News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Now that I discovered auto-aim, playing light tanks is way more fun.  You can't ever stop in them, so having the crosshairs fixed on the enemies while you're racing around them really helps out, especially when coming across an arty or an anti-tank piece.  I now consistently manage to kill 1 or 2 enemies, and sometimes more, even when being near the bottom of the list.

Slargos

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics

If you haven't already, check this out.

Some very important information in there.

For instance, I hadn't even considered that muzzle flashes might give up your position.  :hmm:

Shade

Quote from: DGuller on June 16, 2011, 06:09:12 PM
Quote from: Shade on June 16, 2011, 05:57:40 PM
Also I do not know if you know this but there is a forward and backward cruise control R is forward and I believe F is backward... ironic I know... Click it once and you go level one speed up to level 3 or 4 speed. Also if you press shift it automatically puts you in and out of a first person and third person perspective, great for sniping. If you did already know about this sorry to waste your time.
Didn't know there are several settings, which ironically is why I found it useless.

Also if you press it before the battle starts you start with the track going... great for being an early scout

Drakken

Quote from: Slargos on June 16, 2011, 07:00:32 PM
For instance, I hadn't even considered that muzzle flashes might give up your position.  :hmm:

Doesn't the red losange over your tank already give your position to the enemy?  :hmm:

Arvoreen

Just had a great battle....4 kills in my T1, down to 1 v 1, I manage to cap the flag seconds before the other side!  WOOT

Slargos

Quote from: Drakken on June 16, 2011, 10:55:27 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 16, 2011, 07:00:32 PM

Doesn't the red losange over your tank already give your position to the enemy?  :hmm:

Post ipso facto. :contract:

The muzzle flash is what paints you with the red marker. Hence, it's almost always better to stand behind the bush rather than inside it.

I've been very frustrated by the speed which they aquire you after firing, but yesterday I spent several matches just blasting away without return fire using this technique. It is apparently not widely understood, because it's only happened to me a handful of times that I've been fired upon and killed by an assailant that I couldn't see to return fire on [other than artillery which you'll naturally neither see nor hear until you are dead]

Slargos

Wrestled my way up to a JagdPzIV. 60k xp for the next one. This is gruelling work. But the joy of incinerating Russian tankers makes up for it.  :sleep:

Slargos

Well. Talk about demoralizing.

I just got the VK3601H and took it for a test spin and for once I was one of the 3 heaviest tanks so it should be a breeze, right? Wrong.

Picked the wrong route and was suddenly surrounded on all sides, but managed to extricate myself from the situation with 2 kills. Unfortunately the route I was now forced to take allowed the enemy to get a good advantage in numbers on the others and before long they had a 10-6 advantage. "No worries" thinks I, since all their heavies have been knocked out and it's just artillery and mediums left to worry about.

So I corner a dinky fucking Pz38 in a corner of the map that I've already knocked down to 30%. Not willing to let him sit there and hide since I'm worried he'll sneak around me and take out our remaining arty, I make the lumbering trek up the fucking hill he's hiding on, and when I get up I fire what I think will be a shot that will brush him off the map and let me get on with my business. No such luck. It goes wide. Return shot takes out my driver. Fuck.

So the next shot I take careful aim and figure that this time he'll be toast. Center mass, just below the turret, which typically guarantees at least some damage on heavier tanks, and generally kills the lights. Nothing. Not a single HP of damage. I don't hear it hit so it's either a ghost shell or it improbably missed again. Return shot hits my track and does marginal damage.

The artillery shell, however, does not do marginal damage. It takes about 80% of my hitpoints, and at this point I'm starting to get a bit agitated. I fire another shot into his right track, and the mother fucker bounces. Return shot chips another few piddly HP off me.

Second shot to the tracks bounces AGAIN. Artillery wipes me out.

I haven't felt this embarrassed since the erectile dysfunction incident in 2007.  :Embarrass:

Seen

Quote from: Slargos on June 15, 2011, 03:40:37 PM
If you want to ride an inferior vehicle.

From what I can tell, the KV is the only really viable option if you want to be competitive.

I'm shooting for the Tiger. Won't be caught riding that commie filth.  :mad:
Little bit of a necromancy here but I think the current consensus in our clan is that the T54 is to be most feared (of the mediums of course). And as an arty im for some reason much more afraid of them than panthers. Pershings ive seen do good things as well but they seem slower so less of a hassle. For me at least :D

Slargos

Quote from: Seen on June 19, 2011, 05:12:13 AM

From what I can tell, the KV is the only really viable option if you want to be competitive.

Little bit of a necromancy here but I think the current consensus in our clan is that the T54 is to be most feared (of the mediums of course). And as an arty im for some reason much more afraid of them than panthers. Pershings ive seen do good things as well but they seem slower so less of a hassle. For me at least :D

Letting lights get at the arty is just sloppy, so I agree that they shouldn't be a huge concern. I haven't faced the T54 a lot (if, actually, at all) so I can't really say.

Slargos

Sweet MERCY this game is intense.

I just found myself on Cliff piloting the Löwe, with my entire team save for a medium pushing east leaving me and the poor med to defend the flag. Naturally, they bogged down without getting much done against half the opposing team, while the other half came at our flag from the west. Through a bit of luck and judicious maneouvering, I took out 3 heavies and a medium while my colleague took out a heavy, a medium and a light together with a TD who returned from the attack to help us defend. Inconceivably, the eastern push (all 12 of them) were routed and 3 heavies remained of the attacking force. I managed to damage one and knock out another, while the TD knocked out a second. Jittery nerves caused me to fumble on the last heavy (fucker flanked me and I got stuck between a cliff-face and open ground with no time to get behind cover) adn he knocked me and the TD out. The remaining med ends up in a knife-fight and eventually takes out the heavy with 20% of his HP to spare.  :lol:

First time I've pulled a successful running defense against so many equal-tier tanks. Remarkable. And I was so close to the top gun.  :(

2000xp.  :cool:

Berkut

I've been having a lot of fun with the game, even with basically "starting over" once I realized I did not want to play an arty puke.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 03:59:26 PM
I've been having a lot of fun with the game, even with basically "starting over" once I realized I did not want to play an arty puke.

A good decision. I've amused myself with scoring improbable leading arty hits against speeding lights, but other than that it's not very interesting. I've found heavy tanks to be the most fun.

Seen

Quote from: Slargos on June 20, 2011, 03:27:51 PM
Quote from: Seen on June 19, 2011, 05:12:13 AM

Letting lights get at the arty is just sloppy, so I agree that they shouldn't be a huge concern. I haven't faced the T54 a lot (if, actually, at all) so I can't really say.

Your right there and all teammates should get a -1 when that happens!

But I was making a point about the tier 9 mediums and which one is better. Ill go for T54 if I wanted a medium anytime :D

Slargos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzyJEusS9RE

Looks like they're working on a new physics engine. No more gravity-tethers.

And it looks like it will be more Arcade. Trust the Russians to ruin a good thing.

A light just performed a 180 front-flip. Doesn't really seem very realistic.  <_<