Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 05:18:14 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 04:04:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 03:59:52 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 03:58:18 AM
Haw.  Out of curiosity, is that also the Pole version of Eugene?

No. Polish is "Eugeniusz". If you want a Polish version of a name, you have to take an English name, mispspell it, and add a W or CZ or SZ somewhere.  :P

Sorry to ask a boring-ass followup, but do you guys have the "yeh" sound or is an E pronounced "eh" or "ee" (although in that case, however, I'd assume a long "u"?

I know that Polish isn't that closely related to Russian, so it's probably like assuming that Romanian is pronounced the same as French.

E is pronounced like "eh" - similar to the "e" in "bed".

We have the "yeh" sound but it's achieved by putting "e" behind "i" or "j" (e.g. "pies" - meaning a "dog" or "jechać" meaning "to ride"). The sound is slightly different between both, but in principle you get "ie" when it follows a consonant and "je" when it is at the beginning of a word or after a vowel (but sometimes there can be "je" after a consonant, when the word is built from another word with "je" at the beginning - e.g. "wjechać" meaning "to ride into" or "zjechać" meaning "to ride down" or "najechać" meaning "to ride onto" or "invade").

Neat.  Thanks. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 26, 2011, 11:31:32 AM
Not genes, but genealogy. Unless you think countries / societies /  collective entities reinvent themselves every generation or so.

In part, yes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on July 26, 2011, 11:33:01 AM
We're not talking about "crocodile tears", but honest self-reflection and real tears of sadness, anger and frustration. We're not talking about journalists trying to shift the blame, but to inform the public. Janne Kristiansen explained well why the Westend Mass Murderer flew under the radar, and no matter how you see it or read it, there was no attempt to blame it on the security service. I notice Gates of Vienna and assorted other wingnut sites are spending most of their energy to distance themselves from the monster from Skøyen. Maybe they're even reflecting whether their collective mass psychosis is correct?

Self-reflection is what people tend to do in the aftermath of trauma, and at least to me, the events of Friday 22nd is a gaping trauma. Everyone wants to find some answers, if only to get some peace. I'd also say that mourning is a fairly human reaction.

Maybe you're right.

I see a lot of scrambling to assign blame in every direction, though, when there's only really once place that blame can be assigned.

Maybe this is a necessary part of the healing process, I don't know. I just don't like it.

Valdemar

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2011, 11:30:52 AM
I'm going to punch Beeb in the nuts next time I'm in Canada. How is that?

I always wondered about that threat..

Are you a midget or something? I mean, punching him in the nuts would imply either you are on you knees, or that he is a towering giant, or that you are a midget.

Kicking his nuts, or punching his nose I can get, that would be on the level so to speak :D

V

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2011, 11:29:59 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2011, 11:25:47 AM
Quit being a cunt.  That's not a threat, that's an analysis.

Please explain the difference between a threat and an analysis in the statement that someone should  be killed.
Intent.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valdemar on July 26, 2011, 11:36:03 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2011, 11:30:52 AM
I'm going to punch Beeb in the nuts next time I'm in Canada. How is that?

I always wondered about that threat..

Are you a midget or something? I mean, punching him in the nuts would imply either you are on you knees, or that he is a towering giant, or that you are a midget.

Kicking his nuts, or punching his nose I can get, that would be on the level so to speak :D

V

6 glorious feet. I'll hire a midget to do the work.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2011, 11:34:33 AMThen call the cops, motherfucker.  Beeb can try and prosecute me himself.

Nobody was prosecuted for saying that the US deserved 9/11, so I like my chances.

:lol: For some reason Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory" comes to mind.

QuoteBesides, Canadian law (which is utterly retarded in all matters relating to free speech) doesn't have jurisdiction wherever Slargos is.  I think that you would be performing a public service if you were to kill yourself today.

Well, according the Raz (and Slargos when the mood strikes him) Norwegian law is much more stringent than Canadian law in these matters. So the jurisdiction thing may not be the obstacle you think it is.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2011, 11:34:33 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 26, 2011, 11:27:19 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2011, 11:25:47 AMQuit being a cunt.  That's not a threat, that's an analysis.
Not under Canadian law. Just ask BB.
Then call the cops, motherfucker.  Beeb can try and prosecute me himself.

Nobody was prosecuted for saying that the US deserved 9/11, so I like my chances.

Besides, Canadian law (which is utterly retarded in all matters relating to free speech) doesn't have jurisdiction wherever Slargos is.  I think that you would be performing a public service if you were to kill yourself today.

Don't tempt me, Neil-o.  You know you're in my jurisdiction now. :menace:

And an uttering threats charge could be prosecuted in both the jurisdiction where the utterer is, and where the receiver is.

Now I'm not saying anyone has committed a crime here.  Hell I don't even know which particular unhinged comment of Slargy we're talking about.  I'm just pointing out that some of the defense mentioned (like being a conditional threat, or differing jurisdiction) wouldn't fly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: Jacob on July 26, 2011, 11:38:17 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2011, 11:34:33 AMThen call the cops, motherfucker.  Beeb can try and prosecute me himself.

:lol: For some reason Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory" comes to mind.

QuoteBesides, Canadian law (which is utterly retarded in all matters relating to free speech) doesn't have jurisdiction wherever Slargos is.  I think that you would be performing a public service if you were to kill yourself today.

Well, according the Raz (and Slargos when the mood strikes him) Norwegian law is much more stringent than Canadian law in these matters. So the jurisdiction thing may not be the obstacle you think it is.

:lol:

If I ever were to tell you, "I'm going to find you and rape your wife infront of you before I kill you" there might actually be some merit to the notion that it would be prosecutable. I really doubt there would be tremendous police efforts in tracking me down and prosecuting me, but I suppose it would actually be theoretically possible. Of course, being that the server isn't in Norway there's all sorts of iffy legal issues. I can't recall ever having read about any such case going to court in Norway.

Now, you'd need to piss me off a fair bit more for me to even make such a threat, and beyond that you'd have to work very hard to make me go through with it.  :P

Jacob

Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 11:42:47 AM:lol:

If I ever were to tell you, "I'm going to find you and rape your wife infront of you before I kill you" there might actually be some merit to the notion that it would be prosecutable. I really doubt there would be tremendous police efforts in tracking me down and prosecuting me, but I suppose it would actually be theoretically possible. Of course, being that the server isn't in Norway there's all sorts of iffy legal issues. I can't recall ever having read about any such case going to court in Norway.

Now, you'd need to piss me off a fair bit more for me to even make such a threat, and beyond that you'd have to work very hard to make me go through with it.  :P

Way to burst my bubble  :(

Slargos

Quote from: Jacob on July 26, 2011, 11:43:52 AM
Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 11:42:47 AM:lol:

Way to burst my bubble  :(

Whoa. Did you miss the fact that I implied there is a chance?  :hmm:

It's a pretty small bubble, but it's intact.  :hug:

Grey Fox

The server is in Texas. Texas & US law have jurisdiction.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2011, 11:45:29 AM

In fact in this case Norway, Texas and Canada all have overlapping jurisdiction.

Isn't criminal law fun?  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

What I don't get, is that working on the stipulation that I am in fact "unhinged", why would you want to fuck with me like that?  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2011, 11:45:29 AM

Correction, Texas is one of the possible places that may take jurisdiction in addition to the jurisdictions of the sender and the reciever.  Now we start getting into the nuances of the conflicts of laws and really is Slargo worth all that bother.