Reason #2,103 to mock America's education system

Started by CountDeMoney, July 07, 2011, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Cursive is faster to write?  I can print in block a lot faster than I can write in cursive, especially if that cursive is to be legible by anyone other than me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2011, 10:29:47 AM
Cursive is faster to write?  I can print in block a lot faster than I can write in cursive, especially if that cursive is to be legible by anyone other than me.
Indeed. I went back to block when I was 18 and never looked back.

I would like to point out that I have never seen CdM's cursive, yet he seems unique enough.

HVC

Quote from: Maximus on July 08, 2011, 10:48:35 AM

I would like to point out that I have never seen CdM's cursive, yet he seems unique enough.
Uh oh, you're wife is going to take you out back and beat you... and not in the good way :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

:blink:

Seriously?  There are people who never write in cursive?

Law is still seriously paper-bound, and I use cursive constantly.  I can't imagine using block letters.  Now my writing isn't very good, but at least its fast and mostly legible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 11:00:39 AM

Seriously?  You are just now finding this out?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Arvoreen

I haven't used cursive since I was forced to learn it back in 3rd & 4th grade.  Even by the time I got to middle school, my notes & writing assignments were in block letters....for speed and for legibility....and that was more than 25 years ago now.

I'm not even sure if my kids were taught cursive to be honest, and the youngest is already in middle school now.

Barrister

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 11:10:09 AM

Must be cultural. I might hate cursive but my hand writing in an hybrid mess of cursive & block. I could never write only in Block.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 11:15:07 AM

Must be cultural. I might hate cursive but my hand writing in an hybrid mess of cursive & block. I could never write only in Block.

I guess a lot of Americans dont write in cursive.  I am as surprised as you and BB.

11B4V

Quote from: Maximus on July 08, 2011, 10:48:35 AM

Glad to see there's more non cursive people out there.

Block here
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2011, 11:16:44 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 11:15:07 AM

I guess a lot of Americans dont write in cursive.  I am as surprised as you and BB.

Except Neil and Max aren't Americans.

Agelastus

This is starting to feel like a "divided by a common language issue", given the general trend seems to be USA = Block, Commonwealth (and ex-Commmonwealth) = Cursive.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Habbaku

I used to write entirely in cursive.  From ~3rd grade until my sophomore year in high school, I used nothing but.  Then I switched to block and never reverted, save for my signature.  I still recall how to write in it, though...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Law is still seriously paper-bound, and I use cursive constantly.  I can't imagine using block letters.  Now my writing isn't very good, but at least its fast and mostly legible.
It's pretty simple, really.  Most of the written things I encounter are written in block, although given you and CC, perhaps it might be a lawyer thing.  Just to make you guys a little more cultish.

As for Grey Fox, he's mostly illiterate anyways, so probably doesn't have the chance to write very often.  'Keske' my ass.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Qu'est-ce?

It's funny, I've never written "Keske", I've typed it often but if I'm writing I'll write it properly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.