM
The assumption that all obese people like being catered to, are horribly ill due to their weight, and are overall just selfish people is ridiculous. Just as not all thin people are healthy, not all overweight people are unhealthy.

Even ones who are 500 lbs and are working to get 1000 lbs?  And I have never seen this assumption that skeletony thin people are healthy.  I would rather see the obese than some of those anorexics.  I mean we are talking about extremes in that article.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 10:24:00 AM
Also Meri there is a pretty dramatic difference between being 150 lbs overweight and being 500+ pounds.
I would say 150 lbs overweight is dramatic enough. In my case it would be twice (!) my natural weight.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on August 24, 2011, 11:12:32 AM
I would say 150 lbs overweight is dramatic enough. In my case it would be twice (!) my natural weight.

You can still move around and operate and even be pretty active and healthy weighing that much if you have a big frame.  But humans are just not built for 500+

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 11:05:19 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 24, 2011, 11:01:25 AM

Even ones who are 500 lbs and are working to get 1000 lbs?  And I have never seen this assumption that skeletony thin people are healthy.  I would rather see the obese than some of those anorexics.  I mean we are talking about extremes in that article.

Don't be a hater. Why assume someone is unhealthy just because they weigh 500 pounds, have to ride a scooter, are on oxygen and can't go to the toilet by themselves?

It's a lifestyle choice. She's listening to her rotund body, and likes the sound it makes. If the internet teaches us anything, it is that there are no invalid lifestyle choices.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Lucidor

garbon

QuoteMaybe you don't buy that someone who is healthy because of medicine is actually "healthy," but then we merely have a difference of agreement about word meaning and not the objective reality of the performance of my vital organs.

Very odd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

While I don't disagree with the basics of Meri's post, I will contest one idea.

There is no equivalence between being obese and being not obese from a health standpoint. Yes, there are unhealthy thin people and healthy fat people, true.

But being think is not in and of itself unhealthy. Being obese is in and of itself unhealthy. All things being equal, a person thinner than another person is less healthy, but on the other hand, being obese IS less healthy, all other things being equal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 24, 2011, 12:03:06 PM
All things being equal, a person thinner than another person is less healthy, but on the other hand, being obese IS less healthy, all other things being equal.
Obviously.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2011, 12:08:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 24, 2011, 12:03:06 PM
All things being equal, a person thinner than another person is less healthy, but on the other hand, being obese IS less healthy, all other things being equal.
Obviously.

I am not sure that is as obvious to some people as it should be...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

For people who are sexually into being morbidly obese it's not much of a choice. Sexual gratification seems to me to be a very good reason for doing something if you are a human being.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

I kinda suspect it's the same attitude with a lots of conditions that could be changed. Welfarers will often say they have no choice but to be on welfare, even tough they could easily get a job that might not be their dream job.  Smokers have lots of excuses to continue their filthy, disgusting habit and poisoning our lives.  A drunk/addict always has good reason to keep drinking/using.  Lazy people always have good reasons to avoid work.

Basically, these morbid obese fall into the same pattern as others.  Making some efforts to change your lifestyle is too hard, so you find comfort in your situation.  It's the easier path, and it's, well, easier...

I've become fat over the years, but it's not my fault.  It's my body's fault for not digesting alcohol, chips, fries and burgers correctly.  Silly body.  :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2011, 02:51:18 PM
Lazy people always have good reasons to avoid work.

Not really, unless you consider "don't wanna" as a good reason(usually sufficient for me however).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?