News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

White USAnians, who's the minority now?

Started by Brazen, June 24, 2011, 03:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2011, 10:16:54 AM
Much as I dislike for Tim to get off the hook, the answer is obviously to declare the lighter skinned Hispanics white; much like was done for Italians, Jews, Irish and various Slavs before them.

Sure, although the overwhelming majority of people in those groups you listed have Caucasian skin tones and features, which certainly makes deeming them "white" easier than peoples who are obviously Mestizos (which the vast majority of Hispanic immigrants are), etc.  But that may well come to pass, as you say.

Anyhow, I am not too concerned with people's skin colour, but culture is important.  Will such a large influx of immigrants be willing to carry on the values of democracy, personal liberties, etc. Luckily, North American history seems to suggest it won't be a problem with integrating large swathes of people of different cultures.  Hell, I've seen for myself how children of non-white immigrants born in Toronto (where a sizeable majority of the population are immigrants) seem to have almost no difficulty in becoming Canadianized and adopting Canadian values.  So, over all, it is probably a non-issue.

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 24, 2011, 05:04:21 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2011, 11:09:34 AMselling services to the government from a business you own

There is a significant benefit for winning government contracts. So much so that pretty much all the contractors I encounter try to find ways to become minority-owned businesses or veteran-owned or something. Anything that they can put on a business card. 

It's a common ploy for contractors to take a person with a Spanish surname as a business partner in order to qualify as a minority business in order to get some of the set-asides.

Siege

Quote from: Iormlund on June 24, 2011, 11:04:32 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2011, 10:44:58 AMI assume that you could claim hispanic heritage in the US.

The thought of claiming an ancestry is quite alien to me. Would that grant me any material advantages?

Ancentry is everything. It tells me from where you came and where you are going.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

It's a common ploy for contractors to take a person with a Spanish surname as a business partner in order to qualify as a minority business in order to get some of the set-asides.
That...is just messed up. Its not like all white people have private yachts and spend their weekends sipping fine wine and eating expensive caviar.
I hate race and gender based positive discrimination. It should just be wealth based and then it would accomplish much the same thing except be fairer.

Quote from: Siege on June 24, 2011, 07:17:22 PM
Ancentry is everything. It tells me from where you came and where you are going.
No it doesn't.
Snatch a baby from Africa and have an Irish family raise him and his ancestry counts for squat.
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Quote from: dps on June 24, 2011, 02:45:19 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on June 24, 2011, 07:17:34 AM
Hispanic may be too broad an ethnic label, but what % of Hispanics who come to the US are actually white?  Most of the time, it's pretty obvious someone is of Latin American origin.  The only Latin American I ever met who looked white was this Danish-Venezuelan girl of wealthy parentage who later joined Opus Dei.

Cameron Diaz.  Martin Sheen.  Christina Aguilara.

Alexis Bledel,

Bledel was born Kimberly Alexis Bledel in Houston, Texas. Her mother, Nanette (née Dozier), is Mexican, and her father, Martin Bledel, is an Argentine of Danish descent. She has a younger brother. Her first language is Spanish, and she did not learn English until she began school.

Sara Paxton

Paxton, an only child, was born in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles to what she has described as "a very mixed family."[2] Her father, Steve, is of Irish, Scottish, and English descent, and is distantly related to actor Bill Paxton. Her mother, Lucia, was born in Monterrey, Mexico and raised in Ciudad Acuña.[3][4][5][2] Paxton's mother is Jewish and Paxton's father converted to Judaism upon marrying her mother]/b].[6][7][8] Both her parents are dentists.[9]

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Ah yes. A Jew in Hollywood. That's a shocker.  :P

Sheilbh

I find the whole Hispanic thing weird.  They'll be considered a sub-group of white within a hundred years, just like the Italians and the Irish are now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 25, 2011, 05:42:37 AM
I find the whole Hispanic thing weird.  They'll be considered a sub-group of white within a hundred years, just like the Italians and the Irish are now.

That's already starting.  Some government and HR forms now ask the question of Hispanic origins separately from the question of "race".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I'm also curious to see how many people will start identifying themselves as mixed/multiple as that option continues to proliferate.

grumbler

I'm wondering if, in a hundred years, the concepts of "white" and "black" and "yellow" and "red" and whateverelse to describe people won't be laughed at as a silly concept.  I am laughing now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

T'would make more sense to consider the majority of them a variant of Native American.

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on June 25, 2011, 02:16:53 PM
I'm wondering if, in a hundred years, the concepts of "white" and "black" and "yellow" and "red" and whateverelse to describe people won't be laughed at as a silly concept.  I am laughing now.

Are you implying that in 100 years, we will all be grumbler?  :(

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 25, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Are you implying that in 100 years, we will all be grumbler?  :(

Well there's a terrifying, dystopian view of the future.