Chavez's gift to Obama swiftly becomes best-seller

Started by garbon, April 19, 2009, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

QuotePORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad – A book by an Uruguayan journalist that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez gave to President Barack Obama is now the No. 5 seller on [url="//amazon.com"]Amazon.com[/url].

It's an astounding jump for "Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent," by Uruguayan journalist Eduardo Galeano.

The paperback edition was ranked 54,295 on the online retailer before Chavez gave Obama a Spanish-language edition of the 1971 book on Saturday. It had jumped to No. 5 by Sunday.

The English hardcover edition is listed as out of print.

Galeano's book documents how foreign interests have dominated and afflicted Latin America since the Spanish conquest. It's a favorite among leftists.

:bleeding:

I did like this though:
QuoteAn aide to Mr. Obama later suggested the U.S. president was unlikely to read the book, given that it was written in Spanish.
:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Can Obama speak or read any foreign languages?  Surprised he doesn't know Spanish to be honest.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

From wiki:

QuoteBesides his native English, Obama speaks Indonesian at the conversational level, which he learned during his four childhood years in Jakarta.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Whoa. A president who supposedly had some edumacation doesn't even fully speak 2+ languages?

FAIL
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on April 19, 2009, 01:02:07 PM
Can Obama speak or read any foreign languages?  Surprised he doesn't know Spanish to be honest.

Well Spanish is widely known among people who live in Hawaii and Chicago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Indonesian? Great.

Merkel: Barack, how about this new arms deal?

Obama: WINDJAMMER ORGASM!

Merkel: Excuse me?

Obama: FOOT TWIST CATAMARAN!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2009, 01:22:55 PM

It'd be useful as a community organizer in Chicago, though obviously the South Side around Hyde Park isn't the most Hispanic part of the city.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2009, 01:25:07 PM
Indonesian? Great.

:w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 19, 2009, 01:25:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2009, 01:22:55 PM

It'd be useful as a community organizer in Chicago, though obviously the South Side around Hyde Park isn't the most Hispanic part of the city.
Only if you were interested in non-blacks, which Obama obviously wasn't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Brain on April 19, 2009, 01:32:06 PM
Indonesian? Great.

:w00t:

:lmfao: :lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Indonesian? Great.

:lmfao: Awesome!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Considering the content of the book, was this a gift or another way of giving us the middle finger?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Viking

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2009, 01:04:42 PM
From wiki:

QuoteBesides his native English, Obama speaks Indonesian at the conversational level, which he learned during his four childhood years in Jakarta.

We need bmollson here to tell you the language is called Bahasa.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2009, 08:14:26 PM
Considering the content of the book, was this a gift or another way of giving us the middle finger?

Well considering that not so long ago he called Obama "A poor ignoramus," I think it is pretty much a slam dunk.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 19, 2009, 08:16:22 PM
We need bmollson here to tell you the language is called Bahasa.

It isn't in English.