Main Menu

White USAnians, who's the minority now?

Started by Brazen, June 24, 2011, 03:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2011, 03:08:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2011, 03:05:28 PM
Although self-identification is certainly shaped by external factors. ^_^

Well yeah.  Though I did like your efforts to identify as Indian.

I was actually thinking about how I can/have identified myself as solely black but would feel weird saying I'm solely white.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2011, 03:11:19 PM
I was actually thinking about how I can/have identified myself as solely black but would feel weird saying I'm solely white.

I know that makes no sense.  But then the whole thing is silly.  I am sorta glad we have alot more different sorts of people now so maybe we can stop with the rigid black/white thing.

I was thinking how absurd it would be if I had married a black woman my kids would somehow not really be part of my family in some stupid way...at least according to society.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2011, 03:14:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2011, 03:11:19 PM

I know that makes no sense.  But then the whole thing is silly.  I am sorta glad we have alot more different sorts of people now so maybe we can stop with the rigid black/white thing.

I was thinking how absurd it would be if I had married a black woman my kids would somehow not really be part of my family in some stupid way...at least according to society.

:lol:

Now that's just silly.

Why reach for straws when there's plenty of nicely rooted branches?

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on June 27, 2011, 03:16:00 PM

Now that's just silly.

Why is it silly?  We have people questioning whether Obama is American enough when the American roots on his mothers side go back over 300 years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2011, 03:17:33 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 27, 2011, 03:16:00 PM

Now that's just silly.

Why is it silly?  We have people questioning whether Obama is American enough when the American roots on his mothers side go back over 300 years.

It's silly because even though your child would be a mongrel bastard, I don't think even the most unapologetic racist would claim you're not family.

Obama's place of birth is under fire, not his genetic heritage. What kind of asinine idiot would under the current political climate dispute Obama's eligibility for President on the basis that he's a jiggerboo?

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on June 27, 2011, 03:29:42 PM
It's silly because even though your child would be a mongrel bastard, I don't think even the most unapologetic racist would claim you're not family.

Except those kids usually are not considered mongrel bastards but 100% one thing or the other.  Which is what I was gettin' at.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2011, 03:31:15 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 27, 2011, 03:29:42 PM

Except those kids usually are not considered mongrel bastards but 100% one thing or the other.  Which is what I was gettin' at.

Then why not say that instead of what you did say?  :hmm:

Which is what I was getting at.  :sleep:

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on June 27, 2011, 03:41:07 PM
Then why not say that instead of what you did say?  :hmm:

I thought I did.  But if I did not then disregard what I first said.

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on June 27, 2011, 01:36:12 PM
I think you are right.
The latinos descend from native americans from the spanish colonies that learned to speak their conquerors' language.
Majority of mexicans appear to have zero spanish genes, anyway.
Not true.  Various genomic studies suggest that the typical Mexican has about 50% native, 40% European, and 10% other unique genomes, IIRC.  The percentage of uniquely European genomes increases as one goes north in the country, and as one's looks at higher social classes.

QuoteI'm pretty sure the majority of humankind are mixed race one way or another.
Which is why the concept of different "races" is so silly.  Self-identification is just guesswork based on anecdotes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2011, 03:32:16 PM
:yes: Robocop was 100% something.

Whoah.  A RoboCop tagline reference. Bravo sir.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"