Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palisadoes

It's good to finally reverse such ideologically-motivated decisions. The names also sound a lot better.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 04:28:47 AM
2 - Defending Canada from US invasion and thus avoid the horror of being associated with the Texans rather than the pleasure of being able to be Canadian when the US is pissing off the world

I am glad somebody else loves Rick Perry as much as I do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Viking has weird ideas about how large, rich countries should care what the world thinks about their political leaders.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on August 16, 2011, 09:55:45 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2011, 09:36:46 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2011, 08:40:57 AM
How did it served us well?  By sending us to die in Europe in 1914 to defend the Motherland?  By sending us to fight in South Africa to keep the Boers in line?

Sending you to fight in the Boer War?  Huh?  The Canadians were volunteers and the UK paid all their expenses.  The Canadians asked to go fight.

As for WWI again it was volunteers until Canada voted to conscript itself.

In short: you know damn well that was not the Brits or the figure head monarchy's fault.  Don't be that guy.

How many Canadians died in 1914 on the European battlefields?
67,000 dead and 149 000 wounded.
Canada was not independant, but it was a country with its own army, nonetheless.  Except for Newfoundland.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 08:44:35 AM
67,000 dead and 149 000 wounded.
Canada was not independant, but it was a country with its own army, nonetheless.  Except for Newfoundland.

*whoosh*
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2011, 10:12:28 AM
Oh so now Canada sent them?  I thought the big bad Brits sent them?
Canada had no choice, being a colony.  Either we sent them volunteers, or they would be recruited by force.  That was a compromise by Laurier to appease the British.

QuoteMy impression was the Canadians did so as more Britain's allies than as their colonial vassals.  I think in WWII the Canadians declared war BEFORE the British did (ok actually not true...not sure where I got that impression from).  Besides what does the Monarchy have to do with that?  The US and the French used our overseas territories in wars, and we did not even let them vote for it, and neither of us have a monarch.
The Republic eventually let go of their colonies (after bloody wars, yes).  I don't see Tunisia or Algeria naming their army "Régiment de France-Afrique".  They're no longer colonies.
Canada is no longer a colony, and this is a step backward.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2011, 06:12:17 PM
An honourable country supports their allies when they are right, and Canada has often been an honourable country.  You can't just throw around the word 'colonial' as a synonym for 'bad' and expect me to give you a pass on it.  I'm not some left-wing punk.
if you were in trouble, your friends would probably help you, even if you put yourself in trouble.
If you were a boss in the Italian mafia, your friends would probably help you too. 

But there's a difference between the two, one of them has really no choice in the matter.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 08:54:52 AM
The Republic eventually let go of their colonies (after bloody wars, yes).  I don't see Tunisia or Algeria naming their army "Régiment de France-Afrique".  They're no longer colonies.

Canada is no longer a colony, but she is, however, still a Monarchy.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/CanadaGovernment    Federal parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy[4]
-     Monarch    Elizabeth II
-     Governor General    David Johnston
-     Prime Minister    Stephen Harper
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 08:54:52 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2011, 10:12:28 AM
Oh so now Canada sent them?  I thought the big bad Brits sent them?
Canada had no choice, being a colony.  Either we sent them volunteers, or they would be recruited by force.  That was a compromise by Laurier to appease the British.

Anglo-Canadians were in favor of helping the British and Laurier's decision was to appease THEM.

QuoteMy impression was the Canadians did so as more Britain's allies than as their colonial vassals.  I think in WWII the Canadians declared war BEFORE the British did (ok actually not true...not sure where I got that impression from).  Besides what does the Monarchy have to do with that?  The US and the French used our overseas territories in wars, and we did not even let them vote for it, and neither of us have a monarch.

Oh for fucksake.  I don't see Canada naming their army 'The Yorkshire Fusiliers' either.  Anyway Algeria in particular has names for their units that reflect their former relationship with France unless you think 'Gendarmerie nationale' is  an Arabic term.

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 17, 2011, 04:41:34 AM
The UK and the Dominions were effectively in an alliance, all for one and one for all. So yes, it usually involved the Dominions helping Britain out. But, on the other hand, if any country had fancied attacking one of the Dominions then they would have had to fight the UK and the other Dominions as well.

I think this important to note.  If the British weren't ready to defend Canada, the US probably would have picked it up sometime in the 19th century.  I mean, the US invaded it in two separate wars.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

You know what's weird?  Turns out "arsenal" is an Arabic term.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on August 17, 2011, 09:16:27 AM

No wonder they pimp Emirates Airlines.

Ideologue

I'd thought it had something to do with how fire is apparently somewhat related to arson, so weapons which deliberately cause fires = "arsonal." -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2011, 09:20:33 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 17, 2011, 09:16:27 AM

No wonder they pimp Emirates Airlines.

No wonder the Yid army hates their guts... apart from both being in north london then... ;)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Richard Hakluyt

The original arsenal being the one in Venice of course.