Why Americans die younger than Brits. And Canucks, Aussies and Japanese...

Started by Brazen, July 11, 2011, 03:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2011, 06:00:36 PM
You foriegners would love the Cheesecake Factory.

I love Cheesecake. :cry:  But every time I eat it, I get sick.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2011, 06:21:11 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2011, 06:00:36 PM
You foriegners would love the Cheesecake Factory.

I love Cheesecake. :cry:  But every time I eat it, I get sick.

:console:  Reminds me of a great Ramones song though.

She had a very bad affair
with some cat from Hiroshima
She turned into a head of lettuce
She eats Thorazine in her farina
But they took her away
tossed her in the bin
Now she's hanging out
in East Berlin, ow-ooo

And everytime I eat vegetables
it makes me think of you
And everytime I eat vegetables
I don't know what to do, to do ow-ooo

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 05:57:46 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 11, 2011, 05:29:52 PM
Is America really so different than Canada? If CC was to compare Vancouver to Seattle or San Fransisco, would there be a difference? I don't know if there is a Canadian counterpart to Orlando, but your national dish is poutine, isn't it?

My observation is that the average body type in Vancouver is very different from the average body type I saw in Disneyland - Southern California. I spent a weekend in SF years ago but I dont remember enough to make a comparison.  It has been a few years since I was In Washington State (I really hate crossing the border now) but I dont recall that great of a difference in body type.

One big difference I have always noticed in all American cities is portion size which is why I commented on it again.

edit: there are places in Canada that are known for large portion size - the Memphis Grill here in Vancouver comes to mind for that.  That is the reason they stand out from the crowd.

Southern California has another problem--close proximity to Mexico, which has passed us for the most obese nation on earth.

When I'm traveling--and it really doesn't matter where-the portion sizes and general healthiness of the food are out of control and I feel disgusting after a few days. If I can find a place like a subway, I tend to eat a lot of meals there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 09:11:45 AM
If I can find a place like a subway, I tend to eat a lot of meals there.

You're the reason public transportation sucks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 12, 2011, 09:23:16 AM
national dish is poutine, isn't it?

No. It's not yet common outside of Quebec.
you can get the fake stuff in most of canada (processed chedder instead of curds)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2011, 09:54:19 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 09:11:45 AM
If I can find a place like a subway, I tend to eat a lot of meals there.

You're the reason public transportation sucks.

The sights and smells of the subway do keep you from overeating though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on July 12, 2011, 10:33:23 AM

you can get the fake stuff in most of canada (processed chedder instead of curds)

Even in bumfuck Manitoba?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on July 12, 2011, 10:33:23 AM

You can, at least in Toronto. Though I must say, I don't recall actually seeing anyone order it.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

grumbler

When I was in France, portion sizes didn't seem smaller to me than in restaurants I eat in stateside.  People in general seemed much less likely to be overweight, but pretty much everyone operating a food stand seemed overweight!

I ate mostly at bistros, so that may have effected the serving sizes I saw.  More upscale places may have had smaller portions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Isin't salt necesary to function?
We get salt tablets in Iraq.
I always add salt to my food, despite my wife's screams.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Siege on July 12, 2011, 11:48:24 AM
yes, but it is found in most prepared meals already, or added during home cooking, or found elsewhere in other foods, so it is not necessary to add salt.

salt helps water retention.  I guess it's useful in a desert.
A Gatorade is mostly fruit juice with salt and sugar, for the water retention and the energy boost.
It's cheaper to give you salt tablets than a dozen of Gatorade bottles.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2011, 11:43:31 AM
I ate mostly at bistros, so that may have effected the serving sizes I saw.  More upscale places may have had smaller portions.
isn't it typical of most upscale places, anywhere in the world?  pay more for less?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2011, 11:53:55 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 12, 2011, 11:48:24 AM
yes, but it is found in most prepared meals already, or added during home cooking, or found elsewhere in other foods, so it is not necessary to add salt.

salt helps water retention.  I guess it's useful in a desert.
A Gatorade is mostly fruit juice with salt and sugar, for the water retention and the energy boost.
It's cheaper to give you salt tablets than a dozen of Gatorade bottles.

But we get both the gatorade and the salt tablets.
Unlimited and expected to drink both with water, of course.
Gatorade alone does not hydrate.
You need two bottles of water per each bottle of gatorade.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"