No Small Fries: Restaurant Bans Kids Under Six Years Old

Started by garbon, July 12, 2011, 02:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Look. Personally I have no problem with children*, screaming or otherwise. I know that the parents will typically feel far worse about their screaming children than me, even if there's probably the odd screwball who doesn't care that their kid raises hell.

However, I can understand that some people have a harder time with it than others, and the furor raised every time someone wants to ban kids from their place of business is just ridiculous. Go somewhere else. Why the fuck must people insist on going to places where they are obviously not wanted, "just because". They are the attention whores, not this guy.

*Unless they're darkies.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on July 14, 2011, 12:45:47 PM
However, I can understand that some people have a harder time with it than others, and the furor raised every time someone wants to ban kids from their place of business is just ridiculous. Go somewhere else. Why the fuck must people insist on going to places where they are obviously not wanted, "just because". They are the attention whores, not this guy.

Yeah I completely agree.

It is not like there are not plenty of restaurants who will be happy for your business.  Heck many of them run promotions, like kids eat free on some nights, to get you to come and bring your kids.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Look. Personally I have no problem with children*, screaming or otherwise. I know that the parents will typically feel far worse about their screaming children than me, even if there's probably the odd screwball who doesn't care that their kid raises hell.

Yeah ... but there is no-one actually insisting on eating in this fellow's restaurant.  :hmm: Indeed, it's likely he doesn't get many kids, given his pace is at a golf course. So who is your post directed at?

Pretty well every parent in this thread has already said that making such a rule is fine with them - *before* you chose to grace it with your presence.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 01:12:52 PM

Yeah ... but there is no-one actually insisting on eating in this fellow's restaurant.  :hmm: Indeed, it's likely he doesn't get many kids, given his pace is at a golf course. So who is your post directed at?

Pretty well every parent in this thread has already said that making such a rule is fine with them - *before* you chose to grace it with your presence.  ;)

Yet you're all bitching about it.

Ed Anger

Join me Slarg in attacking Mart.  Together we'll rule the galaxy as father and son.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on July 14, 2011, 01:32:03 PM
Yet you're all bitching about it.

We are making fun of this guy as an attenion whore and saying he sounds like an ass. Not complaining about his "policy".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

It's fine that he doesn't want kids in his restaurants BUT...

I'm not religious BUT...

I have no horse in the Israel race BUT...

Pattern here? :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I think this discussion misses the main point - it's not about where you ban kids, it's about parents being harebrained and bringing young kids to locales where it is clearly inappropriate. No, you don't need to bring your 4 yo to a dinner at a restaurant, or go to "family holidays" to Maldives involving a 16 hours trip on a plane.

When you decided to have a kid - more power to you - but that does involve certain sacrifices and you should not ignore them until "someone politely complains". If you come to a social occassion smelling of shit, or with a loud dog - it's not that you are in clear until "someone complains" - it's your onus not to let this happen in the first place.

Valmy

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2011, 01:35:48 PM

I'm not religious BUT...

Despite appearances, I'm not *that* into butts.

Edit: d'oh! Ninja'd by the Valmster.  :D

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 01:37:41 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2011, 01:35:48 PM

I'm not religious BUT...

Despite appearances, I'm not *that* into butts.

Well you should be.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2011, 09:56:23 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 14, 2011, 09:52:25 AM
The problem arises when their parents are assholes and fail to teach the children how to behave..............as several others have pointed out.

And in that case simply complain to the management or ask politely.  Just like you would if they were a bunch of unruley adults.
But that does not mean that the unruly adults are not doing anything wrong until someone complans, no? A parent who brings a young kid to a restaurant is the retard breaking social rules - the onus should not be on fellow guests or the owner to tell him or her that.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2011, 01:36:20 PM
I think this discussion misses the main point - it's not about where you ban kids, it's about parents being harebrained and bringing young kids to locales where it is clearly inappropriate. No, you don't need to bring your 4 yo to a dinner at a restaurant, or go to "family holidays" to Maldives involving a 16 hours trip on a plane.

When you decided to have a kid - more power to you - but that does involve certain sacrifices and you should not ignore them until "someone politely complains". If you come to a social occassion smelling of shit, or with a loud dog - it's not that you are in clear until "someone complains" - it's your onus not to let this happen in the first place.

It is amazing how you flail about like a crazy person and then come back and say something reasonable.

I am not sure how kids are not supposed to be at restaurants though.  Or go on vacations.  Just, you know, be polite.

If little kids were not supposed to be at restaurants then they would not have kids menus and provide high chairs and actively solicite parents with kids to come eat there.  If kids were not supposed to be on vacations, tourism organizations would not be actively trying to market towards them and their parents.  How is that a basic social expectation?