Reason #2,103 to mock America's education system

Started by CountDeMoney, July 07, 2011, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on July 07, 2011, 10:16:22 PM
We were told that we *must* use cursive, for strategic reasons.  Timing is one of the biggest challenges during exams.  Those who can write faster have an advantage over those who don't.  If you can write out the answers for 90 questions, you'll have a better chance than the guy who writes block letters and can only do 80 questions.  Therefore, we must practise our cursive whenever possible.
Our education systems are very different though.  Ours are designed to produce leaders and thinkers.  Yours is designed to produce automatons to do what we tell you to do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

The aim of the Chinese/HK system is selection.  There are various chokepoints along the way from grade 1 to university.  Only a set number/percentage can pass each chokepoint.  You don't pass by meeting certain standards.  You pass by being better than your mates.  Those who fail are disgarded. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on July 07, 2011, 11:06:15 PM
The aim of the Chinese/HK system is selection.  There are various chokepoints along the way from grade 1 to university.  Only a set number/percentage can pass each chokepoint.  You don't pass by meeting certain standards.  You pass by being better than your mates.  Those who fail are disgarded.
That's pointless. The goal should be for as many students as possible to do well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

As a teacher, I'm proud to say I don't teach to the tards.

DontSayBanana

Actually, Mono, block letterforms are only slower when writing both upper- and lowercase.  In Law Office Management, we were taught to use print uppercase letters because it's the fastest of the three.

I do resort to cursive frequently, but it's because after having injured both of my hands so many times, it's the only way I can write at a decent speed- my handwriting now resembles a hybrid of cursive and teeline shorthand that's undecipherable to nearly everyone.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quotethe argument that students should be spending more time learning keyboard skills than cursive -- because that's the future! -- is beginning to look like a straw man

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 07, 2011, 11:29:42 PM
As a teacher, I'm proud to say I don't teach to the tards.
In Korea they mainstream special ed kids like a lot of place in the US do. This may make sense for some kids in some subjects, but for a foreign language it's just doesn't work.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on July 07, 2011, 10:16:22 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 07, 2011, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 07, 2011, 09:58:14 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 07, 2011, 09:52:59 PM
By the time we reached grade 6, we were told never to use it again in school.

Why?  I think writing cursive is a bit faster.

They told us it was too messy, and thus should be avoided on tests an assignments.

We were told that we *must* use cursive, for strategic reasons.  Timing is one of the biggest challenges during exams.  Those who can write faster have an advantage over those who don't.  If you can write out the answers for 90 questions, you'll have a better chance than the guy who writes block letters and can only do 80 questions.  Therefore, we must practise our cursive whenever possible. 

Here one would get smacked down if whoever was the test reviewer couldn't read the handwriting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I remember in elementary school I would get A's in all the academic subjects and D's in handwriting. Good riddance.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Is nothing sacred? Next, the kids will stop learning how to use an abacus or wash their clothes with sand.  :rolleyes:

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2011, 10:03:30 PM
I was never good at cursive.  My handwriting is terrible and by high school I went back to childishly writing in block letter.  Doing so made my writing marginally more readable.

I thought cutting out words from newspapers and glueing them to a page would be more your style.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on July 08, 2011, 01:51:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2011, 10:03:30 PM
I was never good at cursive.  My handwriting is terrible and by high school I went back to childishly writing in block letter.  Doing so made my writing marginally more readable.

I thought cutting out words from newspapers and glueing them to a page would be more your style.

That's very time consuming, besides the days of typewriters (and the ability of the police to connect a typed out message and a typewriter), long dead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pedrito

I not only use cursive, but write my notes with a fountain pen.

:cool:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Ideologue

Cursive is fucking abomination.  Always has been.  It never should have been invented, let alone taught.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Cursive was great for what it was designed for.  So was the buggy whip and the iron lung.  All of them should be enshrined in a museum, somewhere.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!