Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 11:42:12 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2011, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2011, 11:15:30 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 10:02:16 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2011, 09:57:03 AM
Psst - don't tell Grallon, Viper & co. about the Royal Canadian Mint.    ;)

So long as they do not commit the ultimate insult and start putting the Queen's face on the currency I am ok with it.

I'm quite willing to be insulted - repeatedly - by recieving $20 bills from the good folks of Quebec.  :)

I remember a conversation with a Canadian Professor of Education at a cocktail party where I tried to convince her that Canada was a Monarchy, she seemed to think it was a Republic since Canada got it's Constitution. It wasn't until I asked her what face was on her money and walked her through the Canadian constitutional system that she relented and admitted that Canada was a Monarchy, just like Norway.

Well not exactly like Norway, since we have the Governor General as intermediary...

Norway had a Governor General from 1814 to 1905 :contract:

there are lots of irrelevant differences between the Norwegian and Canadian Monarchies.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

I remember a conversation with a Canadian Professor of Education at a cocktail party where I tried to convince her that Canada was a Monarchy, she seemed to think it was a Republic since Canada got it's Constitution. It wasn't until I asked her what face was on her money and walked her through the Canadian constitutional system that she relented and admitted that Canada was a Monarchy, just like Norway.

Since it was a cocktail party I am pretty sure you had a few too many and misremember how this went.  The only Canadian who thinks he is living in a Republic is Grallon.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on August 18, 2011, 07:59:07 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 11:27:41 PM

Title: A colonized country.
I don't think the word "colonized" has the same meaning in English though.
Still en excellent text.  From a Federalist journalist in a federalist newspaper, before the usual accusations occur.

I read this this morning.  And yes, Anglo Canadians being what they are - the popularity of this move doesn't surprise me.  In fact I'm pleased since the more Canadians move in another direction then Quebecers, the easier it will be to bring the latter around and leave this federation.  ^_^

G.

Then Haiti will have some competition for "Most corrupt state" in the Western Hemisphere.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2011, 11:56:28 AM

Since it was a cocktail party I am pretty sure you had a few too many and misremember how this went.  The only Canadian who thinks he is living in a Republic is Grallon.

I've met a lot more ignorant Canadians than you have. :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

The only Canadian who thinks he is living in a Republic is Grallon.

:rolleyes:

You know perfectly well what I meant, but being a lawyer you naturally fall back to the common masturbatory tactic of semantics.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 11:09:19 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2011, 11:08:03 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 11:47:47 PM
The War of 1812 is apparently, for English Canada, the foundation of their national feelings, the first time they realized they were not Americans.

For all the times I was told I didnt understand Quebec (probably correctly) pot meet kettle.
Until then we felt left out for not being invited the revolutionary fun a few decades before :(

You were invited - you were just boorish and said no. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on August 18, 2011, 12:39:42 PM
The only Canadian who thinks he is living in a Republic is Grallon.

:rolleyes:

You know perfectly well what I meant, but being a lawyer you naturally fall back to the common masturbatory tactic of semantics.

G.

Come on it was a good joke.

viper37

Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2011, 11:44:04 AM
Norway had a Governor General from 1814 to 1905 :contract:

You weren't an independant country then.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Until then we felt left out for not being invited the revolutionary fun a few decades before :(
You probably felt no different than you felt when being Virginian colonists, South Carolian colonists or Massachussets colonists.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

For all the times I was told I didnt understand Quebec (probably correctly) pot meet kettle.
The expression is "Les deux Solitudes", meaning that both are unable to understand each another.  Like a married couple having seperate bedrooms.  They are together, but not together ;)

I still don't get that fascination about the British monarchy.  Sure, in 1812, Canadians felt British, and they were the most British of all the Americans, I get that.  In WW1 and WW2, I was told it was because there had been an influx of newly arrived British immigrants seeking a newer life, and some of them even felt more British than Canadian, wich prompted them to enlist under the British flag.  I can get that too.

But today, 2011?  Replacing paintings from a well known Canadian artist by portraits of the Queen?  Wtf!??  What kind of weird fetish is this?

Receiving the Prince and his new wife, I could get it too, Quebec city's mayor had asked of the Feds to invite them, to boost tourism, and it apparently works.  Now, if you ask me to understand all those people who want to see William and Kate from 100m away, that I don't get.  I don't get that weird thing either about "seeing" Hollywood stars from a distance or touring accross the parts of L.A. where they have their houses, but, silly me, I must be a really boring individual for not partaking into such idiocies.  I wouldn't mind having a drink with Jessica Biel, but seeing her from 300ft away while behind some fence, I just don't get it.  But it seems it's a popular activity with the monarchy.  Oh well.

And now... Instead of building on the future of our troops and adressing more pressing problems, we go back in time, we turn the wheel.  Still don't get why so many English Canadians play the Cheerleaders on this, like the Globe&Mail editorial.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2011, 01:41:32 PM

I still don't get that fascination about the British monarchy. 
That's teh thing. She's not the british queen. She's our queen.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

The expression is "Les deux Solitudes", meaning that both are unable to understand each another.  Like a married couple having seperate bedrooms.  They are together, but not together ;)

I still don't get that fascination about the British monarchy.  Sure, in 1812, Canadians felt British, and they were the most British of all the Americans, I get that.  In WW1 and WW2, I was told it was because there had been an influx of newly arrived British immigrants seeking a newer life, and some of them even felt more British than Canadian, wich prompted them to enlist under the British flag.  I can get that too.

But today, 2011?  Replacing paintings from a well known Canadian artist by portraits of the Queen?  Wtf!??  What kind of weird fetish is this?

Receiving the Prince and his new wife, I could get it too, Quebec city's mayor had asked of the Feds to invite them, to boost tourism, and it apparently works.  Now, if you ask me to understand all those people who want to see William and Kate from 100m away, that I don't get.  I don't get that weird thing either about "seeing" Hollywood stars from a distance or touring accross the parts of L.A. where they have their houses, but, silly me, I must be a really boring individual for not partaking into such idiocies.  I wouldn't mind having a drink with Jessica Biel, but seeing her from 300ft away while behind some fence, I just don't get it.  But it seems it's a popular activity with the monarchy.  Oh well.

And now... Instead of building on the future of our troops and adressing more pressing problems, we go back in time, we turn the wheel.  Still don't get why so many English Canadians play the Cheerleaders on this, like the Globe&Mail editorial.

Because it's not a fascination with the British monarchy.  It's a fascination with our monarchy, and with our traditions and heritage.

I wouldn't be particularily interested in, say, establishing a Canadian knighthood, and having the government start handing out Sirs to people.  That's never been our history.  Nor would I want beefeaters patrolling on Parliament Hill, or to start celebrating Guy Fawkes day.  That has nothing to do with Canada.

But the RCAF and RCN?  Now those are Canadian.

In particular, my granfather served as a wireless operator with the RCAF during the war, and he was exceedingly proud of it (though he didn't talk much about it).  I know he'd be damn proud to know they have returned to that name.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yet it sounds like you do.  They are celebrities.  They are glamorous.  There is nothing really to get.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2011, 01:37:58 PM
You probably felt no different than you felt when being Virginian colonists, South Carolian colonists or Massachussets colonists.

Damn HVC how many colonies were you a part of?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."