Game of Thrones fans, who would you follow

Started by Zoupa, May 30, 2011, 05:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As a freerider at the outset of the War, who would you pledge your sword to?

Joffrey Baratheon
2 (7.1%)
Stannis Baratheon
3 (10.7%)
Renly Baratheon
4 (14.3%)
Robb Stark
7 (25%)
Balon Greyjoy
1 (3.6%)
Daenerys Targaryen
8 (28.6%)
Mance Rayder
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on June 01, 2011, 02:06:21 AM
Well, if you want to be nitpicky, she was never an uncontested queen. Aegon II ascended to the throne after Viserys I and Rhaenyra was the challenger to the throne.

As far as I remember, it was the other way around.  Aegon II wanted her to rule after him and put as much in his will, only for others not to accept such a matter which lead to the first Dance of Dragons.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Slargos

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2011, 01:56:10 AM
Quote from: Siege on May 31, 2011, 06:38:28 PM
Stannis.

Daenerys is a woman and cannot inherit.

:contract:

Though, there seems to be some contention on that matter, as well, since the current Targaryen line descends from a usurped queen.

The mistake you make is treating this like Natural law.

Certainly, to rule without the implied consent of tradition is going to be harder than with it, but it just requires more swords.

That new dynasty has to start somewhere.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on June 01, 2011, 02:02:24 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2011, 01:53:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 01, 2011, 01:41:44 AM
It is stated that the Baratheon-Targaryen connection is disputed and probably invented just to justify Robert's usurpation.

Where is this stated?

Well, ok, the founder of the house was "rumoured" to be a bastard brother of Aegon the Conqueror. That's a pretty flimsy connection, even if it was true.

That relates to the founding of House Baratheon, which is semi-mythical, but Robert's (and Stannis' and Renly's for that matter) paternal grandmother was a Targaryen, which is from whom they drew their claim to the throne.

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2011, 02:09:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 01, 2011, 02:06:21 AM
Well, if you want to be nitpicky, she was never an uncontested queen. Aegon II ascended to the throne after Viserys I and Rhaenyra was the challenger to the throne.

As far as I remember, it was the other way around.  Aegon II wanted her to rule after him and put as much in his will, only for others not to accept such a matter which lead to the first Dance of Dragons.

Nope, it was Viserys I who put her in his will, but Aegon II (her brother) managed to succeed him nonetheless. He then prompted to kill her during the Dance of Dragons, but was succeeded by Aegon III, her son.

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on June 01, 2011, 02:02:24 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2011, 01:53:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 01, 2011, 01:41:44 AM
It is stated that the Baratheon-Targaryen connection is disputed and probably invented just to justify Robert's usurpation.

Where is this stated?

Well, ok, the founder of the house was "rumoured" to be a bastard brother of Aegon the Conqueror. That's a pretty flimsy connection, even if it was true.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rhaelle_Targaryen

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

I would pledge my sword to the Return of the Queen.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2011, 09:12:47 AM

Yep Robert's grandfathermother was a Targ and his great-grandfather was Aegon V.
Fixed, as I understand it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!