And we're back!

Main Menu

WTF is wrong with Germany?!

Started by Tamas, May 30, 2011, 03:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: ulmont on June 01, 2011, 11:01:00 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 01, 2011, 05:13:45 AM
You mention one possible and poorly documented source of harm from the activity.

There's also the cases where people just leak fluid everywhere.  A quite well documented source of harm.

and how is that relevant?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2011, 06:44:40 AM
Viking, FU, I wanted Tywin as avatar!

use this guy...

still no craster casting news, so I can't suggest you use him...  :lmfao:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2011, 08:26:27 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 30, 2011, 05:50:24 PM
Heavy loads landing on someone, falls from significant heights, plenty of high voltage equipment around, motor accidents on crappy rural paths, natural disasters ...

I know of at least 2 mortal work-related accidents - fall and electrocution - and a couple near misses - you don't want to be anywhere near a solar power plant when a tornado hits and 9-ton structures are flying around.

Now take into account that the production of all the plants I've worked on combined during their 20 to 25 year life will be dwarfed by that of a single reactor and that's how solar or wind end up being more dangerous.

Not really sure that you're arguing in good faith if you want to cite that a natural disaster makes a particular type of structure dangerous.

Besides as has already been said, people care more about the danger to general pop and not just the working crew. After all, when the danger occurs to the larger, general pop, the fatalities are on a much larger scale.

To be fair though, I understand you were just answering Yi's question about danger period. :hug:
I used the tornado example because it happened a couple of years ago at one of our plants near Seville (where tornadoes are anything but common). About 40 solar trackers were torn from their supporting structures and blown up to 200 m. The two security guards on duty were extremely lucky.

The intention was to point out that natural disasters do not just affect nuclear plants like Fukushima.