Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2011, 10:45:58 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 29, 2011, 10:18:00 AM
The lesson being your parents are assholes?

It's a hostile world for Jews.

There are easier ways to do that - just have 'em read the collected wit and wisdom of Slargos.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2011, 11:29:54 AM

There are easier ways to do that - just have 'em read the collected wit and wisdom of Slargos.  ;)
or you know ththe whole snip snip thing. if that doesn't tell you you're going to lead a tough life nothing will :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2011, 10:24:42 AM

I suppose after the events in Norway, if parents tried that, they would have got their ass kicked. Which would have been fun. :P
They'd learn the lesson of what batons feel like :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2011, 10:15:50 AM
This reminds me of a story I once heard on the radio.  There was a Jewish summer camp where on the last week several of the parents dressed up a Klan members and pretended to take the campers hostage.  Terrified the kids, but I suppose it was meant to teach a lesson. 

Knowing a few Jewish moms, I'm sure they were a dead giveaway.  But then again, their nagging might be more terrifying than a burning cross.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

I don't have any hard numbers to work off of, but given that IIRC something like 50% of the children and adolescents in Oslo are of non-western origin and that they typically lean towards the left it looks more like they're very under represented.

But hey, Martinus may very well be correct.

I like [perhaps the wrong word, pretend it's dribbling with sarcasm] how they [the media] went out of their way to pick out the immigrant kids to interview after the event, btw.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2011, 10:05:15 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2011, 09:55:00 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2011, 09:39:18 AM
Two Middle Eastern kids in this picture (have seen ones with more) but I just wanted to post it, because this is so goddamn sad. This was really the elite of the young people in Norway.  :(
It is quite sad, even more so when you see the faces.  But let's not overstate things-- the elite of the young people in Norway??
Why not? Who would you consider to be elite, among the young, if not people engaged in social and community work?
Kids with money.  Kids who aren't so lame as to have Mandela for a hero.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

I counted 14 of the 76 having non-western names and thus presumably being non-western. I didn't count the Georgian who was visiting specifically for the camp, nor the girl who was quite obviously adopted given the Norweigan last names.

Higher than the % of immigrant population in the country, but lower than the % of immigrant population in Oslo. Much lower than the % of young "immigrants" [quotation marks since many of them are actually born in Norway, but you get the drift, ethnical deviants].

Given that the total amount of participants was somewhere around 700, and the relatively small sample size of the murdered, it may of course be that a disproportionate amount of the "immigrants" were either killed or spared thus skewing the numbers, but it gives a general idea I suppose.

Slargos

Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2011, 11:31:36 AM
IMHO it doesn't matter a jot who the victims were, one victim of such an outrage is a just as much a tragedy as anyone else in society who might randomly be killed. 

If a killer, perhaps a 'mad' eugenicist, had gone into a workshop or school run for adults with learning difficulties, say people we used describe as having downs syndrome, would that be any less of a tragedy because clearly they're never likely to be part of a country's 'elite' ?

edit:
That's not to say we shouldn't read their stories and empathies with the loss to their families and friends.

I don't know if you've read the particular story, but the one that made me come closer to tears than I've been in probably over a decade, was the 11 year old who inadvertently saved a guy by stumbling onto the scene of ABB busily reloading while a guy is pleading for his life [possibly the one pictured with a man in the water a couple of meters away from ABB, but I can't be sure] and saying, "Please. Don't shoot us anymore. You've already killed my father. Please stop shooting." And apparently ABB just walked away, sparing both the child and the man. Evidently not completely heart less.

Later, as the kid was swimming from the island together with a few others, and ABB was shooting at the group, he'd told the girl dragging him along, "I thought police officers were supposed to be nice."

This, more than anything else, chokes me up just thinking about it.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2011, 11:23:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2011, 10:05:15 AM
Why not? Who would you consider to be elite, among the young, if not people engaged in social and community work?

Top academic performers, musical prodigies, etc.  Social & community work is fine & dandy (not sure how attending a political party summer camp qualifies as such but whatever), but I don't think that makes one part of the elite.

I don't know - a musical talent is just something that you have - I find a personality that causes one to try to help others or take an active role in a society to make you much more of the elite than just having fast fingers and a good ear.

Slargos

IDK.

To my mind, the "elite" are the people who are not easily replaced from a societal perspective. The kind of people you'd put on an Ark if the world was dying and you had limited space. On an individual level everyone is irreplacable to someone, but the loss to society of a gifted artist or a brilliant scientist is much greater than that of a salesman, no matter how caring and helpful he is.

These people may be [or have been, I suppose] part of the future political elite [and in case you've missed it, this type of activity is basically a plant school for the party], but in a broader sense they are all just nameless cogs.

Viking

Calling them the elite is a bit misleading.

These kids were on the political career track and among the kids on the island one would expect to find a few future ministers and possibly a prime minister.

This is a career track which starts in high school with school politics (student council, model UN etc.) Eventually the most successful drop out of uni and join leadership positions in the political parties and get fast tracked to the top of electoral lists by the central party. This is not a camp that indoctrinates otherwise innocent children, but rather an act of teambuilding for self selecting members. These kids are not the elite, being in high politics does not provide much caché or prestige in Norway.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

All this talk about "ABB" is confusing.  I keep thinking Percy Barnevik is to blame somehow.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2011, 11:29:54 AM

Few children are going to be awed or frightened by the Wit and Wisdom of Slargos.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2011, 02:21:55 PM
All this talk about "ABB" is confusing.  I keep thinking Percy Barnevik is to blame somehow.

I keep reading it as "ABBA".

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2011, 02:21:55 PM

Percy isn't evil. Percy got rich or died trying. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.