Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on August 16, 2011, 10:45:24 AM

At least they use a decent tank.

How would anyone know?  It's not it's been used in major combat operations.  I think the extent of it's service in combat zones have been low intensity wars like Afghanistan and some peace keeping.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

I think I argued that a few years ago. Not disputing your point.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 16, 2011, 10:53:25 AM

How would anyone know?  It's not it's been used in major combat operations.  I think the extent of it's service in combat zones have been low intensity wars like Afghanistan and some peace keeping.

Iirc, we'll soon see if it's useful for running down unarmed protesters.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

i support the name change, if only to piss off the french quebecois :)

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on August 16, 2011, 10:26:26 AM
12e Régiment blindé du Canada: Is this the 12th Regiment of the blind?
12th Armoured.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2011, 08:40:57 AM
How did it served us well?  By sending us to die in Europe in 1914 to defend the Motherland?  By sending us to fight in South Africa to keep the Boers in line?  By maintaining a non elected head of state with hereditary titles?

I just don't see how it's a good system, sorry.  I'm not singing God Save the Queen every morning either, mind you.
If you have to go back 100 years to find items that you find objectionable, then it can't be all that bad, can it?  And even then, most people wouldn't find those wars objectionable.

Besides, a non-elected head of state with hereditary titles is inherently superior to an elected head of state with non-hereditary titles, to say nothing an elected head of state with hereditary titles and a non-elected head of state with non-hereditary titles.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2011, 09:51:40 AM
everyone paid for this.  Doesn't matter if they are volunteers, a true country does not send it's people fight someone else's colonial wars.
An honourable country supports their allies when they are right, and Canada has often been an honourable country.  You can't just throw around the word 'colonial' as a synonym for 'bad' and expect me to give you a pass on it.  I'm not some left-wing punk.
QuoteUntil the government who promised not to use conscription decided it was a good idea.  And again, it was to fight a colonial war.
The CANADIAN government.  Not the British one.  And if you consider our involvement in the Great War to be a colonial war, then you've stretched the term past the point where it has any meaning, except of course as a synonym for 'bad' amongst left-wing punks.
Neil says monarchy served us well.  I am disputing that fact.  Afaik, the US did not fight in Britain's colonial wars.  That's what it means being independant.  You may make mistakes, but they are you own mistakes.
That's like leaving home for the first time.  Of course, being at home with mom&dad has benefits.  More so than living alone the first few years.  but over time, who would willingly go back to mommy & daddy?
You're trying to bring up points from a century ago, which is completely unconvincing.  You should use more recent examples.

And you tried to define the Great War as a 'colonial war', but the US was involved there.  Are you sure that the US isn't actually a British colony?  The Crown is a valuable part of our heritage, and not to be diminished lightly or discarded, ever.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 11:24:33 AM

The Israelis do that with just an armored bulldozer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: 11B4V on August 16, 2011, 10:26:26 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2011, 08:48:28 PM
At last.  How anyone can think that this decision is shameful is beyond me.  You live in a constitutional monarchy.  If you don't like it, go live in some hellhole like the US or France.
Whatever you say Princess... :lmfao:

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
The Princess Louise Fusiliers
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)

Looks like the Frogs are pretty well represented.
5e Régiment d'artillerie légère du Canada
Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal
Les Voltigeurs de Québec

12e Régiment blindé du Canada: Is this the 12th Regiment of the blind?

Other than the Princess Pats, I think those are all reserve units that really only exist on paper...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 11:24:33 AM

Should be

Viking

What did the Crown do for Canada to deserve Canadians fighting in the Boer War, WWI and WWII? (Naturally the rightness of killing raciss Boers, autocratic Germans and well Nazis should make those gimmes, but there was a request for info on the Crown's contributions to Canada)

1 - Liberating Canada from France and thus avoiding the horror of being a former French Colony rather than pleasure of being a former British Colony
2 - Defending Canada from US invasion and thus avoid the horror of being associated with the Texans rather than the pleasure of being able to be Canadian when the US is pissing off the world
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Richard Hakluyt

The UK and the Dominions were effectively in an alliance, all for one and one for all. So yes, it usually involved the Dominions helping Britain out. But, on the other hand, if any country had fancied attacking one of the Dominions then they would have had to fight the UK and the other Dominions as well.