News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most Overrated President

Started by Kleves, July 23, 2011, 03:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the most overrated of them all?

Jefferson
2 (3.9%)
TR
1 (2%)
FDR
9 (17.6%)
Truman
3 (5.9%)
JFK
10 (19.6%)
Reagan
20 (39.2%)
Bush I
0 (0%)
Clinton
2 (3.9%)
Other
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 07:36:23 PM
:D

Good one Dump Truck.

We need to break you from this nickname habit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 23, 2011, 06:16:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:15:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 23, 2011, 06:13:03 PM

He wasn't Jimmy Carter.

In many ways he was.  The deregulation trend started under Carter and so did the arming of the Muhajeedeen in Afghanistan.

Hush, you. Let me hate on Jimmy in peace.

Fuck you, sweater vest monkey.  You come after James Earle Carter: Cold Warrior, you come after me.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2011, 07:41:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 07:31:12 PM
He didn't attack a union.  He fired some federal workers who were striking illegally.
I don't believe that that's an answer Raz wants.

You were the one to characterize them as PATCO, which was a labor union.  I simply rolled with what you wrote.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Reminds me of the old Bloom County cartoon, where Santa fired all the elves.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2011, 08:08:52 PM
Reminds me of the old Bloom County cartoon, where Santa fired all the elves.
But Santa was the first to characterize them as elves, and the cartoon simply rolled with what he wrote.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Scipio

JFK.  I'm not sure it's possible to overrate Clinton, that whoremonger.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Jeffereson was pretty awful aside from the Louisiana purchase. Voted for him.

Wilson and JFK would get 2nd and 3rd place.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 23, 2011, 07:49:43 PM

Good one Dump Truck.

I guessed he was referring to me, but I can't be sure and really I have no idea what that meant.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2011, 10:26:45 PM

Good one Dump Truck.

I guessed he was referring to me, but I can't be sure and really I have no idea what that meant.

Dude, you dumped Korea.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PRC

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2011, 06:43:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:12:12 PM
What was so great about the first term?
Inflation went from 13% to under 4%, Reagan hammered the PATCO fucks, income taxes dropped 40% at the top level and 30% at the lowest level, while increasing revenues, the Grenada invasion, and the whole "last pages of communism" stance including his handling of the cruise/Pershing deployment that would lead to the IRNF Treaty.  "Morning in America."

You can certainly blame his administration foir ignoring the problems with the S&L business (which would blow up in his second term) and the Lebanon miscalculation that turned into a disaster, but it was a great first term, by any standards.

Read some history.

What was great about the Grenada invasion?  Honest question, I know nothing about that event other than vaguely, perhaps mistakenly, recalling that OvB took part in it in some limited capacity. 

Tonitrus

It might just be that the best result to come from Grenada was making possible the film Heartbreak Ridge, irregardless of Mario Van Peebles.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2011, 10:31:37 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2011, 10:26:45 PM

Good one Dump Truck.

Dude, you dumped Korea.

While I appreciate your historical revisionism, that's not how I recall it happening. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: PRC on July 24, 2011, 02:11:40 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2011, 06:43:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:12:12 PM
What was so great about the first term?
Inflation went from 13% to under 4%, Reagan hammered the PATCO fucks, income taxes dropped 40% at the top level and 30% at the lowest level, while increasing revenues, the Grenada invasion, and the whole "last pages of communism" stance including his handling of the cruise/Pershing deployment that would lead to the IRNF Treaty.  "Morning in America."

You can certainly blame his administration foir ignoring the problems with the S&L business (which would blow up in his second term) and the Lebanon miscalculation that turned into a disaster, but it was a great first term, by any standards.

Read some history.

What was great about the Grenada invasion?  Honest question, I know nothing about that event other than vaguely, perhaps mistakenly, recalling that OvB took part in it in some limited capacity.

The only things I know about Grenada I learned from that arc in Doonesbury where Duke set up the Baby Doc Medical School.
Kinemalogue

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 07:49:09 PM
That's a questionable claim as well.

Spending is the only thing that can lead to deficits. Logically. It's not questionable. Every Republican president since and including Reagan did it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers