News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Looking For Books on Various Subjects

Started by Queequeg, July 12, 2011, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on July 12, 2011, 11:41:58 PM
This is fair, actually.  Given the near-total dearth of literature on Sassanian and Parthian Persia, I presumed that the literature on the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom was similarly limited.  Seems that was flawed. 

I've seen a lot of books on Alexander's campaign, but few on Bactria before. Now I'm getting two for my birthday, I think.

The Parthians left behind almost no written documents, I believe, so all we know of them comes from Romans and Indians. 

A dearth of information on the Sassanids is more puzzling.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 11:44:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2011, 11:41:09 PM
I always wanted to find a good book on Cortez and the fall of the Aztecs.  Everything I find is about how evil Europeans crushed a beautiful native culture.  Bleh.

It's not like Cortez has a great deal of stuff in his favor. :P

It is still rather lazy to make him and the Spanish 2-dimensional.  It is not like they built the first ever empire built on blood and steel.  Heck Spain itself had been conquered by a few of them.

I rarely see books about Julius Caesar so intellectually lazy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I have a question for Spellus.  Well anyone can answer, but I thought he might know.  What exactly is a "clay nail".  I've read about things written on clay nails but I'm not sure exactly what they are.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

The clay nails were apparently embedded into walls of structures and were inscribed to attest to their foundation and to what deity the structure belonged to. It was a Sumerian practice and also used by the Egyptians in some form.  :elvis:

http://www.etc.cmu.edu/projects/i4i/photos/nail.html

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on July 13, 2011, 09:10:30 AM
QuoteI'm reading a book on Elam
Name?  Any good?

It is actually a textbook: the archeology of elam.  :blush:

That is the only book I could find on the topic. It is good for what it is.

Raz, I haven't made it that far into the book, which is arranged chronologically, and I haven't made it into the period where a full writing system was developed. But with the proto writing system in Susa, the view seems to be that Susa not so separate from Sumerian culture. But I think things may be different in later periods, as their culture was differentiated by migrations/conquest of Susa from the Iranian plateau.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014