Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: dps on August 31, 2011, 05:37:13 PM

Again, I didn't say that they couldn't complain.

So, the point of your stance is that they CAN complain, but if they do, you question why they had the temerity to immigrate there in the first place?  :hmm:

QuoteAnd as for treating all citizens alike, well if all instruction in the public schools is in one particular language, then they are all being treated alike.  It seems to me that you are in effect arguing for special treatment for immigrants, not equality.

I treat all alike: all beggars and all millionares caught sleeping under bridges or in parks are whipped.

[Surface "equality" can be anything but, where individual circumstances differ]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2011, 05:45:25 PM
Malthus, you are interpreting the UN declaration giving parent a "prior right" to choose "the kind" of education given to their children as the ability to force governments to provide a certain type of education and particularly a requirement that the government fund education in language choosen by the parent.  With respect your interpretation is not very compelling.

That is even more broad than your original contention that if there is a) a signficant minority and b) they want to be taught in their own language then that ought to be funding.  By your interpretation of the UN declaration anyone can choose a language of instruction.  And not only the language.  Surely if "kind of education" means choice of language it also means choice of curriculum.  Under your model the state would have to find individual learning programs for each student according to the wishes of each parent.

That interpretation is simply untenable.

A more reasonable interpretation is that parents may choose which school their kids will attend.  Which is exactly what happens In Quebec.

I think you have run out of ground on this one.

Yeah, your interpretation which you made up is sure untenible.  :hmm: As I suggested in my post, this has to be read together with other sources to tease out its meaning - namely, those considering the nature of linguistic rights. I linked to that stuff before, but clearly, there is no point, as you have made up your mind. 

And parents may *not* "choose which school their kids will attend" in Quebec, if they are immigrants. Which is where this argument started in the first place.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 05:46:33 PM
Quote from: dps on August 31, 2011, 05:37:13 PM

Again, I didn't say that they couldn't complain.

So, the point of your stance is that they CAN complain, but if they do, you question why they had the temerity to immigrate there in the first place?  :hmm:

Actually, in the particular case under discussion, what I would question is their judgement.

But in general, yeah, I think that, "Hey, nobody forced you to come here" isn't an unreasonable way to respond.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 05:50:44 PM
And parents may *not* "choose which school their kids will attend" in Quebec, if they are immigrants. Which is where this argument started in the first place.

Sure they can.  They can choose to put them anywhere they wish.   Your problem is that all option are not funded equally.  But if the funding was such a problem why has there been no Constitutional challenge.  Surely some enterprising class action lawyer out there has considered the probability of success of such a thing.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 05:03:40 PM
No, I'm saying that linguisic rights exist and are recognized,

That's seeking safety in vagueness.  Sure there are "linguistic rights" - for example, the right of a private citizens to speak whatever language they wish with other private citizens in a private setting.  Or the right to instruct others in languages.  And of course those rights are recognized. 

The question you have raised is whether those rights extend to the right to have publicly funded schools instructing in a given language, and I have not seen any convincing argument that such a right exists outside of positive law.

QuoteHowever, the basis of Canada's union is of peoples as well as provinces. That's why the "right" to French is extended throughout the country and not just in Quebec. So, your analysis is flawed from the start.

The 1867 act is clearly phrased as a union of provinces and that Act delegates educational powers to the provinces.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 31, 2011, 03:24:30 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 11:07:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 10:54:34 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 10:48:21 AM
You would have to ask those who forbid French education in the US and Canada.

Hey you can get a French education in the US if you want to pay for it.
After the civil war in Louisiana, French education was forbidden.  Many states of New England also forbid French education after the influx of French Canadian immigrants.
The situation has been reversed since then, and there are of course private schools, but I think some public schools offer French immersion too.
Once again, over a hundred years ago.  Can you at least snivel like a bitch about more contemporary issues?
the discussion was about French being forbidden in the past, hence the low number of french speakers in North America.
And I was not bitching, I was stating a fact.
I know you hate the historical truth, so I'll leave you to your usual ramblings of everyone being inferior to you, until such time as you are willing to discuss seriously without trolling.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 31, 2011, 03:45:26 PM
I agree that there are aspects of Quebec's language policy that seem counterproductive and self-defeating from the POV of seeking to create a modern, economically vibrant society, but that is just my opinion as an outsider.
when it comes to having counterproductive and self defeating policies to create a moderne, economically vibrant society, there are things much, much worst than that.

The language laws are merely there to enforce respect by a majority of outsiders who feel they shouldn't respect us.  There's an historic reason, and reading Malthus and Neil posts just reinforce my views that they are still a necessary evil, as their creator saw them.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 07:36:27 PM
I know you hate the historical truth, so I'll leave you to your usual ramblings of everyone being inferior to you.
I don't hate the historical truth.  My team won, after all.  You're the one whose side is trying to refight 1763.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 31, 2011, 07:41:38 PM
I don't hate the historical truth.  My team won, after all.  You're the one whose side is trying to refight 1763.
Read Minsky's post, they will enlighten you.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 07:36:27 PM

the discussion was about French being forbidden in the past, hence the low number of french speakers in North America.
And I was not bitching, I was stating a fact.
I know you hate the historical truth, so I'll leave you to your usual ramblings of everyone being inferior to you, until such time as you are willing to discuss seriously without trolling.

There wouldn't be very many French Speakers in North America even if French were not periodically forbidden.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 07:46:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 31, 2011, 07:41:38 PM
Read Minsky's post, they will enlighten you.
Minsky is a lawyer, and an American one at that.  He's not to be trusted.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 07:40:39 PM

The language laws are merely there to enforce respect by a majority of outsiders who feel they shouldn't respect us. 

But it would appear that the language laws cause people to have less respect for you. 

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2011, 07:52:54 PM
There wouldn't be very many French Speakers in North America even if French were not periodically forbidden.

Yep, outside of a few enclaves in Louisiana and New England (which still limp on I understand).  We never forbad German or Yiddish and they are rarely spoken outside of a few enclaves either.  That is the way of the USA.  Do not move here if you plan on speaking something other than English a few generations out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 31, 2011, 09:03:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 07:40:39 PM

The language laws are merely there to enforce respect by a majority of outsiders who feel they shouldn't respect us. 

But it would appear that the language laws cause people to have less respect for you. 

The ones that are the most ridiculous are the ones least necessary IMO.  The whole regulation of French on signs and stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 09:21:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2011, 07:52:54 PM

Yep, outside of a few enclaves in Louisiana and New England (which still limp on I understand).  We never forbad German or Yiddish and they are rarely spoken outside of a few enclaves either.  That is the way of the USA.  Do not move here if you plan on speaking something other than English a few generations out.

Actually, the US did forbid German education for a brief period.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017