Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 11:37:51 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2011, 11:16:44 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 11:15:07 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 11:10:09 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 11:00:39 AM

:blink:

Seriously?  There are people who never write in cursive?

Seriously?  You are just now finding this out?

Must be cultural. I might hate cursive but my hand writing in an hybrid mess of cursive & block. I could never write only in Block.

I guess a lot of Americans dont write in cursive.  I am as surprised as you and BB.

Except Neil and Max aren't Americans.
harumph!

The only people i see regularly writing in cursive are docters, but no one can read their writing anyway.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Capetan Mihali

I use proper cursive pretty often, and pseudo-cursive is my default. 

One summer in high school I decided that my printed handwriting looked too childish, so I consciously trained myself to use cursive.  I wrote tests and essays with it during high school, and nobody complained about the legibility, even though I used to have atrocious handwriting as a kid.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 11:42:48 AM
Qu'est-ce?

It's funny, I've never written "Keske", I've typed it often but if I'm writing I'll write it properly.
And yet it's become an integral part of your Languish personna, as much as moving back to Quebec because you missed your dad's Wii, being angry about getting mixed up with Gen. Wolfe and being the last native Languishite.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Must be cultural. I might hate cursive but my hand writing in an hybrid mess of cursive & block. I could never write only in Block.
And there is no one you know of who eschews cursive?  I am astonished.  I have known non-cursive-users in every country I have lived in or visited for any length of time.

I am not so surprised that Canadians use cursive.  I am surprised that they didn't even realize that there are people who don't.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 11:37:51 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2011, 11:16:44 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 11:10:09 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 11:00:39 AM

Seriously?  There are people who never write in cursive?

Seriously?  You are just now finding this out?

I guess a lot of Americans dont write in cursive.  I am as surprised as you and BB.

Except Neil and Max aren't Americans.

Neil is always the exception.  You have to remember he is more Texan then anything and Max is the exception that proves the rule in this case.

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 08, 2011, 12:07:48 PM
I use proper cursive pretty often, and pseudo-cursive is my default. 

One summer in high school I decided that my printed handwriting looked too childish, so I consciously trained myself to use cursive.  I wrote tests and essays with it during high school, and nobody complained about the legibility, even though I used to have atrocious handwriting as a kid.
Cursive does require a lot of practice, but is perfectly legible given that practice.  Bad cursive is much worse than bad block letters, though.  As a teacher I have seen plenty of both.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2011, 01:11:17 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 11:42:48 AM
Qu'est-ce?

It's funny, I've never written "Keske", I've typed it often but if I'm writing I'll write it properly.
And yet it's become an integral part of your Languish personna, as much as moving back to Quebec because you missed your dad's Wii, being angry about getting mixed up with Gen. Wolfe and being the last native Languishite.

:lol:

Fighting it at every turn is also part of the personna.

Am I really the last?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 01:16:39 PM
I am not so surprised that Canadians use cursive.  I am surprised that they didn't even realize that there are people who don't.

I am not surprised that you are not suprised that we are surprised but I am surprised by the reason you give for not being surprised that we are surprised.

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 01:16:39 PM
And there is no one you know of who eschews cursive?  I am astonished.  I have known non-cursive-users in every country I have lived in or visited for any length of time.

Adults? Not really, not anyone I can recall. I'll have to investigate.

Maybe my sister, I haven't seen her handwriting in years. However she left school in grade 8.

Also, I don't know if they still require cursive in Quebec schools after grade 2. I'll have to investigate that too.

Sometimes, even us are a bunch of provincials, it's not the exclusive domain of Tyr.

ulmont

Every time I see this thread I expect it to be about the Atlanta public school cheating scandal.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 01:23:19 PM

Maybe my sister, I haven't seen her handwriting in years. However she left school in grade 8.
is that even legal?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

grumbler

Adults? Not really, not anyone I can recall. I'll have to investigate.

Also, I don't know if they still require cursive in Quebec schools after grade 2. I'll have to investigate that too.

Sometimes, even us are a bunch of provincials, it's not the exclusive domain of Tyr.
Nothing provincial about it, per se.  It would be natural that you would assume other people are like you, unless they demonstrate that they are different.  I am just surprised that I knew more about Canadian use of block letters for writing than BB and you did.  That says nothing more than it says about either you guys or me.

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2011, 01:27:06 PM

is that even legal?

Don't think so, no. She probably regrets it deeply too. She's 25 now & still miling on her high school diploma.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 01:33:25 PM

is that even legal?

Don't think so, no. She probably regrets it deeply too. She's 25 now & still miling on her high school diploma.
is she hot at least? the could go a long way :lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2011, 01:34:41 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 01:33:25 PM

is that even legal?

is she hot at least? the could go a long way :lol:

Yes. Well she was, I haven't seen her in a couple of years too. I'm a bad brother.