Game of Thrones fans, who would you follow

Started by Zoupa, May 30, 2011, 05:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As a freerider at the outset of the War, who would you pledge your sword to?

Joffrey Baratheon
2 (7.1%)
Stannis Baratheon
3 (10.7%)
Renly Baratheon
4 (14.3%)
Robb Stark
7 (25%)
Balon Greyjoy
1 (3.6%)
Daenerys Targaryen
8 (28.6%)
Mance Rayder
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Martinus

I love how Robb has the majority, considering he is probably the most clueless of all the pretenders (technically, Joffrey is probably even more of a tard but he has his grandpa and uncle to scheme for him at least).

Sophie Scholl

Oh?  He at least had success on the battlefield.  What did Renly do?  Hold tournaments and build siege engines he never even used while inching his way toward King's Landing?  Robb got screwed over on a couple occasions on a level not seen by the other parties, yet still manged to keep things going longer than most.  Renly has what exactly?  One of the weakest legitimacy claims, an older brother to divide loyalties amongst his family's supporters, an alliance due to his boyfriend, and grand thoughts of himself being a good ruler because people like him for his parties and flashiness?  Feh.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2011, 07:37:47 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 30, 2011, 07:25:24 PM
I'm not sure why Stannis is considered a bad ruler, other than he doesn't throw parties.

Who does the watery tart with the scimitar support?
Wasn't the one lobbing the scimitar a moistened bint?  :unsure:

Technically, Stannis did have a sword distributed to him by a strange woman lighting fires.

Slargos

Easy answer: Depends on where I was born.

How many free agents exist in this universe, and what manner of people are they? Opportunists, spies and criminals. Would likely work for Lannister or one of the even more dubious people in that case.

As portrayed, I think the Starks would naturally be the kind of people who would inspire loyalty which would be attractive. Who am I in this scenario? A sell-sword? A noble of a small house? A peasant? Can't really answer without knowing my motivations.  :hmm:

Edit: Nevermind. My question is partly answered in the poll question. Lannister pays the best, and without knowing my motivations I'm going to assume they're financial.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Slargos

Voted Greyjoy in the end, because I like their style.  :D

Tamas

Quote from: Slargos on May 31, 2011, 04:23:44 AM
Voted Greyjoy in the end, because I like their style.  :D

a racist scandinavian going with the vikings? stop the presses!

Agelastus

Daenerys Targaryen.

On the grounds that, as I don't read the books, a reputedly pretty girl who just happens to be both the rightful heir and in need of support from within Westeros sounds like the most advantageous choice to me.

Are we supposing here that we are powerful enough Lords to get away with suggesting  that oneself would be an appropriate candidate for "Prince Consort"?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Martinus

Quote from: Agelastus on May 31, 2011, 05:24:08 AM
Daenerys Targaryen.

On the grounds that, as I don't read the books, a reputedly pretty girl who just happens to be both the rightful heir and in need of support from within Westeros sounds like the most advantageous choice to me.

Are we supposing here that we are powerful enough Lords to get away with suggesting  that oneself would be an appropriate candidate for "Prince Consort"?

You are a "freerider", so no.

Faeelin

You know, despite Ned's purported honor, I thought Sunday's episode exposed that he's a tad hypocritical. He did help overthrow the mad king, despite his "blood." So obviously he will overthrow the monarchy when needed. But suddenly it matters whether it's Renly or Stannis?

Slargos

Quote from: Faeelin on May 31, 2011, 06:23:06 AM
You know, despite Ned's purported honor, I thought Sunday's episode exposed that he's a tad hypocritical. He did help overthrow the mad king, despite his "blood." So obviously he will overthrow the monarchy when needed. But suddenly it matters whether it's Renly or Stannis?

There is a bit of inconsistency there, yes. Keep in mind though, that we don't really have a clear picture of the situation that led to the uprising. He's obviously not the kind of mindless drone who will "honourably" defend the proper chain of command regardless of the situation, but he clearly doesn't consider his personal safety in the decision making process.

HVC

I think once a king kills your father, brother, And sister the whole fealty thing goes out the window
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: Slargos on May 31, 2011, 06:35:17 AM
Keep in mind though, that we don't really have a clear picture of the situation that led to the uprising.

We do have the full picture. Aerys went bonkers and wanted Ned's and Robert's heads on a spike, after the complaints by Brandon and Rickard Stark after Lyanna's abduction by Rhaegar that got them both gruseomely executed. Fully justified rebellion.