News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most Overrated President

Started by Kleves, July 23, 2011, 03:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the most overrated of them all?

Jefferson
2 (3.9%)
TR
1 (2%)
FDR
9 (17.6%)
Truman
3 (5.9%)
JFK
10 (19.6%)
Reagan
20 (39.2%)
Bush I
0 (0%)
Clinton
2 (3.9%)
Other
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:15:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 23, 2011, 06:13:03 PM

He wasn't Jimmy Carter.

In many ways he was.  The deregulation trend started under Carter and so did the arming of the Muhajeedeen in Afghanistan.

Hush, you. Let me hate on Jimmy in peace.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:12:12 PM
What was so great about the first term?
Inflation went from 13% to under 4%, Reagan hammered the PATCO fucks, income taxes dropped 40% at the top level and 30% at the lowest level, while increasing revenues, the Grenada invasion, and the whole "last pages of communism" stance including his handling of the cruise/Pershing deployment that would lead to the IRNF Treaty.  "Morning in America."

You can certainly blame his administration foir ignoring the problems with the S&L business (which would blow up in his second term) and the Lebanon miscalculation that turned into a disaster, but it was a great first term, by any standards.

Read some history.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Reagan tax cuts didn't increase revenues, they led to huge budget deficits that were only partially corrected in 1986.  In fact, you can trace the deficits of today back to Reagan, his term is when they first started exploding since WW2.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 06:49:43 PM
Reagan tax cuts didn't increase revenues, they led to huge budget deficits that were only partially corrected in 1986.  In fact, you can trace the deficits of today back to Reagan, his term is when they first started exploding since WW2.
Spending is what led to the deficits, but those weren't regularly horrendous until the second term.  I will note that you are correct that income tax income as a percentage of GDP did drop as a result of the tax cuts, contrary to my recollection of the time, and so withdraw that claim.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Bayraktar!

katmai

I'm kicking your ass Kleves for even putting TR in your poll choices.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2011, 06:01:15 PMWhereas everyone loves that slaveowning tyrant Jefferson because he plagiarized Locke and wrote Bible fan fiction.

As a southern boy, I'm surprised you swallow the revisionist McCulloch Jefferson-hate that's been all the rage the last few years.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2011, 06:43:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:12:12 PM
What was so great about the first term?
Inflation went from 13% to under 4%, Reagan hammered the PATCO fucks, income taxes dropped 40% at the top level and 30% at the lowest level, while increasing revenues, the Grenada invasion, and the whole "last pages of communism" stance including his handling of the cruise/Pershing deployment that would lead to the IRNF Treaty.  "Morning in America."

You can certainly blame his administration foir ignoring the problems with the S&L business (which would blow up in his second term) and the Lebanon miscalculation that turned into a disaster, but it was a great first term, by any standards.

Read some history.

Tax cuts that led to major deficits, attacking on a Union, an invasion of tiny unimportant island, propaganda, and nuclear weapons.  Wow, how could I have overlooked such greatness.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

He didn't attack a union.  He fired some federal workers who were striking illegally.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2011, 07:13:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2011, 06:01:15 PMWhereas everyone loves that slaveowning tyrant Jefferson because he plagiarized Locke and wrote Bible fan fiction.

As a southern boy, I'm surprised you swallow the revisionist McCulloch Jefferson-hate that's been all the rage the last few years.

I just know that Jefferson enjoyed owning humans and feared the federal government until he was the federal government, when he learned to love abusing his power.

And Deism is a choice made by pussies.

Okay, overall, he's not a monster, particularly by the standards of his time (e.g., any European ruler), but his treatment as an icon disgusts me.

Quote from: Admiral YiHe didn't attack a union.  He fired some federal workers who were striking illegally.

Maybe Raz meant the Soviet one. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 07:29:01 PM
Tax cuts that led to major deficits, attacking on a Union, an invasion of tiny unimportant island, propaganda, and nuclear weapons.  Wow, how could I have overlooked such greatness.
The tax cuts didn't lead to the deficits, spending did (and not just military spending, which didn't increase all that much from Carter's final years).

But you seem to have the answer you want.  I certainly won't inflict upon you answers that you don't want.  Not even when they make sense.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 07:31:12 PM
He didn't attack a union.  He fired some federal workers who were striking illegally.
I don't believe that that's an answer Raz wants. 

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2011, 07:40:47 PM
The tax cuts didn't lead to the deficits, spending did (and not just military spending, which didn't increase all that much from Carter's final years).
That's a questionable claim as well.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/downchart_gs.php?year=1970_2016&view=1&expand=&units=p&log=linear&fy=fy12&chart=F0-fed&bar=1&stack=1&size=m&title=&state=US&color=c&local=s

Spending seems relatively flat as percent of GDP during Reagan's term, and doesn't have the definitive movements like the income tax revenue as percent of GDP does.

http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/downchart_gr.php?year=1900_2010&view=1&expand=&units=p&log=linear&fy=fy12&chart=10-fed&bar=0&stack=1&size=m&title=&state=US&color=c&local=s