Education Authority Places Enormous Order For Bubble Wrap And Cotton Wool.

Started by mongers, July 15, 2011, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Will no one think of the children pt37:

Mandatory 'sun safety' policies for schools are needed

All UK schools should be required to have a comprehensive sun safety policy to protect children from skin cancer, a charity campaigner says.

A recent survey of 1,000 parents, commissioned by MPs on the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Skin, found almost 40% of pupils have suffered sunburn while at school.

Richard Clifford of Skin Cancer UK says this is "entirely unacceptable" and wants mandatory sun rules for schools.

Current guidelines are not compulsory.

The call comes as parents of a 10-year-old girl who attends a school near Swansea complained their daughter had suffered severe sunburn at a sports day.

Pennard Primary School said parents could come in at lunch-time to apply cream, but that it would be impossible for teachers to apply suncream to the 200 children attending the school.

Advice from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) says schools should encourage children to seek shade whenever possible, particularly when out playing in the midday sun.

And it says sunscreen (of at least SPF 15 strength) should be applied liberally half an hour before and after going out in the sun and reapplied every two hours thereafter.

Rest of article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/health-14104524

That explains why I always remember my childhood years as being sunny, apparently it's sunnier above schools; which would also explain all the cloudy days out one experiences once an adult.  :(

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

All-Party Parliamentary Group on Skin

You realize these quangos are beyond the out-of-control stage and quickly approaching the Twilight Zone.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Reminds me of when my boy's school Rugby team returned from a Tournament on Vancouver Island.  It was cloudy here when the boys left. It was very sunny there.  No parent thought to send sun screen and to a player they all returned with bright red faces.

What was the reaction?  Horror at the thought the school coaches (who also did not think to bring sun screen) were not smarter than the parents; calls for government to intervene to protect child rubgy players everywhere from such neglect?

My recollection is that we laughed at ourselves for not being very bright.