Chavez's gift to Obama swiftly becomes best-seller

Started by garbon, April 19, 2009, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Savonarola on April 19, 2009, 09:56:56 PM
"The Wealth of Nations" would have been a poor reciprocal since it is well written and well thought out; unlike the book Barack got.  Obama should have given him "Atlas Shrugged", instead.
Well-written?  Maybe by 18th century standards.  Do you ever wonder why 75% of the "Wealth of Nations" quotes are about the butcher and his lack of benevolence?  It's because this example appears almost at the very beginning of the book.

Savonarola

Quote from: DGuller on April 20, 2009, 10:51:14 AM

Well-written?  Maybe by 18th century standards.  Do you ever wonder why 75% of the "Wealth of Nations" quotes are about the butcher and his lack of benevolence?  It's because this example appears almost at the very beginning of the book.

I found it clear and easy to understand.  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

charliebear

Quote from: Savonarola on April 20, 2009, 11:00:45 AM

Of course you did.   :hug:

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2009, 08:36:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2009, 08:34:26 PM
Barack is right, and thankfully he is less confrontational than I am.

I don't think he is right in this instance.  We've nothing to gain from Chavez.

You're surpisingly unsophisticated on this.  Being less than confrontational towards Chavez is not necessarily motivated by gaining anything from him; it could well cause gains in other areas (for example with other Latin American nations who take a dim view of blustery US diplomacy in the area).

Neil

Who are the two Americans that seem to be able to evangelize books amongst the terrible, ignorant, semi-literate masses?

Oprah and Obama.

White culture has been defeated. :cry:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2009, 01:22:15 PM
You're surpisingly unsophisticated on this.  Being less than confrontational towards Chavez is not necessarily motivated by gaining anything from him; it could well cause gains in other areas (for example with other Latin American nations who take a dim view of blustery US diplomacy in the area).

The last time we had an ambassador in Venezuela, Chavez booted him citing that America was plotting to overthrow him.  What would prevent him from doing the same with a new ambassador (which would help him to rally supporters as it is easy to rally around an external threat)?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on April 20, 2009, 11:00:45 AM

Apparantly (and unsurprisingly),  your reading comprehension is better that DorseyGuller's.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on April 20, 2009, 01:34:28 PM
Apparantly (and unsurprisingly),  your reading comprehension is better that DorseyGuller's.
:unsure:

The Brain

Wealth of Nations sux. As all educated people know Swedish politician/economist/pastor Anders Chydenius wrote about the invisible hand (not using that term) years before Adam Faggot-Smith put pen to paper.

The National Gain, 1765. Note the title. Coinkidink?

http://www.chydenius.net/historia/teokset/e_kansallinen_johdanto.asp
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2009, 02:17:20 PM
Wealth of Nations sux. As all educated people know Swedish politician/economist/pastor Anders Chydenius wrote about the invisible hand (not using that term) years before Adam Faggot-Smith put pen to paper.

Maybe he should have published it in the West, in one of the two civilized languages, rather than in an adjunct of Russia.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2009, 02:25:40 PM

Maybe he should have published it in the West, in one of the two civilized languages, rather than in an adjunct of Russia.

Your Troll Fu is weak. :console:

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2009, 02:27:34 PM

And your country is bad at hockey.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2009, 02:31:10 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2009, 02:27:34 PM

And your country is bad at hockey.

:yes: Especially regular.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2009, 01:22:15 PM

Where you think garbon is unsophisticated, I think you're naive.  I doubt the buddy-buddy approach with Chavez in particular and vague apologies in general is going to achieve anything for the U.S. in Latin America.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2009, 02:48:13 PM
Where you think garbon is unsophisticated, I think you're naive.  I doubt the buddy-buddy approach with Chavez in particular and vague apologies in general is going to achieve anything for the U.S. in Latin America.

I think you are moving the goal posts a bit.  There is a difference between saying those things might not hurt or might be helpful under certain contexts with saying that those things are going to achieve anything.  Actual policies of cooperation will do something not gestures, I doubt anybody feels differently.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."