Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2011, 08:27:20 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2011, 08:48:28 PM
At last.  How anyone can think that this decision is shameful is beyond me.  You live in a constitutional monarchy.  If you don't like it, go live in some hellhole like the US or France.
we should seek to distance ourselves from the monarchy and abandon this archaic system, and stop living as a colony.  We're independant, or we're not.  This sends the signal we're not.
Having a monarch doesn't make a place a colony, and Canada is clearly independent, no matter what we call the armed forces.  Have been since the 30s.

And why would we want to distance ourselves from the monarchy?  It's an excellent system that has served us well.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 15, 2011, 11:30:38 PM
In a few years time if things get really bad I'd advocate we invade Alberta. Realistically what could Canada do about it? And we can just take the $300bn in gold or whatever we have in reserves and distribute it to Albertans once we've invaded in exchange for them shutting up and being loyal Americans.

Then we can rape all of its oil away and any by products or waste from the extraction we can pump directly into BC or Saskatchewan.

300 Billion is a bit excessive to buy off 800 people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2011, 08:31:57 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 15, 2011, 09:53:09 PM
I like it. Best Decisions made by any Tories ever in the entire history of all the Tories parties in the world.

:yeah:
from a seperatist point of view, it is of course the best decision ever.  <sigh>.
Well, not so much.  The only people who are going to be convinced to the cause of separatism by using 'royal' are the people who are already hardcore separatists.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 15, 2011, 11:30:38 PM
In a few years time if things get really bad I'd advocate we invade Alberta. Realistically what could Canada do about it? And we can just take the $300bn in gold or whatever we have in reserves and distribute it to Albertans once we've invaded in exchange for them shutting up and being loyal Americans.

Then we can rape all of its oil away and any by products or waste from the extraction we can pump directly into BC or Saskatchewan.
reallistically, with the state your finances are in, you won't even have an army in a few years.  Most soldiers will desert like those of the Red Army after the collapse of the USSR.  Your airplanes and your warships will be sold at discount to China and various arms dealers across the world.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2011, 08:35:26 AM
I like it. Best Decisions made by any Tories ever in the entire history of all the Tories parties in the world.

from a seperatist point of view, it is of course the best decision ever.  <sigh>.
Well, not so much.  The only people who are going to be convinced to the cause of separatism by using 'royal' are the people who are already hardcore separatists.
no, really, no.  This is the best thing that happenned to the PQ in a long time.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2011, 08:33:13 AM
Having a monarch doesn't make a place a colony, and Canada is clearly independent, no matter what we call the armed forces.  Have been since the 30s.
having a ruler not of your country makes one a colony.  re-affirming at every turn that you can't live without your foreign ruler is a symbol of colonialism.

And why would we want to distance ourselves from the monarchy?  It's an excellent system that has served us well.
How did it served us well?  By sending us to die in Europe in 1914 to defend the Motherland?  By sending us to fight in South Africa to keep the Boers in line?  By maintaining a non elected head of state with hereditary titles?

I just don't see how it's a good system, sorry.  I'm not singing God Save the Queen every morning either, mind you.

viper37

Quote from: dps on August 15, 2011, 09:18:54 PM
Like Canada has a real navy anymore.

surface ships are ok.  it's the British submarines that are not.  See, that's what you get for being a colony, they send you their scrap and call it a gift.

Grey Fox

but I'm not a separatist. I just think that the Canadian Royal Air Force sounds better then the Alternative.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Forget about the name. The article makes it sound as if they're re-separating the services. If this is the case, what's the rationale behind it?

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2011, 08:33:13 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2011, 08:27:20 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2011, 08:48:28 PM
At last.  How anyone can think that this decision is shameful is beyond me.  You live in a constitutional monarchy.  If you don't like it, go live in some hellhole like the US or France.
we should seek to distance ourselves from the monarchy and abandon this archaic system, and stop living as a colony.  We're independant, or we're not.  This sends the signal we're not.

Well, the 80's at the very least.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2011, 08:40:57 AM
How did it served us well?  By sending us to die in Europe in 1914 to defend the Motherland?  By sending us to fight in South Africa to keep the Boers in line? 

Sending you to fight in the Boer War?  Huh?  The Canadians were volunteers and the UK paid all their expenses.  The Canadians asked to go fight.

As for WWI again it was volunteers until Canada voted to conscript itself.

In short: you know damn well that was not the Brits or the figure head monarchy's fault.  Don't be that guy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2011, 09:36:46 AM
Sending you to fight in the Boer War?  Huh?  The Canadians were volunteers and the UK paid all their expenses.  The Canadians asked to go fight.
everyone paid for this.  Doesn't matter if they are volunteers, a true country does not send it's people fight someone else's colonial wars.

Until the government who promised not to use conscription decided it was a good idea.  And again, it was to fight a colonial war.

In short: you know damn well that was not the Brits or the figure head monarchy's fault.  Don't be that guy.
Neil says monarchy served us well.  I am disputing that fact.  Afaik, the US did not fight in Britain's colonial wars.  That's what it means being independant.  You may make mistakes, but they are you own mistakes.
That's like leaving home for the first time.  Of course, being at home with mom&dad has benefits.  More so than living alone the first few years.  but over time, who would willingly go back to mommy & daddy?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2011, 09:36:46 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2011, 08:40:57 AM
How did it served us well?  By sending us to die in Europe in 1914 to defend the Motherland?  By sending us to fight in South Africa to keep the Boers in line?

How many Canadians died in 1914 on the European battlefields?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 16, 2011, 09:55:45 AM
How many Canadians died in 1914 on the European battlefields?

Zero :P

But you know what he means.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2011, 09:51:40 AM
everyone paid for this.  Doesn't matter if they are volunteers, a true country does not send it's people fight someone else's colonial wars.

Oh so now Canada sent them?  I thought the big bad Brits sent them?

QuoteNeil says monarchy served us well.  I am disputing that fact.  Afaik, the US did not fight in Britain's colonial wars.  That's what it means being independant.  You may make mistakes, but they are you own mistakes.

My impression was the Canadians did so as more Britain's allies than as their colonial vassals.  I think in WWII the Canadians declared war BEFORE the British did (ok actually not true...not sure where I got that impression from).  Besides what does the Monarchy have to do with that?  The US and the French used our overseas territories in wars, and we did not even let them vote for it, and neither of us have a monarch.