Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2011, 09:39:18 AM
Two Middle Eastern kids in this picture (have seen ones with more) but I just wanted to post it, because this is so goddamn sad. This was really the elite of the young people in Norway.  :(

It is quite sad, even more so when you see the faces.  But let's not overstate things-- the elite of the young people in Norway??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on July 28, 2011, 06:33:51 PM
You know, I'm actually getting really tired of this Martinus-bashing in every single thread. Especially by you, Raz.
Marty has flaws. I have a lot myself. And you've got a few yourself.

Raz is doing the forum a public service.  I know he saves me the trouble of antagonizing Marti.

QuoteMarti very often makes emotional rants. No need go ahead and declare all-out jihad just because someone stepped on some toes.

FYP LOL
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2011, 09:55:00 AM
Two Middle Eastern kids in this picture (have seen ones with more) but I just wanted to post it, because this is so goddamn sad. This was really the elite of the young people in Norway.  :(

It is quite sad, even more so when you see the faces.  But let's not overstate things-- the elite of the young people in Norway??

Why not? Who would you consider to be elite, among the young, if not people engaged in social and community work?

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on July 29, 2011, 10:05:15 AM

Why not? Who would you consider to be elite, among the young, if not people engaged in social and community work?

That doesn't mean a god damn thing. They could be smartass busybodies or ambitious pricks. I am not more sorry for them than if it was a camp of an orphanage.

Razgovory

This reminds me of a story I once heard on the radio.  There was a Jewish summer camp where on the last week several of the parents dressed up a Klan members and pretended to take the campers hostage.  Terrified the kids, but I suppose it was meant to teach a lesson. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on July 29, 2011, 10:18:00 AM
The lesson being your parents are assholes?

A very important lesson, I'd have thought.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2011, 10:20:35 AM

Although i'm sure they knew that before going to camp. Plus now  they have some new psychological trauma to go along with the standard bag you get from asshole parents lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on July 29, 2011, 10:22:42 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2011, 10:20:35 AM

Although i'm sure they knew that before going to camp. Plus now  they have some new psychological trauma to go along with the standard bag you get from asshole parents lol

I suppose after the events in Norway, if parents tried that, they would have got their ass kicked. Which would have been fun. :P

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2011, 10:09:52 AM

That doesn't mean a god damn thing. They could be smartass busybodies or ambitious pricks. I am not more sorry for them than if it was a camp of an orphanage.

They were future members of parliament etc and could therefore be said to be part of the political elite. Many (most?) members of the elite are ambitious halfwits.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Top academic performers, musical prodigies, etc.  Social & community work is fine & dandy (not sure how attending a political party summer camp qualifies as such but whatever), but I don't think that makes one part of the elite.

It's enough of a tragedy as it is.