WTF is wrong with Germany?!

Started by Tamas, May 30, 2011, 03:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2011, 12:26:46 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 30, 2011, 11:35:47 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2011, 06:06:10 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 30, 2011, 04:11:05 AM
1) Shale gas was is everywhere, in shitloads. The luddites are trying to stop that as well with their attacks on Fracking..

And with good reason.

Elaborate?

Stop. Wasting. Perfectly. Good. Water.

1 - fracking fluids are not necessarily water, or even water based, depends on downhole pressure, though they usually are
2 - fracking happens in sedimentary formations below the water table.
3 - the water used for fracking is much less than was used during drilling and is usually the same water that was used during drilling

duude, are you a poe?

Water table
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I have no idea what Viking is talking about, but I trust him we he talks about digging holes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2011, 07:02:16 PM
I have no idea what Viking is talking about, but I trust him we he talks about digging holes.

<_< is that some euphemism for ghey?  :hmm:

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I wanted to avoid using the word "Drilling".  Actually, I meant it as respect.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2011, 07:11:34 PM

I should have known... you don't do subtlety

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on May 30, 2011, 07:25:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2011, 07:11:34 PM

I should have known... you don't do subtlety

Nope. :lol:  Actually, I respect your opinion on sciencey things.  I sucked at science in school (the only one I could do remotely well was biology).

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on May 30, 2011, 05:50:24 PM
Heavy loads landing on someone, falls from significant heights, plenty of high voltage equipment around, motor accidents on crappy rural paths, natural disasters ...

I know of at least 2 mortal work-related accidents - fall and electrocution - and a couple near misses - you don't want to be anywhere near a solar power plant when a tornado hits and 9-ton structures are flying around.

Now take into account that the production of all the plants I've worked on combined during their 20 to 25 year life will be dwarfed by that of a single reactor and that's how solar or wind end up being more dangerous.

Not really sure that you're arguing in good faith if you want to cite that a natural disaster makes a particular type of structure dangerous.

Besides as has already been said, people care more about the danger to general pop and not just the working crew. After all, when the danger occurs to the larger, general pop, the fatalities are on a much larger scale.

To be fair though, I understand you were just answering Yi's question about danger period. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Just because he's in the business doesn't mean it's a morally, ethically and environmentally correct business.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2011, 10:09:52 PM

Just because he's in the business doesn't mean it's a morally, ethically and environmentally correct business.

That depends, what definition do you have for morality, ethics and environmental correctness?

Razgovory

We can't all have the moral superiority of working at Best Buy.

ulmont

Quote from: Viking on May 31, 2011, 03:34:07 PM

That depends, what definition do you have for morality, ethics and environmental correctness?

I'm thinking causing potentially-explosive levels of methane in people's water is...wrong.

Viking

Quote from: ulmont on May 31, 2011, 08:17:16 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 31, 2011, 03:34:07 PM

I'm thinking causing potentially-explosive levels of methane in people's water is...wrong.

You make a compelling argument for banning beans. You mention one possible and poorly documented source of harm from the activity. Methane has a solubility in water of 0.02 g/kg at at room temperature, CO2 has 1.2 g/kg at the same temperature. Methane is not very water soluable so it is going to remain as a gas, and if fracking does open a path into permeable formation methan will migrate only if it can migrate up and will only collect if it travels up into a trap (upside down u of impermable layers that can collect the migrating methane). These specific conditions can easily be identified with surface seismic surveys.

That said, the likelyhood of methane release into the formation is low, if it is released the conditions for it accumulating are highly improbable (they are just as likely as regular natural gas being found drilling randomly). Is it possible? Yes, but it is possible in the same sense that after inviting Jaron over for Quesedillas and Enchiladas enough fart accumulated under the roof to be ignited by the light being turned on.

Fracking is not some magical super high tech activity. It is breaking rocks 1000 ft under the ground, nothing more, nothing less.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 03:58:50 PM

We can't all have the moral superiority of working at Best Buy.

You saying RewardZone(tm) Points aren't morally superior?  :mad:

Tamas

Viking, FU, I wanted Tywin as avatar!

ulmont

Quote from: Viking on June 01, 2011, 05:13:45 AM
You mention one possible and poorly documented source of harm from the activity.

There's also the cases where people just leak fluid everywhere.  A quite well documented source of harm.