Reason #2,103 to mock America's education system

Started by CountDeMoney, July 07, 2011, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I could never read cursive, even my own.  Bear in mind that I can read Cyrillic* and Greek, so I'm pretty sure it's cursive's fault.

*Cyrillic cursive belongs in gulag.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2011, 01:05:11 AM
Here one would get smacked down if whoever was the test reviewer couldn't read the handwriting.

Still do. My son, Jeremy, nearly failed history and English. Not because he didn't understand the work, but because his teachers couldn't read his answers. It was finally decided that he be allowed to type his answers on all assignments.

Schools still use hand-written work a lot, so it seems odd that they're going to drop cursive. It's useful, easier to read when done well, and easier to do well than block letters (for me, anyway). So I guess I'm with Seedy.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on July 07, 2011, 08:30:35 PM
ipicture him posting in a fedora. not sure if it's accurate, but that's how i see it lol.

That and impeccably manicured hands. but that because i know he gets manicures... which is off putting in its own right.

Seedy is Truman Capote. :lol:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2011, 06:45:47 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 08, 2011, 06:31:32 AM
So I guess I'm with Seedy.

At least someone else here has a little taste.  <_<

You should do an experiment. Everything you write, write it in cursive. All memos, emails, etc. See how long it takes until someone tells you it isn't the 18th century anymore.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Agelastus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2011, 06:45:47 AM
So I guess I'm with Seedy.

At least someone else here has a little taste.  <_<

Hey, I thought it was clear from my post that I was with you too.

People write faster using cursive; I shudder to think how I would have managed to write four essays in three hours for History exams without it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

When I was at school, 'joined-up writing' was regarded as the correct way; printing your letters was seen as immature.  As mono has mentioned I found cursive the fastest way to get down all you wanted to say in an exam.

I hardly write anything nowadays and if I do, it's an abomination of printed and occasional cursive scrawl.  :Embarrass:   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 06:11:46 AM
I could never read cursive, even my own.  Bear in mind that I can read Cyrillic* and Greek, so I'm pretty sure it's cursive's fault.

I am quite sure who's fault it is that you cannot read.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

easier to read when done well,
Go take a look at the nearest book to hand.  Is it printed in cursive, or block letters?  If in block letters, do you think books eschew cursive in spite of the fact that it is "easier to read?"

Cursive is faster to write but harder to read.  Typing is faster and easier than either. Typing wins.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 07:32:11 AM
easier to read when done well,
Go take a look at the nearest book to hand.  Is it printed in cursive, or block letters?  If in block letters, do you think books eschew cursive in spite of the fact that it is "easier to read?"

Cursive is faster to write but harder to read.  Typing is faster and easier than either. Typing wins.

Sorry. I should have specified. Cursive is easier for me to read, as in I prefer it, and it's easier on the eye - FOR ME.

Given that school assignments cannot all be done via typing, it doesn't make sense to not teach cursive. As you said, it's faster to write. And - again, FOR ME - prettier to read when done right.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

KRonn

Interesting thread. I never thought about cursive one way or the other. Kind of figured it was here to stay, not something to phase out. I use it all the time, though usually mixed with block letters. But I can see the point - it's often a pain to read, often unreadable in signatures. So, if cursive is phased out will people sign documents with block letters? At least that would make sigs readable!

HVC

Signatures often look barely like cursive anyway.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 07:26:22 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 06:11:46 AM

I am quite sure who's fault it is that you cannot read.

How droll. :rolleyes:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)