Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2013, 10:17:58 PM
So? I think it could be decently argued that as I work at a company with offices in Montreal, NYC, London, Shanghai, Johannesburg and Kuala Lumpur that employees shouldn't be forced to listen to a language other than English when they want to call their colleagues - given that is the one language that all of us have in common.
Do you think a Quebec based company like Bombardier or Couche-Tard could succesfully impose french as a working language in their canadian and american offices?

Note I also think that would be a ridiculous position to take. ;)
You expect someone to speak to you in english, though.  And I have no problem with that.  I'm not a zealot, I don't care if the english message is first or second.  However, calling in Montreal, I expect to have a french message or french speaking receptionist.
If I sit in a restaurant in Montreal downtown, I expect to have a french or bilingual menu, not argue with the waitress to get one.  And I would expect the basic courtesy of the hostess speaking french to me first, unless I'm with a bunch of anglos.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2013, 10:27:56 PM
So your take is that one should get offended over small things because we have bigots in this country that get offended over small things?
<sigh>. No.

[quote author]
But why would they? What's the utility value of speaking French, in Canada, outside of Quebec* if you aren't dealing regularly with French speakers?[/quote]
Is Canada a bilingual country or not?  The answer is yes.  From there, it should only be logical that we learn both official languages everywhere, and that also means much better english education in Quebec.
We know that learning more than one language makes you smarter[/ul].
So why not learn the other official language of the country you're supposedly so attached to?  Especially if you live in Quebec?

Sidebar but what do you think about the idea that we should make people learn Spanish around the US? I took a quick look at wiki and if I take the proportion of people who speak Spanish in the US (including those who learned it as a foreign language or it is their 2nd language) out of total pop - roughly 16% of people speak Spanish (looks like ~12% as primary language). In Canada, roughly 23% of people report French as their main language.  Now US % is clearly smaller but is it an affront if people don't learn English who live in Southwestern states? How about the US as a whole?

I think the States should teach spanish and french, and so should we.  Of course, for States like Texas, Spanish is way, way more useful than French.  But it could be up to the States themselves, so long as they teach at least 2 languages.  Besides, it's not like the spanyards were your former colonial masters and regard you as inferior.  ;)

*added in caveat of outside of Quebec as apparently there is utility value in not having predominantly French speakers pissed at you if you don't learn French and you live in Quebec. :P

Well, somedays, I feel it's easier to find French speakers in Vermont&Maine than in downtown Montreal  :glare:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

You think that the United States should teach French to everybody?  Why?  I mean, I can understand why you might think that'd be a good idea in Canada, but the US?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2013, 10:41:29 AM
So? I think it could be decently argued that as I work at a company with offices in Montreal, NYC, London, Shanghai, Johannesburg and Kuala Lumpur that employees shouldn't be forced to listen to a language other than English when they want to call their colleagues - given that is the one language that all of us have in common.
Do you think a Quebec based company like Bombardier or Couche-Tard could succesfully impose french as a working language in their canadian and american offices?

Note I also think that would be a ridiculous position to take. ;)
You expect someone to speak to you in english, though.  And I have no problem with that.  I'm not a zealot, I don't care if the english message is first or second.  However, calling in Montreal, I expect to have a french message or french speaking receptionist.
If I sit in a restaurant in Montreal downtown, I expect to have a french or bilingual menu, not argue with the waitress to get one.  And I would expect the basic courtesy of the hostess speaking french to me first, unless I'm with a bunch of anglos.

I don't understand why the first words are such a problem. How outrage will you be in the 20 years when it's going to be a word neither in french or english that greet you?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Being upset over the language someone else speaks is ridiculous period.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2013, 11:04:40 AM
Why?
Because they need civilization too.  Just because they are filthy good to nothing barbarians, doesn't mean they can't bask in the benevolent light of evolved bilingual civilizations.

No, seriously, learning other languages is good for the mind, so either French or Spanish.  Spanish isn't much use in norther states, French isn't much use in southern states, so, the states should simply decide what feels good to them.  I think America would benefit a lot from having a multilingual atheist population of they replace church school with language school ;)

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on August 15, 2013, 11:14:13 AM
tell that to your fellow canadians :)   They are upset when the Prime minister speaks french and they are apparently upset when a business card has french writings on it.

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2013, 12:33:25 PM
tell that to your fellow canadians :)   They are upset when the Prime minister speaks french and they are apparently upset when a business card has french writings on it.
I doubt it. I haven't seen any evidence of Canadians outside of Quebec caring about the language issue in large numbers.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2013, 12:33:25 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 15, 2013, 11:14:13 AM

You have been drinking deeply of the separatist cool aid I see.

You are the one that is upset about what is or not on a card.  Your province is the one that regulates what people can and cannot say even in the private sphere of business.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2013, 12:32:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2013, 11:04:40 AM
Why?
Because they need civilization too.  Just because they are filthy good to nothing barbarians, doesn't mean they can't bask in the benevolent light of evolved bilingual civilizations.

No, seriously, learning other languages is good for the mind, so either French or Spanish.  Spanish isn't much use in norther states, French isn't much use in southern states, so, the states should simply decide what feels good to them.  I think America would benefit a lot from having a multilingual atheist population of they replace church school with language school ;)
Lots of things are good for the mind, but I don't think the government should mandate the use of Sudoku.  The purpose of language is to communicate, and having more than one language is terrible.  That's been the whole point of the pressure to wipe out all the other languages over the last few generations.  And why do you think that French would be of any use in any state?  I would think that Spanish would have more utility anywhere in the US.  The teaching of French in American schools is the product of the remains of the 1800s, when people were still alive who remember the days when French was the common tongue of diplomacy and literature.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2013, 10:41:29 AM

They could probably try but they'd run into hiring issues as most of the applicant pool won't be fluent in French.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Viper, your perception of what upsets anglophone Canadians, what they care about, and how they feel about Quebec is significantly different from mine.

Yes, there are anti-Quebec trolls, but you seem to pay them way more attention and ascribe way more significance to them than most anglophones do.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
Viper, your perception of what upsets anglophone Canadians, what they care about, and how they feel about Quebec is significantly different from mine.

Yes, there are anti-Quebec trolls, but you seem to pay them way more attention and ascribe way more significance to them than most anglophones do.

Personally, I base my opinions on what everyone outside Ontario thinks on any subject based on what the assholes in Youtube comments have to say.   :)

It's a scary world out there ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 15, 2013, 02:18:19 PM
Personally, I base my opinions on what everyone outside Ontario thinks on any subject based on what the assholes in Youtube comments have to say.   :)

It's a scary world out there ...  :hmm:

Shuddup Jew I m goin to r4pe you
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
I don't pay much attention to anti-english trolls either, they seem to be a minority in Quebec.  Yet, they do get significant attention in Canada's medias.