News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Man, sounds like the game is going to be sold to Russians or something. That sucks.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

AFAIK the developer is Russian.

Seen

Quote from: Slargos on June 20, 2011, 05:07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzyJEusS9RE

Looks like they're working on a new physics engine. No more gravity-tethers.

And it looks like it will be more Arcade. Trust the Russians to ruin a good thing.

A light just performed a 180 front-flip. Doesn't really seem very realistic.  <_<
3 points:

- Ill need a script since i dont know russian and only see the same arcade there is already.
- She is the mother of my children
- My clan is mentioned @5.36 (double dutch) for winning the clan parade :) (im even in it!)

Slargos

Quote from: Seen on June 20, 2011, 05:39:30 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 20, 2011, 05:07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzyJEusS9RE

Looks like they're working on a new physics engine. No more gravity-tethers.

And it looks like it will be more Arcade. Trust the Russians to ruin a good thing.

A light just performed a 180 front-flip. Doesn't really seem very realistic.  <_<
3 points:

- Ill need a script since i dont know russian and only see the same arcade there is already.
- She is the mother of my children
- My clan is mentioned @5.36 (double dutch) for winning the clan parade :) (im even in it!)

What I'm talking about is the 40 ton tanks sent flying by an obviously flawed engine. Yes, it's possible for a tank to physically lift off the ground in the right conditions, but it seems highly improbable that one would be sent flying and doing a frontal flip.

But yes, that is an unusually hot Russian chick. She's probably of Rus stock.

Slargos

Slargos

I just noticed today that I've been playing this game far too much when a deep sense of unease emerged in the pit of my stomach as I was driving my car up a steep incline and thought "damn, gotta clear this quickly, I'm exposing my unarmoured undercarriage".

Threviel

Do you have a Maus yet?

Slargos

Fuck no.

VK3601 and JgPanther.

Although I have managed to get my avg gain up to 370xp per match, with around 500-1000 per game the last 100 or so.

DGuller

What's your secret to not sucking?

Slargos

3P: Practice, Patience, Physics.

When I got to using Tier-5+ vehicles, I learned that I actually have to aim carefully, and that for instance autoaim has a very limited use. There are weak spots for every vehicle that you need to memorize in order to make your shots count.

Additionally, respect for the physics engine. Leading your target, but also appreciating that the targeting reticle compensates for gravity so if you aim in front of the racing tank but for instance keep your reticle on a distant hill, you will overshoot the target since the computer will compensate for the distance. Also, angles. Rotating your tank 30 degrees will increase your effective armour and improve the chance of deflecting shots. All very intuitive if you understand and accept that the engine is relatively realistic in its behaviour.

Look for cover. Eventually you'll learn where good hull-down positions can be found, and with most tanks they are worth their weight in gold. Most high tier tanks are almost invulnerable when all you can hit are their turrets. A lucky shot may take the commander's hatch, but it's not easy to hit.

Personally, I'm instinctively drawn towards mobility and aggressive maneuver so I tend to find myself in situations where I am flanked and enfiladed in the open, with little to no support since the majority of players tend towards caution. I've learned to curb this behaviour somewhat, and will try to find where people are going before dashing away, and use cover rather than always attempt flanking. This game punishes lone wolf behaviour harshly.

I have about 600 matches so far, but it's only now that I'm starting to feel like I really have a grasp on the game.

Checking out the Wiki and finding the battle strategy guide was a real eye opener. It explains a lot of interesting details of how the game works.

Battle Mechanics - World Of Tanks

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

I am really having fun with this game.

Currently have:

1. PZ38t, this is my "main" so to speak. Trying to work up to the Pz38N, so I can then get to the mediums. But the amount of time it takes is kind of insane. 190k for the next light tank in the progression. I don't see how you guys move up the tree so fast. And playing it can suck a lot of times - not unusual to be on maps with a bunch of artillery, mediums, and a couple heavies. In which case it can be hard to get any kills.
2. PzJg I. This is my secondary vehicle, don't get any XP when I play this though, and don't want to spend the 80k to get the Marder until I get in the next light. But I am getting pretty good with it - key is patience.
3. T-26. This is tricked out, and may be my best means of getting cash. Since it is a T2 light, I am generally playing on maps without artillery, no heavies, and few mediums. With its high velocity 37mm gun, it handles pretty much anything out there, and it is a rare match I don't get 2-3 kills.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Premium account lets you progress much quicker, as you get more experience and credits per battle.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2011, 11:55:31 AM
Premium account lets you progress much quicker, as you get more experience and credits per battle.

Yeah, if you consider *net* experience/battle, premium is a pretty big boost.

Still, at $10/month at best, it is pretty pricey...

0 rows returned

Slargos

80k for Marder? I distinctly recall it beign much cheaper. Perhaps the cost is also lowered for premium. (Ah, you mean the entire path, got it. Taking it to fully upgraded is another 70k  :shutup: )

I've spent about $80 or so in 10 days, and although most of that was wasted on the Löwe and needless conversion from gold to credits (won't make that mistake again), I still consider it very good value for my money.

Just checked, 800 battles in 12 days.  :lol:

It's less than it sounds, since I only have a survival rate of 20% most of them end up quite short, with a majority probably under 5 minutes.

Edit: And another edit. You're talking about credits when discussing cost. It's been a few hundred matches since I considered credits as an obstacle so I guess I got confused for a bit. Later on the great cost of advancement will be XP, not credits. I'm currently working on the Tiger I and I need 45k XP which is about 90-100 games at the rate I'm going. The problem doesn't stop there, however, as the Tiger I in stock configuration is basically just a slower VK3601 with more hitpoints (and so the rumour goes, more weak spots) but while the added HP may seem nice to have you will also face higher tier competition with the Tiger so it's actually a great step back. It's something like another 30k xp to get upgrades to make the Tiger I interesting to run, which means another 60-80 battles.

I've been using gold to convert XP from my elite tanks in order to speed things up, since I can often net between 1-2k XP per match with the Löwe on a good day (IE when I'm not facing Maus, IS-7 and the like).

The way I see it, sure they've got me nicely hooked since while I'm enjoying the game as is right now it's frustrating to always be the mid or low tier tank and I desperately want the big leagues. I figure I can stop trying so hard once I hit the Tiger II and the Elephant, but if it means less boring grind I will happily shell out a few bucks extra per tier. I have more money to waste than time, after all.

Remember, btw, that it's damage that accounts for the most XP and not kills. This means that as you face heavier enemies your potential for XP earning goes up aswell.