Reason #2,103 to mock America's education system

Started by CountDeMoney, July 07, 2011, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I think I see the problem - Seedy is so uninterestnig that writing archaically is all he has to make himself a unique and special flower?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

I use cursive quite a lot, even today.  Sometimes it is just more convenient to write a few words by hand, rather than amend the electronic copy then print it out.  In HK, almost everybody uses cursive when writing English. 

Berkut

Seedy and the PRC - coming together on important issues since 1985.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

Quote from: Berkut on July 07, 2011, 09:16:23 PM
Seedy and the PRC - coming together on important issues since 1985.

I don't know the mainland practice.  This could be unique to HK.  Blame the British colonial officials. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on July 07, 2011, 09:10:47 PM
I think I see the problem - Seedy is so uninterestnig that writing archaically is all he has to make himself a unique and special flower?

One day, you're going to be found out on the street, stabbed in the chest with a Dupont through a manifesto on Almalfi paper.  And I'm going to have an alibi.

Monoriu

Actually, this is something that bothered me a lot when I first arrived in Canada.  Those who grow up in HK are taught that cursive is the only "adult" way to write English.  But when I showed my cursive handwriting to non-Chinese Canadians, many couldn't read them.  I thought that my English was too bad.  Turns out that many of them don't use cursive at all. 

Camerus

In my schooling experience, the teachers taught us cursive to us in grade 4, and the narrow-minded fucks always yelled at me because my writing was messy.  By the time we reached grade 6, we were told never to use it again in school.

Monoriu

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 07, 2011, 09:52:59 PM
By the time we reached grade 6, we were told never to use it again in school.

Why?  I think writing cursive is a bit faster. 

Razgovory

I was never good at cursive.  My handwriting is terrible and by high school I went back to childishly writing in block letter.  Doing so made my writing marginally more readable.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Monoriu on July 07, 2011, 09:58:14 PM

Because teachers can read printing easier than cursive.

Camerus

They told us it was too messy, and thus should be avoided on tests an assignments.

Razgovory

We were encouraged to use cursive.  I didn't because my Manuel dexterity is laughably bad.  There are people with cerebral palsy with steadier hands then me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 07, 2011, 10:13:26 PM

They told us it was too messy, and thus should be avoided on tests an assignments.

We were told that we *must* use cursive, for strategic reasons.  Timing is one of the biggest challenges during exams.  Those who can write faster have an advantage over those who don't.  If you can write out the answers for 90 questions, you'll have a better chance than the guy who writes block letters and can only do 80 questions.  Therefore, we must practise our cursive whenever possible. 

Neil

His prose is so dull that he has to use pretty letters to keep people from passing out?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2011, 10:19:03 PM
His prose is so dull that he has to use pretty letters to keep people from passing out?

Pica font can do that quite nicely, thank you.