News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taliban in Swat

Started by citizen k, April 21, 2009, 02:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

I really don't care if Muslim countries are free as long as they can control those people that are trying to blow me up.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2009, 05:02:57 AM
Name as many muslim countries that are democratic, non-fundamentalist and not actively supported by the West.
Indonesia, Bangladesh, Senegal, Turkey, Mali (or Mauritania, I always get the two mixed up, one's a democracy the other's an unpleasant military dictatorship), Kosovo, arguably Bosnia and Lebanon, Malaysia (to some extent), arguably Nigeria and Tanzania.  Off the top of my head, that is.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

I can't believe Malaysia's democracy is less flawed than Turkey's :o
Let's bomb Russia!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2009, 01:40:20 PM
I can't believe Malaysia's democracy is less flawed than Turkey's :o

That's because the people making the ratings are idiots.  Malaysia is a great place, but being more free than Turkey is a joke.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2009, 01:39:13 PMMali (or Mauritania, I always get the two mixed up, one's a democracy the other's an unpleasant military dictatorship)

Mauritania is a racist authoritarian military regime where Arabs stomp all over the black man.

Mali is a free and noble republic which if it did not have unfortunate things like practically universal female genital cutting would be an African paradise.

Amadou Toumani Touré is the George Washington of Africa...at least so long as he actually steps down once his term expires in 2012 :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2009, 05:40:05 AM
Neither Kosovo nor Muslim Bosnia would exist without Western Support.
And Turkey receives both Western support and until recently hasn't been a democracy, but a military dictatorship with a semi-democratic process. Once allowed the total freedom of choice, the people have elected... wait for it... islamists!

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2009, 05:59:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2009, 05:53:06 AM

Iran's regime has been around quite a while.
30 years is not a while.
And it is deeply unpopular.
:lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Eochaid on April 21, 2009, 06:17:03 AM
Quote from: clandestino on April 21, 2009, 05:51:59 AM
Hey Eochaid, I fully agree with your point, but let's just say that your definition of "democracy" is a *little* bit broad. :P

Democracy Index 2008.

They list 30 full democracies, 50 flawed democracies, 36 hybrid regimes and 51 authoritarian states.

Lets have a look at my list, with democracy score:

Albania (5.91)
Algeria  (3.32, fail)
Bengladesh (5.52)
Bosnia (5.70)
Egypt (3.89, fail)
Indonesia (6.34)
Kosovo (not scored yet)
Lebanon (5.62)
Malaysia (6.36)
Mali (5.87)
Morocco (3.88, fail)
Senegal (5.37)
Tunisia (2.96, fail)
Turkey (5.69)

I admit some of the countries failed the democracy test, but other Moslem countries I didn't mention actually passed the test: Mali, Tanzania, Ghana, Palestine etc.

Kevin
Palestine is not a country. AND it uses sharia.

You: fail.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2009, 01:39:13 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2009, 05:02:57 AM
Name as many muslim countries that are democratic, non-fundamentalist and not actively supported by the West.
Indonesia, Bangladesh, Senegal, Turkey, Mali (or Mauritania, I always get the two mixed up, one's a democracy the other's an unpleasant military dictatorship), Kosovo, arguably Bosnia and Lebanon, Malaysia (to some extent), arguably Nigeria and Tanzania.  Off the top of my head, that is.
Last time I checked Nigeria was applying sharia law in the muslim part of it.

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2009, 05:59:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2009, 05:53:06 AM

Iran's regime has been around quite a while.
30 years is not a while.
And it is deeply unpopular.

30 years is actually a pretty decent amount of time IMO.  The regime's grip on the country remains very solid, regardless of how unpopular it is with some Iranians.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2009, 05:40:05 AM
Neither Kosovo nor Muslim Bosnia would exist without Western Support.

Yes but he was saying that said country would collapse into a dictatorship without western support. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2009, 02:27:22 PM

Nigeria is infected with a cancer that spreads ignorance and general stupidity and will eventually destroy the host.  I speak, of course, of oil.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2009, 02:26:13 PM
What's your point?  Ontario applies sharia law.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Also, Marty, of the democratic Islamic countries with the possible exception of Palestine, not one has ever elected a radical Islamist regime.  As I say, even in Pakistan, the Islamists have never managed to get even 20% of the vote.  So the dichotomy between democratically elected Islamists and unelected, Western supported dictatorships just isn't borne out, in any sense.  It's not based in fact.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2009, 02:34:35 PM
Also, Marty, of the democratic Islamic countries with the possible exception of Palestine, not one has ever elected a radical Islamist regime.  As I say, even in Pakistan, the Islamists have never managed to get even 20% of the vote.  So the dichotomy between democratically elected Islamists and unelected, Western supported dictatorships just isn't borne out, in any sense.  It's not based in fact.
Didn't Algeria elect one that got promptly couped?