Denmark to reinstate border controls to Germany, Sweden

Started by Syt, May 11, 2011, 10:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

chipwich

Where is the European Shay's rebellion going to happen?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Liep

This is turning out to be way more entertaining than it should be. Nazicards are being pulled left and right, disgraced politicians make worthy comebacks only to be disgraced again, and our foreign minister proves herself incompentent again.

Go Denmark!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martim Silva

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 13, 2011, 04:28:13 PM
State to state? No papers?

Interestingly enough, that was the natural state of things until WWI. Before 1914, nobody needed any papers to go and live wherever they wanted to; the whole idea of controlling peoples' movements just seemed silly. Only diplomats and people who needed safe passage for one reason or another were issued with proper papers.

The massification of passports became a reality almost overnight in August 1914, when people suddenly saw themselves in need to prove which nationality they were, in a Continent which became suddenly *very* paranoid about infiltrated spies. It became madness, with passports of one nation being issued by other nations.

(there are some funny stories in the Imperial War Museum about US consulates issuing ad hoc passports to British citizens in Germany on the first days of August to prove that the people were Subjects of the King).

So, we're just going back to the old days. The reality is that the "big novelty" of the EU is... getting us back to pre-1914 ways.

Valmy

Quote from: Martim Silva on June 21, 2011, 07:06:20 AM
getting us back to pre-1914 ways.

No wonder Otto von Habsburg was so keen on the project.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2011, 02:31:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2011, 02:27:04 AM
Quote from: Zanza2 on May 12, 2011, 01:57:32 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 11, 2011, 10:28:18 PM
Just a question.  Can the EU force it's members to follow the treaties they signed?  More broadly, how does the EU enforce any of it's laws?
The EU is built on consensus and is composed of sovereign states. If a country stops complying the worst that can happen is that the ECJ or EC fine the respective country (by withholding EU funds).

That doesn't seem very effective, and could open itself to abuse (wealthy countries flaunting the rule and such).  I admit, I don't understand the EU that well.

Well, what happens if a US state passes law that is contrary to the US constitution and the law is declared invalid by the Supreme Court, but the US state continues to enforce it? Does the US President send in the National Guard?

Yes, if necessary.

But that is an apples and oranges comparison, I think. The EU is not at all analogous to the US in its level of power/responsibilities/relationship with respects to member EU nations and US states.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2011, 11:53:14 AM
Quote from: Slargos on May 12, 2011, 11:11:15 AM
Argumentum ad populum?

Really?

Weak.
Agreed, so stop making them.  :showoff:
Huh? :huh:
Argumentum ad Populum (popular appeal or appeal to the majority): The fallacy of attempting to win popular assent to a conclusion by arousing the feeling and enthusiasms of the multitude.  There are several variations of this fallacy, but we will emphasize two forms.
"Snob Appeal":  the fallacy of attempting to prove a conclusion by appealing to what an elite or a select few (but not necessarily an authority) in a society thinks or believes.
(There are many non-fallacious appeals in style, fashion, and politics--since in these areas the appeal is not irrelevant.)
Person L says statement p or argument A.
Person L is in the elite.
Statement p is true or argument A is good.

"Bandwagon": the fallacy of attempting to prove a conclusion on the grounds that all or most people think or believe it is true.
Most, many, or all persons believe statement p is true.
Statement p is true.

Ah...Ha. :huh:

This Thread= :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on June 21, 2011, 05:45:53 AM
This is turning out to be way more entertaining than it should be. Nazicards are being pulled left and right, disgraced politicians make worthy comebacks only to be disgraced again, and our foreign minister proves herself incompentent again.

Go Denmark!

What happened?

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Jacob on June 21, 2011, 04:36:04 PM
Quote from: Liep on June 21, 2011, 05:45:53 AM

Go Denmark!

What happened?

Well, the original political deal somehow along the way went from increased border/custom control to full border control with the Danish peoples party (DF) claiming all the credit. The German interior minister throws a hissy fit and plays the nazi card, DF plays it back claiming that Germany still wants to control its neighbors, this time through a federal Europe...

Various professional and some not so professional experts denounce the Danish government, saying that the agreement is against the Schengen agreement. Some these experts can't quite resist some name calling and political backlash ensue, with question about the role and neutrality of these experts, with counter claims of political gag orders...

At the same time, do some political backbenchers withdraw their support for the whole deal, only reinstate their support after some shady deals, that in reality amounts to a whole lot of nothing...

And last but not least, does it turn out that our foreign minister haven't really bothered to try and explain the whole deal for our neighbors, leaving this part of the job to some incompetent public officials, somehow can't make a German translation of the deal, with making a mess of it all, apparently. All this of course leads back to why the German interior minister did throw his hissy fit in the first place...         
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

garbon

Shouldn't Germans be more careful about playing the Nazi card on other nations?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2011, 08:48:53 AM

As I read it the Germans only pulled a nationalism card to which the DPP responded, "shouldn't Germans be more careful about playing the Nazi card on other nations?"
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Lol, the Germans are just mad they didn't slam the door on the Turks a long time ago.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Liep on June 22, 2011, 09:01:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2011, 08:48:53 AM

As I read it the Germans only pulled a nationalism card to which the DPP responded, "shouldn't Germans be more careful about playing the Nazi card on other nations?"

Well, the German interior minister did make a reference to "the kind of nationalism, that in his country's name did bring Europe indescribable suffering"...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on June 21, 2011, 11:06:24 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2011, 11:53:14 AM
Quote from: Slargos on May 12, 2011, 11:11:15 AM
Argumentum ad populum?

Really?

Weak.
Agreed, so stop making them.  :showoff:
Huh? :huh:
Argumentum ad Populum (popular appeal or appeal to the majority): The fallacy of attempting to win popular assent to a conclusion by arousing the feeling and enthusiasms of the multitude.  There are several variations of this fallacy, but we will emphasize two forms.
"Snob Appeal":  the fallacy of attempting to prove a conclusion by appealing to what an elite or a select few (but not necessarily an authority) in a society thinks or believes.
(There are many non-fallacious appeals in style, fashion, and politics--since in these areas the appeal is not irrelevant.)
Person L says statement p or argument A.
Person L is in the elite.
Statement p is true or argument A is good.

"Bandwagon": the fallacy of attempting to prove a conclusion on the grounds that all or most people think or believe it is true.
Most, many, or all persons believe statement p is true.
Statement p is true.

Ah...Ha. :huh:

This Thread= :lmfao:
Argumentum ad Populum is weak.  That is what Sluggo said, that's what I said, and that's what your source said.  How could you still be  :huh: at that assertion after seeing all the supporting evidence?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!