OOTP9: Vienna Cannibals in Major Languish Baseball(tm)

Started by Syt, April 19, 2009, 07:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Ok, now that everything is properly set up it's time to play for earnest. :P

The Major Languish Baseball franchise is a single league with 8 subdisivions of 4 teams each. During regular season one team plays every other 5 times, making 155 games.

An unpleasant surprise right at the start: Vienna has the shittiest market and smallest fanbase. Not to mention that our finances suck. Hence I moved the team focus at front office to "Rebuild" (instead of neutral or "Win now!").

By the way, the biggest team in the biz seem to be the Baltimore Irish:

Main problem is that I have no cash for extensions, and most players will be free to go after the season. I switch control over minor league affiliates (Attnang-Puchheim Switchbladed - AAA, Marchtrenk Wild - AA, Mattighofen Privateers - A, Engerwitzdorf Cowboys - SA, Schwaz Tractors - Rookies) to the AI for now. There's some potential in those teams, but they need to hone their skills.

My roster isn't too bad, but as said I will have a hard time keeping any of these players (OVR is the overall rating, POT the potential):

Starting rotation will be:
Yi
Shi
Suharto
Davis
Munos

Batting Line up:
Rogers
Yang
Yates
Sandell
Deleón
Salvenmoser
Graziadei
Cruz

Sandell and Yates performed exceptionally in spring training; Sandell led the RBI ratings, Yates the scored runs. No players were hurt in training, so there's that at least.

Our first series will be three matches against the Arizona Golden Eagles:

We play at home at the Vienna Food Court.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

We won the first match against Arizona, but it was close. Also, it bothered me that my starter was exhausted after the 5th inning.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on April 19, 2009, 08:53:37 AM
We won the first match against Arizona, but it was close. Also, it bothered me that my starter was exhausted after the 5th inning.

Is PI pitches? Because a starter should be able to throw 100, being pulled after 69 is ridiculous. Was he hurt and missed some of spring training?

Attendance looked good, but it's opening day.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2009, 09:27:55 AM
Is PI pitches? Because a starter should be able to throw 100, being pulled after 69 is ridiculous. Was he hurt and missed some of spring training?
Maybe I'm a bit too squeamish with my starters. I usually check when they return to the mound if they're tired or exhausted. Though it appears that even if they pitch in "exhausted" state they can recover. I guess I should visit the mound more often to check on them and hear what they say themselves.

QuoteAttendance looked good, but it's opening day.

Indeed - see attendance in game 2 by comparison.

I'm also too tempted to try and steal bases with my fast runners as seen by "Caught Stealing" stats.  -_-

I need to move up Salvenmoser up in the line up.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Another close one.

Deleón had his hand fractured in the 2nd, he'll be out for 4 or 5 weeks.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Looking good, you're undefeated so far.

Too bad about the right fielder though.

Your attendance is good, if you were in a really bad market you'd be drawing less than 20k
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2009, 10:50:44 AM
Looking good, you're undefeated so far.

Doesn't count for much yet, though, as I've only faced one team so far. First series is through, and next we'll play at Budapest. They're at 1-2 after their first series at Warsaw.

I will post league stats/standings every 10 games, I guess.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

How much control do you have for match day tactics?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Quote from: Viking on April 19, 2009, 11:15:25 AM
How much control do you have for match day tactics?

Pretty much as much as you like, with one exception: you can't tell your pitchers which kind of pitch to use. You can give very elaborate AI directions for game situations (9 differentiations: tie, 1 run behind, 2 behind, 3 behind, 4+ behind; 1 run ahead, 2 ahead, 3 ahead, 4+ ahead), and inning (1-3, 4-6, 7&8, 9+). So you can decide what behavior the AI shall use when you're trailing 3 runs in the middle innings. Those can further be tweaked for players. The manual explains it better:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp9/index.php?page=overall_strategy
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp9/index.php?page=player_strategy

I don't use strategy; instead I go play by play, the options for which are here:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp9/index.php?page=game_controls

I do use the lineups, though, where you set your team depending on whether you face righty or lefty pitchers etc. and the depth chart:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp9/index.php?page=lineups_depth_charts

(You can also have the AI take over offense, or defense, or substitutions, or all and just watch play by play).

The results of Day 4:

I lost to the Hackers, even though I did catch up in hits towards the end.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Day 5 results. With our worst pitchers facing off, the match against Budapest was a bit of a slugfest, but the Cannibals came out on top.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Another loss against the Hackers.  <_<

The Kentucky Legionaires are the only unbeaten team right now at 6-0. The Jakarta Blades, on the other hand, are the only team without a victory.

—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on April 19, 2009, 12:54:08 PM
The Jakarta Blades, on the other hand, are the only team without a victory.

Somehow that's very appropriate! :lol:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2009, 01:20:08 PM
2 wins & a lost. Not bad.

6-1, actually. That gives you the #2 wildcard spot at the moment. Kentucky and Jakarta continue their series:

First match against the Barristers was very close:
—Stephen Jay Gould