Chavez's gift to Obama swiftly becomes best-seller

Started by garbon, April 19, 2009, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2009, 08:20:00 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2009, 08:14:26 PM
Considering the content of the book, was this a gift or another way of giving us the middle finger?

Well considering that not so long ago he called Obama "A poor ignoramus," I think it is pretty much a slam dunk.

The administration seems to be treating it as an actual gift, which is diplomacy I suppose, but it would be nice if we gave Chavez "The Essential Toby Keith" as a similar "gift."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2009, 08:24:16 PM
The administration seems to be treating it as an actual gift, which is diplomacy I suppose, but it would be nice if we gave Chavez "The Essential Toby Keith" as a similar "gift."

That's because:
QuoteDefending his brand of world politics, President Barack Obama said Sunday that he "strengthens our hand" by reaching out to enemies of the United States and making sure that the nation is a leader, not a lecturer, of democracy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090420/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cb_obama_summit
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

The inability of the forum software to break long URLs is irritating.

The fact that a certain poster insists on using yahoo as a news source is even worse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2009, 08:25:50 PM

That's because:
QuoteDefending his brand of world politics, President Barack Obama said Sunday that he "strengthens our hand" by reaching out to enemies of the United States and making sure that the nation is a leader, not a lecturer, of democracy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090420/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cb_obama_summit

Barack is right, and thankfully he is less confrontational than I am.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2009, 08:29:08 PM
The inability of the forum software to break long URLs is irritating.

The fact that a certain poster insists on using yahoo as a news source is even worse.

I fixed it. I realized that yahoo is just adding on a lot of crap. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2009, 08:34:26 PM

I don't think he is right in this instance.  We've nothing to gain from Chavez.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2009, 08:36:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2009, 08:34:26 PM

I don't think he is right in this instance.  We've nothing to gain from Chavez.

If Chavez can't portray himself as in a cold war with the United States, all he becomes is a blowhard in charge of a failing country. That won't help him at home, or help him export his "revolution."

We do have an interest in the success of Latin America and having friendly relations there, and Chavez isn't helping us in either regard.

dps

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2009, 08:20:00 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2009, 08:14:26 PM
Considering the content of the book, was this a gift or another way of giving us the middle finger?

Well considering that not so long ago he called Obama "A poor ignoramus," I think it is pretty much a slam dunk.

How about "The Wealth of Nations"? 

Siege

Quote from: Queequeg on April 19, 2009, 01:02:07 PM
Can Obama speak or read any foreign languages?  Surprised he doesn't know Spanish to be honest.

He doesn't need to.

The only languages you need in this world are english and hebrew.

And since he is not jewish, english is all he needs.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on April 19, 2009, 08:47:50 PM
Can Obama speak or read any foreign languages?  Surprised he doesn't know Spanish to be honest.

He doesn't need to.

Why Hebrew?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on April 19, 2009, 08:42:32 PM
If Chavez can't portray himself as in a cold war with the United States, all he becomes is a blowhard in charge of a failing country. That won't help him at home, or help him export his "revolution."

We do have an interest in the success of Latin America and having friendly relations there, and Chavez isn't helping us in either regard.

He can just spin it that we're now extra devious as we are willing to say kind things but don't really mean them.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2009, 08:50:40 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 19, 2009, 08:47:50 PM

He doesn't need to.

Why Hebrew?

Because you don't understand it, barbarian.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on April 19, 2009, 09:00:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2009, 08:50:40 PM
Why Hebrew?
Because you don't understand it, barbarian.
Insufficient reasoning.  After all, Hebrew is completely irrelevant, spoken only by a tiny sect, many of whom are bilingual anyways.  It's doomed to disappear and be absorbed into the Anglosphere.

Savonarola

Quote from: dps on April 19, 2009, 08:42:48 PM

How about "The Wealth of Nations"?

"The Wealth of Nations" would have been a poor reciprocal since it is well written and well thought out; unlike the book Barack got.  Obama should have given him "Atlas Shrugged", instead.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

:P I like the Toby Keith idea. :brownnose:

Or maybe The Basics of Skin Care.