News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

White USAnians, who's the minority now?

Started by Brazen, June 24, 2011, 03:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 25, 2011, 03:10:13 PMAre you implying that in 100 years, we will all be grumbler?  :(

Nonsense, it has taken thousands of years for him to get that way.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

grumbler

Quote from: Strix on June 25, 2011, 03:29:06 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 25, 2011, 03:10:13 PMAre you implying that in 100 years, we will all be grumbler?  :(

Nonsense, it has taken thousands of years for him to get that way.
Exactly.  One cannot get this advanced in a mere century.  :showoff:

Everyone, carry on with your "one drop" nonsense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 25, 2011, 05:42:37 AM
I find the whole Hispanic thing weird.  They'll be considered a sub-group of white within a hundred years, just like the Italians and the Irish are now.

They certainly stretch our concepts of race and nationality.  We put these things into context as if the other minority groups have the sort of racial nationalistic conciousness the Black Americans do.  But the Latinos (and the other rapidly growing immigrant group the Asians) are divided into dozens of ethnic and national groups.  They are more likely to join the American Borg like the Euro immigrants before them then create a culture all their own like the Black Americans (and even in their case they created theirs mostly out of necessity).  So the whole 'minority majority' thing is not going to mean much.

I mean Texas is minority majority and nobody points to what an incredibly diverse culture we have.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 25, 2011, 02:16:53 PM
I find the whole Hispanic thing weird.  They'll be considered a sub-group of white within a hundred years, just like the Italians and the Irish are now.
I'm wondering if, in a hundred years, the concepts of "white" and "black" and "yellow" and "red" and whateverelse to describe people won't be laughed at as a silly concept.  I am laughing now.

Well we can always hope.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on June 24, 2011, 04:15:49 PM
Are there really grants specifically for asians or african-americans in the US? Do they ask for any sort of "proof"?

A pedigree showing pure Asian roots going back a thousand years!

Actually I think it is an honor system in most cases.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2011, 08:04:48 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 24, 2011, 04:15:49 PM
Are there really grants specifically for asians or african-americans in the US? Do they ask for any sort of "proof"?

A pedigree showing pure Asian roots going back a thousand years!

Actually I think it is an honor system in most cases.

I know that at one time, the requirement to get any of the set-asides for being Hispanic was to have a Spanish surname.  Which kind of screws someone who's 15/16 Spanish, but the 1/16 happens to be the person whose their surname came from.  OTOH, there was a guy who was an Anglo, a member of one of the FFVs (first families of Virginia) who legally changed his last name to Hernandez or something like that to qualify for a set-aside, and the courts sided with him and said that he qualified IIRC, so Congress changed the law rather quickly.

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2011, 02:28:26 PM

T'would make more sense to consider the majority of them a variant of Native American.

I think you are right.
The latinos descend from native americans from the spanish colonies that learned to speak their conquerors' language.
Majority of mexicans appear to have zero spanish genes, anyway.

I think you are right. Brown latinos should be considered native-americans, and white latinos a subgroup of caucasian.
And whoever is not happy, can call himself mixed race.
I'm pretty sure the majority of humankind are mixed race one way or another.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

I think you can choose Native American and Hispanic...if you choose to do so.

In any case races in the US are not based on genetic descent but self identification.  At least officially.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2011, 01:41:38 PM

In any case races in the US are not based on genetic descent but self identification.  At least officially.

Yeah, the way the census forms put it is that Hispanics can be of any race.

Slargos

The Brain

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 01:55:02 PM

...as long as it's black?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Siege on June 24, 2011, 07:17:22 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 24, 2011, 11:04:32 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2011, 10:44:58 AMI assume that you could claim hispanic heritage in the US.

The thought of claiming an ancestry is quite alien to me. Would that grant me any material advantages?

Ancentry is everything. It tells me from where you came and where you are going.

Not really. For the record among my surnames are at least two typical examples of converso family names, which means I likely have some Jewish or Muslim ancestry.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2011, 02:04:10 PM
Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 01:55:02 PM

...as long as it's black?

:lol:

Touché.

garbon

Although self-identification is certainly shaped by external factors. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2011, 03:05:28 PM
Although self-identification is certainly shaped by external factors. ^_^

Well yeah.  Though I did like your efforts to identify as Indian.