Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 05:13:24 PM
I believe that parents who are citizens have the "right" to determine, in broad outlines, the course of the education of their children, and that if a sizable number of parents believe that a certain course in in their kids best interests, and they can demonstrate that this is objectively true, they should be allowed to so direct public authorities to provide - such as providing them with education in the language that they want.

If it is objectively true then they should try to get the political support to get them the service they want.  Otherwise I find this principal as removing the power of the purse from democratic institutions and thus immoral.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: dps on August 31, 2011, 09:03:35 PM
But it would appear that the language laws cause people to have less respect for you. 
Do you have less respect for the blacks since the 1960s and the civil rights movement?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2011, 09:32:29 PM
Actually, the US did forbid German education for a brief period.

During World War I.  Not one of our noblest moments.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 11:01:53 PM
But it would appear that the language laws cause people to have less respect for you. 
Do you have less respect for the blacks since the 1960s and the civil rights movement?

Please do not make that comparison.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 09:22:35 PM
The ones that are the most ridiculous are the ones least necessary IMO.  The whole regulation of French on signs and stuff.
When a tourist visits Montreal today, he feels like it's a french city, not some New England/Ontarian town like all the others.
And it brings a competitive advantage others don't have, the "exotic" look one could not get elsewhere.  Otherwise, tourist and business would go to Toronto, or stay in New York & Boston.  But hey, the learn it pays to care about French, so, some of them have an office in Montreal, instead of elsewhere.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

:XD:  Oh, Jesus Christ.  If you next compare the Francophones to Jews in the Holocaust your Victimization will be complete.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 11:05:00 PM

Why not?  According to DPS, any kind of laws protecting a minority will cause them to receive less respect.
I'm not saying we were once slaves.  Nor did we have to sit at the back of the bus.  People were told to "speak white", tough, and clearly, the old English aristocracy (the ones who moved out of here in the late 70s, unable to adapt) had no respect for french speaking Quebecers and considered them inferior.

viper37

There is no victimization here Brad.
There is an explanation as to why there are language laws, as to why bringing back the "Royal" name to the army is offensive and stupid.
You may not like it, but I have spoken the truth, I have not lied, I have not exagerated any facts.
There has been discrimination against the French in the past, wich resulted in dwindling numbers.
And now, we have to protect our language & our culture.

At least, we don't talk about having walls and shooting people trying to cross the border.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 11:26:39 PM
There is an explanation as to why there are language laws, as to why bringing back the "Royal" name to the army is offensive and stupid.

Then why haven't you mentioned any (about the latter that is).

Also...

Has anyone told the Royal 22e Regiment "Van Doos" how offensive them being called "Royal" is? :huh:

http://www.vandoos.com/

Edit:

Also I can't resist - the name of the Army is unchanged - it is only the Navy and Air Force going back to their proper names.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 11:26:39 PM
There is no victimization here Brad.
You may not like it, but I have spoken the truth, I have not lied, I have not exagerated any facts.
There has been discrimination against the French in the past, wich resulted in dwindling numbers.
And now, we have to protect our language & our culture.

At least, we don't talk about having walls and shooting people trying to cross the border.

Of course you playing the Victim card.  You list grievances that happened beyond living memory.  What I take exception too, is the sense of superiority Quebecers have about this.  You live in a State where your language is French and the majority language is English.  Your ancestors suffered for it at the hands of the Anglos.  Now (well sometime in the past), the Anglophones have agreed not to interfere with language in Quebec.  They make an effort to provide bilingual services through out Canada.  Does Quebec make an effort to reciprocate?  No.  Quebec has only one official language.  Does Quebec offer First Nations Languages the same protection as the Anglos offer French?  No.  Those languages such as Cree are dwindling much quicker then French is.  What Quebec does do is pass petty and absurd laws mandating French use, and to make sure everyone knows that French is superior  by making all signs have French more predominant.  This time the Anglos don't reciprocate.  No, they tolerate it in the spirit of equality and diversity, something you don't seem to share.  And if the Anglos fail to live up to your standards you bitch and moan.  A man can't get 7-up in French on an air plane, the names of some military units are changed back, a painting is taken down.  Quebec raves and cries out.  You have people talking about how the Tories have abandoned them!  Over petty bullshit.

Do you perhaps see how dps finds it difficult to respect people who engage in such antics?  I certainly can.

You used the Black Americans as a comparison.  It's not a good comparison, but I'll run with it.  African Americans in this country who play the race card to often tend to engender resentment.  Al Sharpton, is a perfect example.  And African Americans who turn around and treat Hispanics or East Asians in the same way their fathers and grandfathers were treated by whites aren't that well liked either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2011, 12:07:42 AM

Edit:

Also I can't resist - the name of the Army is unchanged - it is only the Navy and Air Force going back to their proper names.

That's because the Army executed a King and thus will never be Royal.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 11:20:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 11:05:00 PM

Why not?  According to DPS, any kind of laws protecting a minority will cause them to receive less respect.

In Quebec, French speakers not a minority, they're the majoriy, and the laws we're talking about aren't doing anything to protect a minority.  What those laws do, mostly, is rub the minority group's nose in the fact that they are a minority.  I wouldn't call those laws oppressive, really, but the majority in Quebec is being petty, vindictive, and hypocritical, so don't expect to get much respect from many quarters.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 01, 2011, 04:58:33 AM

Edit:

No, there's a long complicated history to it that has something to do with the fact that in the Army it is the various individual units that were raised (rather than one massed army), and thus the individual units have their separate royal connections (like the Royal 22e Regiment).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2011, 07:31:19 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 01, 2011, 04:58:33 AM

Edit:

No, there's a long complicated history to it that has something to do with the fact that in the Army it is the various individual units that were raised (rather than one massed army), and thus the individual units have their separate royal connections (like the Royal 22e Regiment).

Yes, it is a long and complicated history. But, to simplify it as much as possible; Regiments were denoted Royal (or something else) individually at the time of Restoration so that Roundhead and Parliamentary regiments would not have to follow Royal standards. Also as a part of Restoration pique was Charles II's naming of the english navy as the Royal Navy. The Army executed the King, the Navy brought him back. So, yes, this is all about Roundheads and Cavaliers.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 11:20:02 PM
Why not?

Because it makes you sound like a victim and a whiner.  Not really helping your cause.  Further while there are some similarities it does not fit very well.

As I said the comparison that fits best are the Euro ethnic groups that almost had their languages destroyed in the 19th century.