Why Americans die younger than Brits. And Canucks, Aussies and Japanese...

Started by Brazen, July 11, 2011, 03:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 12:43:30 PM
There was a lot of fat people taking scooters around.  Sad sight seeing obese parents on scooters with their young kids (on the way to becoming really fat) trailing behing them.

Is that how Disney is these days?  Sounds pretty much like Wal-Mart in that regard.  Nothing like seeing a morbidly obese mom or grandma screaming at her kids & trying to chase them down on her scooter.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 02:45:47 PM
Really expensive steak houses also serve enormous portions.

They still taste good when heated up in the microwave the next day.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 11, 2011, 03:51:34 PM

:yuk:

at the very least heat left over meat over a grill

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 04:14:22 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 11, 2011, 03:51:34 PM

at the very least heat left over meat over a grill

I don't own a microwave. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Cecil on July 11, 2011, 02:52:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2011, 02:36:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 02:32:28 PM
These were real restaurants.  I knew fast food joints do that but the portion sizes of restaurants serving real food suprised me.

While I wouldn't base my opinions on the Anaheim area, it is true that our portions are fairly large. Want small portions? Head to an upscale establishment.

Really expensive steak houses also serve enormous portions.  I think by upscale you mean fine dining where portions are small even in the US.

Isnt that a rather common complaint from US tourists when they are abroad. That the portion sizes are tiny?

"No you fatass thats the amount of calories you actually need".

To be serious though when I have done the touristy thing in the US I tend to notice that the number that are overweight seems to be not that much higher than over here but the ones that are overwight are merely overweight here and morbidly obese there. I suspect my observational capabilities are wrong though because every statistic I read show that the percentage of fat people in the US is much higher.

Many people you think of as normal when you're in America would be considered fat if they walked down a street in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

:mellow:

You can split a meal if that's not satisfactory.

Restaurants serve large portions because they sell more food that way while keeping overhead and labor costs relatively stable. If they just raise the prices while still serving small portions, many customers don't feel they're getting their money's worth and go elsewhere.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2011, 04:19:43 PM
Many people you think of as normal when you're in America would be considered fat if they walked down a street in Sweden.
That's a purely hypothetical assertion.  In reality, no American would ever walk down a street.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 11, 2011, 04:47:32 PM

Restaurants serve large portions because they sell more food that way while keeping overhead and labor costs relatively stable. If they just raise the prices while still serving small portions, many customers don't feel they're getting their money's worth and go elsewhere.

It is odd that this same economic concern doesn't occur outside of the US.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

I remember watching some show that featured a famous deli in New York.  They served pastrami sandwiches there, which looked way too oversized.  The place's manager was talking about his sandwiches, and said that if his cutomer ever managed to finish their pastrami sandwich, then they feel like they made a mistake.   :blink:

No further logic was offered to explain why they think that way.  I love pastrami sandwiches, but I resolved to never eat in that deli after seeing that piece (of course, I forgot what that deli was, so I'll never eat pastrami sandwiches anywhere in Manhattan, just to be safe).  Being boastful of both gluttony and waste of food seems very degenerate to me.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2011, 04:49:40 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2011, 04:19:43 PM
That's a purely hypothetical assertion.  In reality, no American would ever walk down a street.

It's easy to laugh at Americans. I do it myself most of my waking hours.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on July 11, 2011, 04:50:01 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 11, 2011, 04:47:32 PM

It is odd that this same economic concern doesn't occur outside of the US.

This is generalizing of course, but food tends to be cheap in the US in comparison to Europe (I think we are probably comparing the US to Europe). The result of that is American restaurants may be a bit wasteful on the portion side to make sure that the customer doesn't leave hungry.

QuoteI remember watching some show that featured a famous deli in New York.  They served pastrami sandwiches there, which looked way too oversized.  The place's manager was talking about his sandwiches, and said that if his cutomer ever managed to finish their pastrami sandwich, then they feel like they made a mistake.   

Manhattan may be an extreme example: the land is extremely expensive, so the incremental food costs are rather negligible. Also, you are probably aiming for the tourist market, and are going to charge an arm and a leg anyway. Those arms and legs can be turned into pastrami substitutes, keeping food costs even lower.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 11, 2011, 05:16:14 PM
This is generalizing of course, but food tends to be cheap in the US in comparison to Europe (I think we are probably comparing the US to Europe). The result of that is American restaurants may be a bit wasteful on the portion side to make sure that the customer doesn't leave hungry.

Actually, the comparison here is with Canada. Dunno if food is cheaper in the US vs. Canada. I assume not, or not very.

I think the explaination is more likely cultural than economic.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2011, 04:55:37 PM
I remember watching some show that featured a famous deli in New York.  They served pastrami sandwiches there, which looked way too oversized.  The place's manager was talking about his sandwiches, and said that if his cutomer ever managed to finish their pastrami sandwich, then they feel like they made a mistake.   :blink:

No further logic was offered to explain why they think that way.  I love pastrami sandwiches, but I resolved to never eat in that deli after seeing that piece (of course, I forgot what that deli was, so I'll never eat pastrami sandwiches anywhere in Manhattan, just to be safe).  Being boastful of both gluttony and waste of food seems very degenerate to me.

I think I know the place you are talking about. Great sandwiches. They are always on the travel channel.

Wish I could remember the name. dammit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on July 11, 2011, 05:25:39 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 11, 2011, 05:16:14 PM

Actually, the comparison here is with Canada. Dunno if food is cheaper in the US vs. Canada. I assume not, or not very.

I think the explaination is more likely cultural than economic.

Is America really so different than Canada? If CC was to compare Vancouver to Seattle or San Fransisco, would there be a difference? I don't know if there is a Canadian counterpart to Orlando, but your national dish is poutine, isn't it?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014