News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gotta keep'em separated

Started by citizen k, June 03, 2011, 12:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

A news item for the gays, lawtalkers and gay lawtalkers.

QuoteGay softball league limit on straight players OK'd
By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press

SEATTLE – A federal judge in Seattle says a gay softball organization can limit the number of heterosexual players on each team.

The North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance oversees gay softball leagues in dozens of U.S. cities and runs an annual tournament called the Gay Softball World Series. Three men claim in a lawsuit that their team's second-place finish in the 2008 tournament in Washington state was nullified because they are bisexual, not gay, and thus their team exceeded the limit of two non-gay players.

U.S. District Judge John Coughenour ruled this week that the organization has a First Amendment right to limit the number of heterosexual players. However, the judge did say that questions remain about the way the softball association applied its rule, and so the case can proceed.

MadImmortalMan

Agreed on the free association point--this is the same as the male-only golf club cases. But it does smack of bigotry, and is probably not a good strategic move.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Interesting that the article makes is about straight people when the lawsuit wasn't about them...interesting. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

So are whites-only clubs permissible?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2011, 01:15:36 AM
Interesting that the article makes is about straight people when the lawsuit wasn't about them...interesting. :rolleyes:

That's because the article is about the decision, which has to do with straights.

Martinus

I always wonder how they are going to enforce a rule that discriminates people based on their sexuality.  :cool:

Martinus

Anyway, I find this a rather retarded move on behalf of the organizers. The gay leagues of various kinds were formed because of homophobia among "mainstream" sport organizations, where players could not be openly gay without facing strong ostracism and often being forced to quit. Now that straight and bisexual people want to join, I fail to see why they should be kept out. Homophobic behaviour from such people should not be tolerated, once they join of course, but that's that.

It only makes gay leagues look like some sort of "special olympics" things, where we are afraid that "normal" people would come in and win all the prizes or something.  :rolleyes:

Edit: Not to mention, keeping bisexuals out is especially retarded. Whatever happened to LGBTQ?

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on June 03, 2011, 01:24:28 AM

To paraphrase Mark Twain, I would never join a club that would have you as a member.

Slargos

As you yourself have amply shown here, the belief that faggotry is some sort of shield against all tendancies towards discrimination and bigotry is erroneous on a level similar to the belief that the world is flat.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on June 03, 2011, 01:46:59 AM
As you yourself have amply shown here, the belief that faggotry is some sort of shield against all tendancies towards discrimination and bigotry is erroneous on a level similar to the belief that the world is flat.

I don't understand your post (even if I correct the typos in my head).

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2011, 01:45:40 AM

To paraphrase Mark Twain, I would never join a club that would have you as a member.

I shall also paraphrase Twain: I hope you're kerb-stomped by a gang of your countrymen's finest.

Razgovory

I believe so.  White only businesses, not so much.  Personally, I think we could start phasing out laws against refusal to serve in a private business.  Since you get really bad publicity refusing to serve someone now, I think that's enough of a deterrent.  The laws have served
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2011, 01:49:52 AM

I believe so.  White only businesses, not so much.  Personally, I think we could start phasing out laws against refusal to serve in a private business.  Since you get really bad publicity refusing to serve someone now, I think that's enough of a deterrent.  The laws have served

The problem is, this may be true in New York City, but not necessarily in rural Kentucky.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2011, 01:45:40 AM

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?  I mean, I would find that disheartening after a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2011, 01:52:11 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2011, 01:49:52 AM

The problem is, this may be true in New York City, but not necessarily in rural Kentucky.

Probably rural Kentucky as well.

Also, It seems my power went off and I couldn't finish my original post.  Ah well.