Main Menu

WTF is wrong with Germany?!

Started by Tamas, May 30, 2011, 03:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on May 30, 2011, 10:25:08 AM
We'll just do more of this:

Heh, I had a teacher who always complained about that kind of pictures for being misleading and sensationalistic.  :lol: Those clouds are almost surely water vapour and non contaminant. The really dangerous and tricky chimneys are the smaller ones with no plumes coming out of them.

Neil

Water vapour is a greenhouse gas!  Think of the environment and stuff.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on May 30, 2011, 07:55:18 AM

Do you want to know a German who tried to gave the German perspective on Germany to the world?

Hitler

Hitler was Austrian.

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 30, 2011, 07:51:50 AM
Quote from: Zanza2 on May 30, 2011, 07:43:47 AM
Fukushima was just the catalyst of this policy by the way. In 2002, the government agreed with the nuclear industry to phase out nuclear power by 2022. In 2010, the current government decided to prolong the lifetime of some reactors by up to 14 years. Now they go back to the original date of 2022. So what you guys seem to think of as a new policy is actually already almost 10 years old.

Stop trying to give a German's perspective on Germany  :mad:
The German perspective seems to be that this may be foolishness, but if so it is ten-year-old foolishness and thus... what?  Why should anyone, German or not, care whether the policy originally was proposed ten years ago or ten minutes ago?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2011, 11:14:07 AMThe German perspective seems to be that this may be foolishness, but if so it is ten-year-old foolishness and thus... what?  Why should anyone, German or not, care whether the policy originally was proposed ten years ago or ten minutes ago?
I am just surprised about the international media echo which I could better understand if this was a new policy and not just going back to an old target date.

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2011, 06:06:10 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 30, 2011, 04:11:05 AM
1) Shale gas was is everywhere, in shitloads. The luddites are trying to stop that as well with their attacks on Fracking..

And with good reason.

Elaborate?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Zanza on May 30, 2011, 11:22:51 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2011, 11:14:07 AMThe German perspective seems to be that this may be foolishness, but if so it is ten-year-old foolishness and thus... what?  Why should anyone, German or not, care whether the policy originally was proposed ten years ago or ten minutes ago?
I am just surprised about the international media echo which I could better understand if this was a new policy and not just going back to an old target date.
Why?  People bitched about it ten years ago because it was stupid, and then it changed, and now it changed back, and so now people are bitching about how it's stupid again?  Why are you having difficulty understanding that?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on May 30, 2011, 11:35:47 AM
1) Shale gas was is everywhere, in shitloads. The luddites are trying to stop that as well with their attacks on Fracking..
And with good reason.
Elaborate?
Gay Fox hates Alberta.

Viking

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 30, 2011, 07:38:45 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 30, 2011, 04:11:05 AM2) The Fukushima Reactor survived the earthquake and the tsunami without any problem. The powerplants problem was, however, that the eartquake took out the local electricity grid and the tsunami took out the powerplants diesel generators. This was the worst case scenario, biggest possible earthquake followed by the biggest possible tsunami. Note, the modern reactors at fukushima have provided no problems, while the 1960s era reactors had the problems.
So? The result is still that there is a considerable area around the reactor that is possibly uninhabitable for decades. I bet that we will all witness another of those once in a million years nuclear disasters in our lifetime.

So? Zanza1 posted a nice picture of a considerable area around a reactor (in this case a carbon oxidizing reactor) that will be uninhabitable for decades. I know that each year we witness a disaster from coal waste products ten times larger than all accidents in all nuclear power plants so far in history.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2011, 11:37:46 AM
And with good reason.
Elaborate?
Gay Fox hates Alberta.

I love alberta, thats why I want to dig up as much of it, shower it with steam and then take the oily water that results, separate out the oil and sell it to the americans for great profit.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 30, 2011, 07:51:50 AM
Quote from: Zanza2 on May 30, 2011, 07:43:47 AM
Fukushima was just the catalyst of this policy by the way. In 2002, the government agreed with the nuclear industry to phase out nuclear power by 2022. In 2010, the current government decided to prolong the lifetime of some reactors by up to 14 years. Now they go back to the original date of 2022. So what you guys seem to think of as a new policy is actually already almost 10 years old.

Stop trying to give a German's perspective on Germany  :mad:
The German perspective seems to be that this may be foolishness, but if so it is ten-year-old foolishness and thus... what?  Why should anyone, German or not, care whether the policy originally was proposed ten years ago or ten minutes ago?

Zanza could have also mentioned that the agreement of 2002 was Schröder at its finest, getting the Greens on his side (no more nuclear power) and being a good comrade to Putin (natural gas). The German right-wing e.g Merkel was against it back then.
In the meantime, more coal !

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2011, 04:04:09 AM
Haven't the Germans always had a bit more of an issue with nuclear than most Euros?  My impression is that they've had one of the earliest and strongest anti-nuclear movements for decades.

It goes well with the "we're pussies now, look, we're not scary no more" persona.

Zoupa

And with good reason.

Elaborate?

Watch Gasland. They're digging for that shit all around my grandparent's village back in France. Documentary is spot on. What really flabergasts me is that instead of investing in renewable energy or at least building another reactor, they wanna go for shale instead. LOL LETS FUCK UP EVERYBODY'S LIFE COZ WE CAN LULZ.

Grey Fox

And with good reason.

Elaborate?

Stop. Wasting. Perfectly. Good. Water.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.