News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

White USAnians, who's the minority now?

Started by Brazen, June 24, 2011, 03:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2011, 07:53:10 AM
I don't know. Italians don't necessarily look whiter than many "non white" hispanics, but we consider them white in this country.

Italians have much the same range as Spaniards. But Spanish settlement in some parts of Latin America was a drop in the bucket next to the indigenous population.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2011, 10:16:54 AM
Much as I dislike for Tim to get off the hook, the answer is obviously to declare the lighter skinned Hispanics white; much like was done for Italians, Jews, Irish and various Slavs before them.
Caucasian Hispanics are part of the elite in their native countries, though. They are not likely to make up a major part of Latino immigrants.

The overwhelming majority of our Latinoamerican immigrants have distinct Amerindian features. The exception are those from Argentina who came during their last crisis and have markedly better education and jobs.

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on June 24, 2011, 10:35:00 AM
Caucasian Hispanics are part of the elite in their native countries, though. They are not likely to make up a major part of Latino immigrants.

The overwhelming majority of our Latinoamerican immigrants have distinct Amerindian features. The exception are those from Argentina who came during their last crisis and have markedly better education and jobs.

When Obama appointed a hispanic to the Supreme Court, the Republicans through a fit about her being described as the first hispanic on the court, because in the early 1900s some Republican apparently appointed a guy with Spanish heritage (he came to the US by way of the Netherlands or somewhere). I assume that you could claim hispanic heritage in the US.

There were a lot of Italian immigrants to the US that came by way of Argentina. I wonder if their descendants could qualify as hispanic?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2011, 10:44:58 AMI assume that you could claim hispanic heritage in the US.

The thought of claiming an ancestry is quite alien to me. Would that grant me any material advantages?

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on June 24, 2011, 11:04:32 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2011, 10:44:58 AMI assume that you could claim hispanic heritage in the US.

The thought of claiming an ancestry is quite alien to me. Would that grant me any material advantages?

I don't know all the ins and outs, but probably not. You could possibly benefit from affirmative action programs, but unless you are applying to a college or selling services to the government from a business you own, I doubt it would help you.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2011, 03:59:11 AM
Hispanic is a bullshit ethnic category.

When did nonAnglo-Saxon whites pass Anglo-Saxons? Nobody knows and nobody cares, it doesn't matter.

About 1910. 

dps

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on June 24, 2011, 07:17:34 AM
Hispanic may be too broad an ethnic label, but what % of Hispanics who come to the US are actually white?  Most of the time, it's pretty obvious someone is of Latin American origin.  The only Latin American I ever met who looked white was this Danish-Venezuelan girl of wealthy parentage who later joined Opus Dei.

Cameron Diaz.  Martin Sheen.  Christina Aguilara.

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2011, 10:44:58 AM

When Obama appointed a hispanic to the Supreme Court, the Republicans through a fit about her being described as the first hispanic on the court, because in the early 1900s some Republican apparently appointed a guy with Spanish heritage (he came to the US by way of the Netherlands or somewhere). I assume that you could claim hispanic heritage in the US.

I don't remember any controvery about it, but are you talking about Cardozo? 

Eddie Teach

Speaking of Cardozo's Spanish heritage, did Siege steal his own sunglasses?  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: Brazen on June 24, 2011, 03:18:35 AM
There's probably some grant you can apply for now.

Are there really grants specifically for asians or african-americans in the US? Do they ask for any sort of "proof"?

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on June 24, 2011, 04:15:49 PM
Quote from: Brazen on June 24, 2011, 03:18:35 AM
There's probably some grant you can apply for now.

Are there really grants specifically for asians or african-americans in the US? Do they ask for any sort of "proof"?

Talk to Dorsey.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Zoupa on June 24, 2011, 04:15:49 PM

Here are some I found:

United Negro College Fund
Hispanic College Fund
Bureau of Indian Affairs
American Indian College Fund

Source: http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/minority.htm

Example criteria of the Marriott Scholars Program, from the HCF page:

• Be of Hispanic/Latino heritage
  • Be U.S. citizen or permanent resident residing in the United States or Puerto Rico
  • Be an upcoming freshman or sophomore for the 2011-2012 school year
  • Plan to enroll as a full-time undergraduate student during the 2011-2012 school year in a hospitality management or culinary program.
  • Plan to pursue a degree within the hospitality management, hotel management, culinary, or food beverage field.
  • Have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on June 24, 2011, 10:35:00 AM

Except for those countries where the elites were/are the immigrants.  Cuba for sure, and maybe Venezuela.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2011, 11:09:34 AMselling services to the government from a business you own

There is a significant benefit for winning government contracts. So much so that pretty much all the contractors I encounter try to find ways to become minority-owned businesses or veteran-owned or something. Anything that they can put on a business card. 
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Camerus

Quote from: dps on June 24, 2011, 02:45:19 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on June 24, 2011, 07:17:34 AM
Hispanic may be too broad an ethnic label, but what % of Hispanics who come to the US are actually white?  Most of the time, it's pretty obvious someone is of Latin American origin.  The only Latin American I ever met who looked white was this Danish-Venezuelan girl of wealthy parentage who later joined Opus Dei.

Cameron Diaz.  Martin Sheen.  Christina Aguilara.

:hmm: