Neuroscientists say brains of Apple fanatics the same as religious fanatics

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2011, 06:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2011, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 24, 2011, 10:05:18 AM
Your Apple fanaticism must be blinding you - to the fact that any serious response to the bullshit pseudo-science "theory" in the OP is, predictably, going to result in you being trolled.  ;)
I can see the torches, pitchforks, pleated pants, and latte brigade up in arms already.

Would not one of these be more appropriate than a torch, pitchfork, pleated pants, or latte?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CDhg45g4-aQ/R1-MY9eFZaI/AAAAAAAAAHI/m7gMUCtDVx4/s400/yap+trolling+lures.jpg

I suppose you could put one *in* a latte ... or in a pair of pleated pants. :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Pat

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Pat on May 24, 2011, 12:16:51 PM
BTW I might add, the best (and the most honest) argument for religion I've heard is that if you don't believe in religion, that doesn't mean you believe in nothing, it means you believe in everything. There is some sense to that...
You may believe that, but I don't.  :cool:

It is actually one of the most dishonest arguments for religion I have ever heard; the old "if you don't think A, you must think B (which is worse)".
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

BTW I might add, the best (and the most honest) argument for religion I've heard is that if you don't believe in religion, that doesn't mean you believe in nothing, it means you believe in everything. There is some sense to that...
There is some sense to that, of the "non" variety.

P.S.  Thanks to grumbler for parsing that wall of text.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2011, 12:42:09 PM

It is actually one of the most dishonest arguments for religion I have ever heard; the old "if you don't think A, you must think B (which is worse)".

Not to mention that even if it were a valid argument, it fails at answering the question of which religion one should believe anyway!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 24, 2011, 12:46:25 PM
Not to mention that even if it were a valid argument, it fails at answering the question of which religion one should believe anyway!
If I understand the argument correctly, if you don't believe in (e.g.) Catholicism, you believe in everything (including, e.g., Catholicism).  Kinda wacky, but that's religion for you!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Pat

Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2011, 12:44:16 PM
There is some sense to that, of the "non" variety.

P.S.  Thanks to grumbler for parsing that wall of text.

12 lines a wall of text for you? ;)

Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2011, 12:42:09 PM

Presumably anything would be better than modernity, if you can't stand modernity.

Pat

Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2011, 12:56:22 PM
If I understand the argument correctly, if you don't believe in (e.g.) Catholicism, you believe in everything (including, e.g., Catholicism).  Kinda wacky, but that's religion for you!  :lol:

You don't understand it correctly, they mean that it makes it possible to believe in everything no matter how silly, i.e. stuff like the excesses of the '68 left.

DGuller

Quote from: Pat on May 24, 2011, 01:15:25 PM
By Internet standards that's Great Wall of China, and it's 15 lines on my work screen.  Anything with paragraphs over 3-4 lines is so annoying to read that I'm not going to bother, unless it's written by Minsky or equivalent.  You're not quite in his class, sorry. :console:

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2011, 02:03:10 PM
By Internet standards that's Great Wall of China, and it's 15 lines on my work screen.  Anything with paragraphs over 3-4 lines is so annoying to read that I'm not going to bother, unless it's written by Minsky or equivalent.  You're not quite in his class, sorry. :console:

Would you read my wall of text???
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on May 24, 2011, 02:31:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2011, 02:03:10 PM

Would you read my wall of text???
:hmm:  I'll allow you an extra line or two once in a while, but only if you don't abuse it.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.