News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Late Republican Rome

Started by Eddie Teach, May 30, 2011, 10:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which 1st Century BC Roman do you most resemble?

Marius
2 (6.3%)
Sulla
2 (6.3%)
Lucullus
1 (3.1%)
Soranus
2 (6.3%)
Cicero
4 (12.5%)
Caesar
1 (3.1%)
Pompey
1 (3.1%)
Crassus
0 (0%)
Cato
4 (12.5%)
Clodius
0 (0%)
Brutus
1 (3.1%)
Antony
2 (6.3%)
Octavian
11 (34.4%)
Other
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on June 02, 2011, 10:41:28 AM
You are probably overstating your case a bit.  The Byzantines didn't really loose much of this.  Neither did the Arabs.  Again, I think the peculiarly dramatic decline of the West had a lot more to do with it's dependence on the East in the Roman period.  The Renaissance was made possible in part by the fact that the West finally *did* have access to centers of learning and wealth in the East, in the form of cultural and economic contact with the Islamic world and the mass exodus of Byzantines. 
I think you are engaging in a bit of post hoc ergo propter hoc reasoning, here.  The secular knowledge of the Roman Empire was not preserved because it had little or no utility to a church based on mysteries and miracles, and where the church became the only reservoir of knowledge it jettisoned that which was secular as being either useless or actively harmful.  The Renaissance was spurred in part by the influx of Byzantine refugees, for sure, but also by the collapse of the church as the central organizing agent of Western civilization.  That's my take.

Not that my speculation is really any better-founded than yours, of course.   :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2011, 10:58:58 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2011, 05:43:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2011, 04:55:22 PM
If Raz has read Euthyphro he is going to stay well clear of that question.

That is if he read it and understood it.
Perhaps.  I don't understand his concept myself (hence the question), but it scarcely seems possible that Raz can steer clear of, or misunderstand, his own concept:lol:

You are the perfect Socrates to Raz's Euthyphro.  Just replace piety with seriousness and all it works quite well right down the Raz's certainty that he knows exactly what he is talking about and your inquiry to learn that what it is he thinks he knows.

Not sure what made me think of it but the structure of your questions to Raz reminded me of that particular dialogue.

Yes, but what does this have to do with Operation Compass?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2011, 12:25:15 PM
Yes, but what does this have to do with Operation Compass?

So you are saying you are as wrong about this as I was about that?

Razgovory

I'm surprised you admit you were wrong!  At the time you always couched it with the word "If".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2011, 12:30:55 PM
I'm surprised you admit you were wrong!  At the time you always couched it with the word "If".

If you had been paying attention I told Grumbler I was wrong about that a long time ago.

Razgovory

crazy canuck

No that I have set a good example, you just need to follow it.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2011, 01:10:54 PM
No that I have set a good example, you just need to follow it.

I will No that.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.