Why Americans die younger than Brits. And Canucks, Aussies and Japanese...

Started by Brazen, July 11, 2011, 03:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 12:43:30 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 11, 2011, 12:38:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 12:06:09 PM
It may be that Disneyland is a magnet for fat people.

Nah, fat people don't typically like to spend their days walking around.

There was a lot of fat people taking scooters around.  Sad sight seeing obese parents on scooters with their young kids (on the way to becoming really fat) trailing behing them.

Fat people are amusing IMHO.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2011, 12:44:25 PM
Person years is not a great metric. Pound years makes more sense I think. Americans may die earlier but there's more of a typical American than a typical anything else. So what if a Japanese woman gets to 95 if she's just 50 lbs?
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Person years is not a great metric. Pound years makes more sense I think.

Andre the Giant lived a full life. :yes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

QuoteDying younger is a good thing.  Remember, anything past 65 are the useless years.
I trust you plan to take a visit to Switzerland on your 65th birthday?

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2011, 12:28:09 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2011, 12:24:17 PM
Americans are just fat all around, CC.

Take a trip to Burger King in Washington state, if its anything like New York State, the amount of food you can get for 20$ is staggering.

They have food at Burger King?  :huh:
:huh: BK is pretty good.
Especially compared to most fast food places.
Sadly expensive however.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on July 11, 2011, 01:50:36 PM

Take a trip to Burger King in Washington state, if its anything like New York State, the amount of food you can get for 20$ is staggering.

:huh: BK is pretty good.
Especially compared to most fast food places.
Sadly expensive however.

Brits are weird.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 12:06:09 PM
Having recently been to Disneyland there are two observations:

1) There are a lot of really really fat people at Disneyland.  It may be that Disneyland is a magnet for fat people.  I hope that is true.  I would hate to think the American public has the same percentage of really fat people.
they're all Canadian tourists.

2) Serving sizes.  I know we have gone over this before but wow are the serving sizes at restaurants around the Disney are large.  Now it may be that portions have to be large because a lot of fat people go to Disneyland. 
Never seen... Supersize me?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

They have triple stackers.  :)

DGuller

Person years is not a great metric. Pound years makes more sense I think. Americans may die earlier but there's more of a typical American than a typical anything else. So what if a Japanese woman gets to 95 if she's just 50 lbs?
:lmfao:

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 11, 2011, 02:21:53 PM
they're all Canadian tourists.

I guess they were using an American twang so as not to be targeted as "other".

Never seen... Supersize me?

These were real restaurants.  I knew fast food joints do that but the portion sizes of restaurants serving real food suprised me.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 02:32:28 PM
These were real restaurants.  I knew fast food joints do that but the portion sizes of restaurants serving real food suprised me.

While I wouldn't base my opinions on the Anaheim area, it is true that our portions are fairly large. Want small portions? Head to an upscale establishment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2011, 02:36:57 PM

While I wouldn't base my opinions on the Anaheim area, it is true that our portions are fairly large. Want small portions? Head to an upscale establishment.

Really expensive steak houses also serve enormous portions.  I think by upscale you mean fine dining where portions are small even in the US.

Cecil

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 02:45:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2011, 02:36:57 PM

Really expensive steak houses also serve enormous portions.  I think by upscale you mean fine dining where portions are small even in the US.

Isnt that a rather common complaint from US tourists when they are abroad. That the portion sizes are tiny?

"No you fatass thats the amount of calories you actually need".

To be serious though when I have done the touristy thing in the US I tend to notice that the number that are overweight seems to be not that much higher than over here but the ones that are overwight are merely overweight here and morbidly obese there. I suspect my observational capabilities are wrong though because every statistic I read show that the percentage of fat people in the US is much higher.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 02:45:47 PM

Yes that is what I meant by fine dining. Places where most of the plate is empty but costly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Cecil on July 11, 2011, 02:52:37 PM
Isnt that a rather common complaint from US tourists when they are abroad. That the portion sizes are tiny?

"No you fatass thats the amount of calories you actually need".

To be serious though when I have done the touristy thing in the US I tend to notice that the number that are overweight seems to be not that much higher than over here but the ones that are overwight are merely overweight here and morbidly obese there. I suspect my observational capabilities are wrong though because every statistic I read show that the percentage of fat people in the US is much higher.

I don't think tourists are generally watching their calorie counts. If their stomach is still growling after a meal, they are probably somewhat justified in being annoyed.