Why Americans die younger than Brits. And Canucks, Aussies and Japanese...

Started by Brazen, July 11, 2011, 03:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2011, 11:53:55 AM

salt helps water retention.  I guess it's useful in a desert.
A Gatorade is mostly fruit juice with salt and sugar, for the water retention and the energy boost.
It's cheaper to give you salt tablets than a dozen of Gatorade bottles.
In hot weather where you sweat a lot you lose electrolytes that you need to replace.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2011, 03:23:22 PM
I don't think tourists are generally watching their calorie counts. If their stomach is still growling after a meal, they are probably somewhat justified in being annoyed.

Not at all. Stomachs are as big as one trains them to be. Or small. Even though a couple years have passed since my worst flare ups and surgery, I still feel full after eating half what anyone else around me.

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on July 12, 2011, 02:33:00 PM
I don't think tourists are generally watching their calorie counts. If their stomach is still growling after a meal, they are probably somewhat justified in being annoyed.

Not at all. Stomachs are as big as one trains them to be. Or small. Even though a couple years have passed since my worst flare ups and surgery, I still feel full after eating half what anyone else around me.

Except that many people don't sit around training their stomach.  So again what I said holds true.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I heard that was a myth - that short of surgery, your stomach is always the same size.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2011, 05:42:48 PMI heard that was a myth - that short of surgery, your stomach is always the same size.

I imagine that's true, but I expect that the amount you have to eat to feel full varies depending on your habits.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on July 12, 2011, 06:09:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2011, 05:42:48 PMI heard that was a myth - that short of surgery, your stomach is always the same size.

I imagine that's true, but I expect that the amount you have to eat to feel full varies depending on your habits.

Isn't an element of whether your stomach if full or not, psychological ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on July 12, 2011, 10:48:11 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 12, 2011, 10:33:23 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 12, 2011, 09:23:16 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 11, 2011, 05:29:52 PM
national dish is poutine, isn't it?

No. It's not yet common outside of Quebec.
you can get the fake stuff in most of canada (processed chedder instead of curds)

You can, at least in Toronto. Though I must say, I don't recall actually seeing anyone order it.  :lol:
I know some Nova Scotians that are a fan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 02:41:38 PM
Except that many people don't sit around training their stomach.  So again what I said holds true.

I'm not talking about apropos exercising here. Put it simply, you eat a lot, you'll need to eat a lot to get satiated. You spend some time eating less, you'll get satiated much faster.

It is not the restaurant's fault if the body of your regular American fattie is used to gargantuan meals just as it not their fault that I can barely eat half a menu.

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2011, 05:42:48 PM
I heard that was a myth - that short of surgery, your stomach is always the same size.

I imagine what varies in these cases is wall pressure needed for the brain to receive appropriate feedback.

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on July 13, 2011, 07:22:04 AM
I'm not talking about apropos exercising here. Put it simply, you eat a lot, you'll need to eat a lot to get satiated. You spend some time eating less, you'll get satiated much faster.

It is not the restaurant's fault if the body of your regular American fattie is used to gargantuan meals just as it not their fault that I can barely eat half a menu.

I'm glad then that I never said any of those things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

It's mainly tolerance to leptin, the satiety hormone, that enables people to eat more and not feel full, which happens through regular overating.

Though they "train up" for hot dog eating events and the like, competitive eaters feel as full we the rest of us eating normal meals the rest of the time, despite the fact they can stretch their stomachs to the size of a beach ball.

Cecil

What surgery is that?

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on July 11, 2011, 05:58:43 PM
I kinda liked Juniors, in Manhatten. Nice place, enormous portions. Tasty cheesecake (though again, in amounts normal folks can't actually eat).

I'll take your bet, Malthus. :hmm:

Quote from: Siege on July 12, 2011, 11:56:35 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2011, 11:53:55 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 12, 2011, 11:48:24 AM
Isin't salt necesary to function?
yes, but it is found in most prepared meals already, or added during home cooking, or found elsewhere in other foods, so it is not necessary to add salt.

We get salt tablets in Iraq.
salt helps water retention.  I guess it's useful in a desert.
A Gatorade is mostly fruit juice with salt and sugar, for the water retention and the energy boost.
It's cheaper to give you salt tablets than a dozen of Gatorade bottles.

But we get both the gatorade and the salt tablets.
Unlimited and expected to drink both with water, of course.
Gatorade alone does not hydrate.
You need two bottles of water per each bottle of gatorade.

I dunno.  People say that soda alone can't hydrate you, but if that were the case, I'd have died about ten years ago.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 13, 2011, 05:20:21 PM
I'll take your bet, Malthus. :hmm:

I'll need proof that you are "normal" first.  :hmm:

Oh wait:

QuoteI dunno.  People say that soda alone can't hydrate you, but if that were the case, I'd have died about ten years ago.

Well, that tears it.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 13, 2011, 05:25:16 PM
I'm of normal weight.

Well, you wouldn't be, if you made a habit of eating at Junior's.  ;)

Seriously though - it's a great deli, but the portions are gluttonous.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius