Denmark to reinstate border controls to Germany, Sweden

Started by Syt, May 11, 2011, 10:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: dps on May 12, 2011, 11:38:44 AM
Quote from: Norgy on May 12, 2011, 11:07:25 AM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on May 12, 2011, 08:14:27 AM

No, Denmark isnt about to reinstate border control, we are about to strengthening our custom service

Face it, Denmark = little fascist piglets.  :mad:

Oh, come on.  All you Scandies, as much as you try to pretend to be typical Commie Euroweenines, are closet Nazis.  Except Slargos, no closet there.  And Hortlund, but he doesn't count 'cause he doesn't post here anymore.

:sleep:

The Brain

Quote from: dps on May 12, 2011, 11:38:44 AM
Quote from: Norgy on May 12, 2011, 11:07:25 AM

No, Denmark isnt about to reinstate border control, we are about to strengthening our custom service

Face it, Denmark = little fascist piglets.  :mad:

Oh, come on.  All you Scandies, as much as you try to pretend to be typical Commie Euroweenines, are closet Nazis.  Except Slargos, no closet there.  And Hortlund, but he doesn't count 'cause he doesn't post here anymore.

America is stupid and fat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2011, 08:00:08 AM
Quote from: Liep on May 12, 2011, 07:57:22 AM
Germany will likely lose a lot of border sales, as Danes now have to explain how 100 cases of beer and 2000 packs of cigarettes can be considered "personal use".
They're Danes. They'll manage.

Otherwise, it's the death knell for Flensburg/Flensborg. Danes can't allow the death of cheap shopping ;) Things will return to normal after a while.

Zanza2

I hope our governments don't sacrifice something as hugely successful as Schengen just to make a few cheap populist points. That would be really sad.

Josquius

Quote from: Slargos on May 12, 2011, 08:27:27 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2011, 05:17:58 AM
Wait, what?
Germany fair enough, Danes have a historic paranoia of Germans. Do they still have those laws about foreigners owning houses to stop Germans buying everything?
But Sweden?- what about the development of the united Oresund city folk like talking about? Lots of people living on one side and working on the other I hear.

:lol:

The "Swedish" side is not only strictly Swedish these days, you know.  :lol:

I am reminded of the interview with a muslim woman where she gushes that "I love living in Malmö, it feels almost like an arabic city."
:rolleyes:
I believe they're still a minority (30% foreign born apparently) and so what? Doesn't change what I said.
██████
██████
██████

Cecil

If I lived next to Malmöstan I´d want some border controls too.

Slargos

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2011, 02:08:19 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 12, 2011, 08:27:27 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2011, 05:17:58 AM
Wait, what?
Germany fair enough, Danes have a historic paranoia of Germans. Do they still have those laws about foreigners owning houses to stop Germans buying everything?
But Sweden?- what about the development of the united Oresund city folk like talking about? Lots of people living on one side and working on the other I hear.

:lol:

The "Swedish" side is not only strictly Swedish these days, you know.  :lol:

I am reminded of the interview with a muslim woman where she gushes that "I love living in Malmö, it feels almost like an arabic city."
I believe they're still a minority (30% foreign born apparently) and so what? Doesn't change what I said.

If you need it explained, odds are you won't understand.  :D

bogh

My 2 ører;

This will have zero practical effect. Borders won't be closed, nor will it stem the alleged tide of criminals. It's purely symbolic, populist nonsense. I'd wish our politcians would spend their time on something a little more substantial...

Liep

Quote from: bogh on May 12, 2011, 04:28:36 PMI'd wish our politcians would spend their time on something a little more substantial...
You know that won't happen this close to an election.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Reinstate border control in Denmark??. As usual when it comes to danish matters does the outside world misunderstand what is going on, I wonder if it's on purpose or that foreign journalists just are that stupid... :rolleyes:

No, Denmark isnt about to reinstate border control, we are about to strengthening our custom service, in order to better combat cross border crime. This will mean extra man power to custom service and a more permanent present at the borders, including scanners to scan whole vehicles for illegal goods. The special police units that patrols the border areas, dealing with  illegal drugs and people smuggling, will also get more resources...

The goal is to bring the danish custom service up on the same level as the Swedish custom service. As a matter of fact the Swedish custom service have 300 officers in southern Sweden alone, mainly dealing with traffic coming from Denmark. While the danish custom service only have 185 officers deal with the whole country, including the borders, airports and ports...

At worse will ordinary travelers have endure an extra change of being subjected a random spot check at the danish border...     

Well, that does sound a little less crazy.

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on May 12, 2011, 09:06:14 AM
Reinstate border control in Denmark??. As usual when it comes to danish matters does the outside world misunderstand what is going on, I wonder if it's on purpose or that foreign journalists just are that stupid... :rolleyes:

It's DPP's fault with their retorics and talks about control at the borders.

E.g.

That's a funny looking border. It looks like they ceded the islands and a good chunk of Southern Jutland to the Germans.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2011, 02:08:19 PM

Foreign born means Arab?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martim Silva

Quote from: Razgovory on May 11, 2011, 10:28:18 PM
Just a question.  Can the EU force it's members to follow the treaties they signed?  More broadly, how does the EU enforce any of it's laws?

Allow me to complicate matters further: the Schengen Agreement is not EU-exclusive. They are between European nations, but not just EU countries. Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, for example, are Schengen area countries.

While the UK, Romenia and Bulgaria are not part of the Schengen area, despite being part of the EU.

That said, this move is hardly just populist. It is meant to fight off dangerous alien immigration and does not affect real Europeans at all. IIRC, most Danish parties support something like this, and I think the Swedish government also nodded its agreement.

I myself do not approve, however, of such unilateral actions and preferred that controls remained as they are, just made more efficient within the Union. They should pass by the higher instances in the EU and not by the member states, which is what was decided today by the EU Interior ministers.

(as you can guess, Europe is having a bit of an argument between states' rights and its central government. I fear this may escalate as we integrate deeper into one nation)